Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: March 03, 2012 03:02PM

Get ready for more missionaries in Zion! Utah Salt Lake City Central and West missions created:

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/62067/New-missions-created.html

Looking at those maps, it's funny how the Church defines SL Central as being roughly the area from Murray to Sandy (the Utah Midvale Mission??)! And the West mission looks like it's West Valley City, Magna and Taylorsville, but over the mountains into possibly Stansbury Park?? (but not Tooele)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: March 03, 2012 03:04PM

On further looking, it looks like the Utah SLC Central Mission is really the Utah West Jordan/Midvale Mission!

Posted by: mlebanc138 ( )
Date: March 03, 2012 03:10PM

Utah mission are great missions. I loved my time in the Utah Provo mission. Also, the newly created Nevada Reno mission covers a sliver of Utah in what appears to be Millard County.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: March 05, 2012 05:31AM

Aren't there enough Mos in Utah now? Why do they need mishies in SLC? Gag.

Posted by: chris ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 07:46PM

yeah I just got called to the Salt Lake City mission, but it didn't say if it was central or west, I report July 5th, and I'm from Dallas. How can I know which one I'm going to?

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 07:50PM

Why are you going? If you are here, that makes me think you don't believe. I understand parental pressure, but you are also 19, and a legal adult.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 07:55PM

My guess is they will tell you in a follow up letter since the mission was created after your call was sent out, or you might find out at the MTC. What does it matter? Its still SLC.

Are you going ecause of family pressure? Totally understandable. Maybe you can so some seeds of doubt.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 07:58PM

When will they be creating the City Creek Mission?

Why are they using elderly couples for City Creek and not hot sister missionaries like they use on temple square?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 11:38PM

Because due to the economy, the baby boomers own the big houses. Senior missionaries can relate and pick the low hanging fruit so that the church can glom onto those oldies' estates before they die.

It's highly targeted affinity sales.

Also, some of those big houses are owned by widows and the young hot missionaries aren't allowed to go inside their houses for fear those horny 19 year olds will jump a 75-year-old.

Or that she will claimed they touched her privates.

Anagrammy

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: March 05, 2012 05:33AM

Aren't there enough Mos in Utah now? Why do they need mishies in SLC? Gag.
For mlebanc138 - Wasn't it difficult to find someone Not mo? Until I began reading this board and found a few non-mos in Utah County, I didn't think there were any no-mos in Provo/Orem.

Posted by: mleblanc138 ( )
Date: March 05, 2012 06:47PM

My mission was a short quick mission spent in the eastern reaches of the mission. Most of Duchesne County followed by part of Wasatch County to be specific. I really do owe a thanks to the guy who served with my trainer before me, since I rolled into Roosevelt and BAM 6 baptisms before I left for Midway 6 weeks later. I only saw 1 baptism in Midway, but that's 7 in just 2 transfers. We hardly ever tracted since we had so many referrals. I never did serve in Utah County though.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 05, 2012 08:49AM

After all, everyone was already LDS, right? So when the first full-time missionaries were assigned to Utah, the story was that, surprise, there actually were gentiles among us, and more were moving in. But now, it's all about harassing jack Mormons and others who have wandered from the church. More missionaries in Utah is just another reason to leave the place.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: March 05, 2012 11:56AM

I was in the UT mission and it was just baptising youth who's parents wern't into the TBM stuff. Kinda like doing hometeaching with the purpose of baptising a family's kids. I think that the LDS inc. is just trying to make sure to get the easy baptisms due to peer pressure and social conditions.

More tithing for Guaranteed annual income is the goal.

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: March 05, 2012 01:44PM

He is trying really hard to act excited about it. It's pretty clear that he wishes he was going someone foreign speaking like his 2 older brothers.

Date: March 05, 2012 06:51PM

I would let that kid know about the immesnse upside of having way fewer doors slammed in your face, and most likely having a ton of member dinners throughout the mission, thereby breaking the "mac and cheese/top ramen" standard of many missionaries.

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: March 05, 2012 02:31PM

If any child reaches age 9 without being dunked then when they get dunked they are counted as a "convert baptism". As a result the missionaries in Utah are especially out hunting for kids. In fact most full-time missionaries that served in my Stake and the Stakes around us when I was a Ward Mission Leader in West Valley would only spend their time looking for kids. That's because they were easy pickings for easy dunks with a bit of BRT'ing and winning over the parents to the idea of letting the mishies provide a few weeks of free child care.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 06:01AM

tagging and bagging youths. They could put a lds tag on their ear to let the missionaries know they've been baptized. Or how about a tracking collar?

Posted by: Tara the Pagan ( )
Date: March 05, 2012 02:31PM

There are plenty of No-Mo's in the SL area. There are also lots of fun bars and clubs, great coffee houses, non-mo theatrical productions, radical bookstores, etc. The city is very gay-friendly. There's a large and active Pagan population as well.

(I love SL and go there as often as possible).

Hopefully, the mishies will see some different points of view while they are there. Since the non-mo locals are probably hardened by oft-repeated overtures from all the TBMs around them, I doubt too many of them will listen to the mishies.

Posted by: Jordan V. Dinckley ( )
Date: March 05, 2012 04:02PM

The Utah Salt Lake City West Mission was creating specifically for Truckers, since West Salt Lake has nothing but warehouses and trucking companies. The mission will be composed solely of crack-addicted female missionaries who smoke and have very loose morals.

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: March 05, 2012 08:47PM

our SP used the mission opening as an indication of what slackers we all were...imagine the insult that this was, the Lord had to call missionaries to SALT LAKE CITY of all places, WE SHOULD BE ASHAMED of ourselves.

Of course, this SP used any event as an indication of the weakness in our dedication to the church.

He was a first class prick, and was sent to be an MP after his tyrannical reign in our stake.

So, according to his logic, opening yet another SLC mission is an indication that the members REALLY SUCK!!

Date: March 05, 2012 11:32PM

What by chance happened when the Provo Mission was formed? It's fairly common knowledge today that downtown SLC is 40-60 in terms of members/nonmembers and that Salt Lake County is essentially an even split. Provo/Utah County on the other hand probably looks more like 70-30 on the mormon's side at least, and most likely 80-20 or higher then.

Posted by: Rose Park Ranger ( )
Date: March 05, 2012 11:13PM

But I use the Spanish speaking mishies to practice my Spanish.

It's fun to watch the Lamanite elder try not to giggle while the Gringo mishy and I murder his language.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 08:32PM

Yeah!! More opportunities for us Ex-Mormons to plant some seeds when we hear some knocking on the door!

I served in SLC on my mission and if it wasn't for all the apostates sharing with me what they knew about the Church's history, I might still be Mormon today.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 05:37AM

I wish I could have read the post. I am sure it was interesting, but as soon as the topic "LDS missions" mentally registered, I was completely overwhelmed by the thought of "what a waste of time!!"

Posted by: ledastray ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 11:35PM

I served in Salt Lake City, 86-88, most of our baptisms were kiddie dunks and teaching the boy or girlfriends of members. It was finally confessed to us the REAL reason we were there was so that all the little mormon kids (future missionaries) would have missionaries to look up to and want to be like. Since we usually covered two to three stakes at a time, we were usually speaking 2 to 3 times in different sacrament meetings each week being good examples to the prospective missionaries.

selah...nom@gmail.com remove the dots if you also served there.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.