Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 03:45PM

So I called my mother to talk today and we got to politics somehow (always seems to work that way). We got to talking about Mitt (Mom and Dad are NOT fans) and I said "Oh Mom, it is a bad week for the Mormons" and my mother was like "Oh, what's going on? You know how bad I am about keeping up with the news". So, I told her about Bott-gate, Pearl-gate, Wiesenthal-gate, and about how Helen Radkey is fiercely exposing every little false step the church makes regarding temple ordinances.

So then she asked me what I thought the church should do about it. I told her I think that when people submit names for temple work, they should have to specify their relationship to the deceased and the names of the closest living relatives. I told her I think the church should start an ordinance clearinghouse department where researchers/workers contact living relatives to confirm that the member had asked permission and that ordinance work would not be taken as offensive.

Mom said she thought that was too costly to be realistic. So, I said "If the church has money for a multi-billion dollar mall, and ordinance work for the dead is a bigger priority, then they shouldn't have a problem staffing a department. It's their ethical duty".

And then Mom told me that she and my dad both think The Church is not ready for an LDS POTUS. She didn't say that the US wasn't ready for and LDS POTUS, but that The Church and its members aren't ready. I thought that was pretty honest and I was impressed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 03:46PM

LOL-- My mother had heard all about the City Creek Center, but somehow missed the point that the church was funding the project. She didn't seem to feel very good about that.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 03:54PM

If Mitt doesn't get in, "the members weren't ready."

If blacks don't receive the priesthood, "the members weren't ready."

If you didn't get an answer to your prayer, "you weren't ready."

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 03:54PM

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 07:03PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.