Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 10:55AM

I mean it kind of makes me sometimes think that I shouldn't be trusted with sharp objects, and should have to walk around with a football helmet glued to my head, less I hurt myself. Anyone else sometimes feel this way?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 10:59AM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 11:21AM

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 03:40PM

Yes...definitely yes. My son (who is 39) told me there were several times he wanted to knock me over the head to wake up. Poor son. He loves me enough to let me be stupid, lol. He is thrilled that we are outta there!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 03:44PM

...and I had a hard time breaking away from that kind of brainwashing. It got me into some nasty situations.

One of my old HS friends is still amazed I ever believed any of it and I explained, "When you are brought up in it and threatened physically, emotionally, and spiritually if you don't comply, it leaves you in survival mode. You have no choice but to believe it till you get away from the abuse."

I hate some of the crap I used to justify and spout, but I realize it was that or suffer more abuse.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 03:50PM

Definately.

Like many others here, I consider myself to have significantly above average intelligence, holding a First Class Master's degree obtained with relatively little effort, and consistently finishing top of the class. Although I never fully indulged in Mormonism, despite being BIC, I did in actuality believe every doctrine and dogma. I accepted everything I was taught, without question, even though this was uncharacteristic in every other aspect of my life.

I will always retain an interest in why clever people believe in stupid things.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 06:44PM

In John Dehlin’s study (dated 1/30/2012) of over 3000 exmo respondents, here were the percentages regarding educational level:
“27% ‘Some College,’ 39% college grad, 21% masters, 10% doctorate." In short, approximately *** 97% *** of those exmos surveyed had “some college” education or more!

Yes: We, too, were fooled; but at least, we woke up and left the cult!

link to Dehlin’s study:
http://whymormonsleave.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Mormon_Stories_FC.pdf

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 04:21PM

by "what would I do?" not, "what would they do?" I still do it. I'm becoming more and more cynical as my life goes on.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 06:07PM

Definitely. I was superstitious in so many ways and yet even then knew some of it was off. I remember thinking how dumb other people were for believing in their obvious (to me) made up religions but not applying that same standard to mine. Now I look back at myself in amazement. It is humbling and grounding to realize i could be so wrong about something.

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 06:17PM

I totally did. Until anagrammy wrote a post that made me feel better about being a sucker for it. I wished I saved it.

Even though I can't remember what it said, I don't kick myself for falling for TSCC's BS

Posted by: Can't Resist ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 06:19PM

"It is humbling and grounding to realize i could be so wrong about something." Thanks for articulating Onendagus... this is what i value most about my insane mormon experience.

Posted by: UKNevermo ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 06:21PM

to freeman: If you believed in every doctrine, what made you get out?

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 06:27PM

When I learned that the "facts" underpinning my belief were false, most significantly the BoA. Where there were not facts, I believed in faith. When the faith vanished overnight, so did the belief.

Posted by: josephsmyth ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 06:47PM

Now I know how I believed it.
It's like Carl Sagan said, "Religion is simply a community of people who gather together on a regular basis to reassure each other that it's ok to continue subscribing to absurdities. But for me it's far better to see the world the way it really exists, rather than persist in delusion, no matter how comforting or reassuring that may seem."

I needed a community and the one I was born into seemed like the most natural one at the time. It didn't seem absurd to me at the time, since I'd look around me and see Doctors, Dentists, Attorneys, Engineers all of whom were swearing suicidal oaths to slit their throats and stomachs if they ever divulged the secrets we learned in the Temple. That's the brainwashing trick. The convince you that something really absurd is actually NORMAL, since everybody else in the room, whom you respect, is doing it. So you go along to get along. You go through the temple to go on a mission. You go on a mission to get the pretty Mormon wife. You get the pretty Mormon wife to start REALLY fulfilling your REAL purpose of bringing down little spirits from Heaven. Before you know it, you're in so deep and you're so busy trying to provide for this HUGE Mormon family that you can't see straight. You don't look at the evidence because of the implications. It's a slippery slope. One thing leads to another and next thing you know you're on your own, sliding down a glacier headed for a huge cravass, with no way to stop.

It's like Paul Graham said in "Lies We Tell Kids" http://www.paulgraham.com/lies.html (Identity)

"The truth is common property. You can't distinguish your group by doing things that are rational, and believing things that are true. If you want to set yourself apart from other people, you have to do things that are arbitrary, and believe things that are false."

So for a long time I was a Mormon. That was my identity. I fit the bill perfectly. Mormon heritage, Mormon family, Return Missionary, Mormon wife from a strong Mormon family, 4 kids, a professional degree and career, pillar in the Mormon community, leader in the Stake. And meanwhile I was going to the temple and swearing suicidal oaths. I had become that well respected guy in the temple pantomiming slitting my throat that others looked up to and said, "Hey, it can't be that wierd if everybody else is doing it."

But I was pretty open minded, probably to a fault. When my own kids started asking me questions about the Mormon church, I listened and sought to find real answers, since the pablum of Standard Mormon answers never really satisfied me. By that time the internet had come into existence and it didn't take me long to do the independent research and conclude that it wasn't at all what it claimed to be. The problem I had at the time however was that I was trapped. Sealed to a TBM wife, with a whole tribe of kids we'd raised to be perfect little Mormons. I was living under a couple of ultimatums. One from my wife who threatened to leave me if I breathed a word of my doubts to our kids and one from my Bishop, who threatened to discipline me if I shared my doubts with any other Mormons.
Even my wife and kids? I asked
Especially your wife and kids, he said.
That pissed me off and put me in a fighting mood. NOBODY tells me I can't be honest with my own kids!
It took me 3 years of fighting to convince her that Joseph's Myth was bogus. I almost lost her over it, a couple of times.
But it was worth it and it would have been worth it to lose my marriage over my integrity. I'm just glad it didn't come down to that however, since making love to my wife is a whole lot more fun than fncking integrity. haha

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 01:12AM

I like those quotes you put in there. One of my favorite quotes is by Mark Twain: "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." Isn't that fitting for living in the Moridor?

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 06:53PM

There is a big difference between being a fool and understanding that you can be fooled. We are not fools at all. On the contrary. But even the most clever people can be fooled. It happens all the time.

On the upside, knowing this about yourself is an incredibly useful bit of information. Keeps you on your toes.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 07:16PM

I can understand why adult converts to any belief system might feel foolish in retrospect, but I believe that anyone can believe anything if they are brought up with it. I don't think anyone should be hard on themselves for having been raised with something. Frankly, I admire anyone raised in any belief system who has the courage to leave it as an adult.

Posted by: brian ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 12:50AM

I laugh at myself that I was converted to the church. Was young and dumb. As the years passed that excuse wasn't good any longer. As mad as I get at myself, I realize I would not have met my wife and then I'm okay with my lapse of judgment when it comes to the church.

Loved the "shouldn't be trusted with sharp objects". Know the feeling.

Posted by: ktay ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 02:12AM

Being brought up in the church, it completely makes sense that you can be so sucked in. My daughter, who is 5 1/2 months is already imitating things I do. When something, like TSCC is engrained into you your entire life, it is a part of everything you are and who you are. Finding out the truth was like mourning a death. A part of me died in a way, but it was the brainwashed, dumb part of me. haha. I feel so free now and I am trying not to think about how much of my life was wasted being in a bubble. I can be really pissed at my parents and myself, or I can enjoy this new, amazing life!!! I AM FREE!

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 04:11AM

Idk, I'm watching my older brother struggle in earnest to maintain his faith & it's so sad! He's doing everything he can to reaffirm his faith, but I just don't think it's going to hold. He's not one of those types of people who can take the good & leave the bad; it must be all or nothing. and having that perspective is killing him from the inside out.

It's disturbing to see him mentally and emotionally unwind. I can understand that. If this GC is all about Christ & saving grace, it will be exactly what he's looking for...but it won't last. They lie any way they can & manipulate anyone they can. They are very good at what they do!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.