Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: March 03, 2012 05:32AM

I'm sitting at home watching the usual mix of semi-scientific programs on the Discovery Channel. At the moment there is a program looking at the efforts in Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI). This is a long-term effort, but technological improvements are making the search more efficient. In addition to more computer processing power, scientists are steadily improving the techniques for planet searching meaning they can start to target specific star systems rather than random scanning of the sky.

The day of contact might happen tomorrow, it might take decades, or it might never come.

Scientists like Carl Sagan and writers like Arthur C. Clarke are two notables who have explored this topic of first contact. Should it come, it will probably present challenges for all faiths, including Atheism. For Mormons though, I think the shock might be even greater.

So, what do you think? Imagine that tomorrow there is a press conference and an annoucement that the signal has been received. The decoded signals indicate that they are not robe wearing, Adamic speaking, white bearded polygamists.

How will the church react?

Of course, if the day never comes that also presents questions for all of us, but especially Mormons. Eternal Progression (if they still teach that) argues that there should be an infinity of worlds out there all on the same track to eternal exhaltation. If we can't find anybody that out there, then maybe the concept of "worlds without end" doesn't work. For the rest of us it presents some possible chilling options for our own future.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 03, 2012 05:58AM

The reality is that any "contact" would likely be only one-way communication (our reply probably wouldn't reach them in our lifetimes; this would definitely be a multi-generational thing, folks).

There would be believers and unbelievers.. And it's seriously doubtful any extra-terrestials would be sending a message beyond "Hi, here we are" and a probably a few recognizable bits of scientific vernacular that would authenticate the greeting.

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: March 03, 2012 06:11AM

I think we take for granted that the communication would be one way because of the distances. But once a source is found, there would likely be a nonstop stream of transmissions received. Radio, video, data, it would be like getting a page from Encylopedia Galactica. They wouldn't have to be directing the message to us, but just the random pot-luck of routine on-planet communication would be a store house of info.

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: March 03, 2012 07:03AM

"Not of This Fold" is read by the author, an ex-Mormon science fiction author William Shunn, and involves missionaries making first contact with an alien race.

http://www.shunn.net/podcast/episodes.cgi?sid=2

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: March 03, 2012 07:28AM

I'll know I'll addapt I always have. But for others like christians that will be a huge blow to them

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 03, 2012 07:50AM

It would strengthen a Mormon's testimony, because we were taught that there are worlds without end. They'd just go, "See? I told you so."

As was mentioned, we likely wouldn't get to know much about the people we received a message from, but simply learn that they're there.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.