Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: l2 ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 10:29AM

to outsiders is disceiving to the general public. I asked a non member friend what she thought of it and what she thought the wedding was like.

She thought that the inside of the temple was probably like a sanctuary/chapel and the couple would walk down the aisle and stand in front of the minister/bishop and say their vows. Very cinderellaly.

And the reason it was family and close friends only was because there wasn't very much room inside.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 02:10PM

Their pictures in People magazine were cute, I wish them only the best.

They got married at the Laie temple and had a reception at the Polynesian Cultural Center, where they also took in the evening show.

Their honeymoon was at Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore, which is a very nice place.

One picture showed Elisabeth horseback riding on the beach.
The couple certainly got off to a very romantic start, which is great.

Posted by: dclarkfan1 ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 02:45PM

Most likely at the church's expense

Posted by: ExmoDad ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 02:52PM

Yeah well, it's not typical for any Mormon to marry this way.

It is more the way of rich Mormons only, such as Steve Young, who married there.

Ed Smart is a rich man, apparently!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 04:53PM

Honestly, exmodad, it's not as bad as you'd think. Right after I got married, I figured out how much I'd spent on my two wedding receptions (typical Mormon fashion - one in the groom's hometown for his ward and one in my parent's town), and all the related wedding expenses. They were half what my non-LDS cousins had spent on their weddings, so my dad was delighted by how frugal I was but when you don't have a sit down dinner, money goes a lot farther. Anyway, I figured we could have gotten discount tickets to Hawaii for my mom, dad and sister and my husband's parents and siblings, rented 2 condos for them for 5 days, married in the temple in a less expensive wedding dress, gotten flowers for me, hired a photographer and taken everyone out to dinner after the reception at a restaurant for about what I spent on the wedding I did have. Now, granted, everyone would have had to pay for the rest of their meals and rental cars and sight seeing on their own and I'm not including the price of my honeymoon in that budget - but we could have pulled it off for a reasonable price. Of course, we got married in the off-season too like Elizabeth Smart did but if you think of all the costs related to a wedding, you can actually pull off a Hawaii elopement without too much more trouble - if you are careful and budget very well.

Posted by: ExmoDad ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 02:09AM

Well, honestly, I grew up Mormon surrounded by gaggles of girls who got married to RMs and also went to BYU and never met a single couple who got married in Hawaii.

The first I ever heard of a member going there for a Temple wedding was Steve Young. Most everyone wanted to be married in SLC (gag)

What I'm trying to convey is that most American Mormons don't get married in Hawaii, only a handful probably do.

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 04:54PM

ExmoDad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah well, it's not typical for any Mormon to
> marry this way.
>
> It is more the way of rich Mormons only, such as
> Steve Young, who married there.
>
> Ed Smart is a rich man, apparently!

As I understand it, Ed Smart does very well for himself. I am still glad Elizabeth is happy though. She deserves it after the hell she went through.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 08:00PM

Oh I guess they would not be interested. Oh well.

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 05:08PM

Loved the kilt the young man was wearing, and the beautiful photo of Elizabeth on the cover.

Does anyone know what the husband does for a living?

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 08:25PM

I wonder if he wore that kilt like a true Scotsman?

;-)

(I doubt he did.)

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 12:25AM

That kilt was long enough to cover the groom's magic underwear?!

All kidding aside . . . I think Elizabeth has been nothing but grace under fire throughout her entire ordeal. I sincerely hope she finds happiness and love in her new marriage.

;o)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 12:58AM by shannon.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 08:04PM

My family would be totally on board with that. But first of course, I'll need a man. ;-)

Posted by: anonincali ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 08:18PM

Someone asked whet he foes - read that they will be living in Salt Lake area where he is a student ... any guesses as to where?

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 12:16AM

The pictures are beautiful, Elizabeth had a topnotch wedding and she deserved it.

I don't know who paid for it but there is nothing discount-y about Turtle Bay Resort.

It is also the resort where "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" was filmed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.