Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 12:16PM

1. TBMs think the reason exmos turn away locals and mishies is they're afraid these intruders will reactivate them. NOT

2. TBMs think that nevermos hide from mishies or slam doors on them because they're worried the morg is true and they don't want to face up to the challenge.

3. TBMs sometimes assume that the reason people object to mormons recruiting children without parent permission is that the kids will want to join. I think this is a possibility but a minor consideration.

4. TBMs think that the reason much of the public abhors dead dunking is that these people actually believe the rituals will have an impact on the spirit world. Not likely! LOL!

No, the biggest reason exmos and non-mos object to these things is the rudeness and arrogance of them. People don't like being discounted and mistreated.

Honorable exmos and nonmormons don't as a rule knock on doors to tell mormons their beliefs are laughable. Nice nonmormons don't try to befriend children for the purpose of manipulating or bribing them to want to change churches. They don't use people's names in secret rituals or keep covert records of those they're not connected to in legitimate ways.

Objecting to being mistreated has nothing to do with thinking mormons are in any way credible. Rather, the point is this. Decent people like to live and let live. They don't meddle and pry into other people's lives and buisness and they expect and deserve the same consideration from mormons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2010 12:29PM by Cheryl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 26, 2010 04:50PM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 05:02PM

If we treated Mormons the way Mormons treat non-LDS, inactives and exmormons, they would be OUTRAGED. But they can't see themselves for what they really are or, even more importantly, they can't see their impact on others for what it really is. But as I was saying on another thread - if Mormons feel like they are being nice then, in their minds they ARE being nice and anyone who objects is mean and wrong. They never stop to think about things from another point of view. They shove their idea of "niceness" down others throats and wail when others object. Truly bizarre.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 05:13PM

I have TBM family members who start conversations about religion and then end them shortly thereafter saying that they don't want to talk about religion. Then they're confused as heck when I say that I'd rather not talk about religion either, but they're the ones who keep bringing it up.

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 09:32PM

I was pretty disappointed when I had the missionaries in so that I could learn more about Mormonism.

I had let them know that I had already read a few books about Mormonism (which appeared to disappoint them) and I asked about the process that JS used in translating the BoM. I was hoping that they would be forthcoming about the whole face-in-the-hat thing. But they just said that he used the urim and thummim, and let it go at that.

I also asked why almost all of the D&C revelations date from the 1830s and 1840s, and why there are only two from the 20th century. They responded that the purpose of the D&C revelations was to make the church perfect, which had already been pretty much accomplished by the 1840s.

Maybe this was some of that "milk before meat" foolishness, but I told them I had already sampled the meat! It came across as very shallow, scripted, and almost furtive. Not a good recipe for proselytizing to anyone with a genuine interest in learning about doctrine.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 10:42PM

All very true....and as one nonmormon here I don't answer the door to mishies because I don't want to waste my time. I don't want to stand there and let them go on and on and supposedly tell the poor uninformed Christian(me) that they do believe the Bible but they have MORE- the restored gospel. In reality I know more about their religion than some of them! I would say words that would be hurtful and there is no need in doing that.

Posted by: Baptist Nevermo ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 11:47PM

Regarding your number four, I have strong reason to believe that my grandparents, my great-grandparents, and three of my uncles (at least) have been dead-dunked. It makes me angry, and a little sick, to think about it. NOT because I believe that it has any effect on my family members, but because it is a disrespectful use of their names in a setting which would have been abhorrent to them (my grandfather and great-grandfather were both ordained Baptist ministers). To my mind, it is in the same class as deliberately spitting on someone's grave. It doesn't harm the deceased in the slightest but it is hurtful to people who are still living.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 02:08AM

I'm an atheist; I think that when I die, I just die. I know that someone doing stupid temple rituals after I am dead won't affect me in the slightest.

But I've made it very clear how I feel about the church. I made my choice to leave officially, not just become an inactive member. Baptising me after I die insults who I am as a person. The act essentially, blatantly disregards what I did, what I thought, and who I was.

I know it doesn't mean anything, but it still pisses me off and I plan on trying to do something to stop the church from doing it after I pass on.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 04:19PM

Tiff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm an atheist; I think that when I die, I just
> die. I know that someone doing stupid temple
> rituals after I am dead won't affect me in the
> slightest.
>
> But I've made it very clear how I feel about the
> church. I made my choice to leave officially, not
> just become an inactive member. Baptising me after
> I die insults who I am as a person. The act
> essentially, blatantly disregards what I did, what
> I thought, and who I was.
>
> I know it doesn't mean anything, but it still
> pisses me off and I plan on trying to do something
> to stop the church from doing it after I pass on.

But if you don't 'die', then you might have to come back to haunt the deaddunkers... Hang on, that could be fun! ;o))

Date: November 27, 2010 09:06AM

And mormons think nothing of desecrating those. What's worse? The yammer about how I have no right to object if I don't believe their ritualistic abuse changes non-existent spirits in the great beyond.

It's the same as those nasty protesters who show up at funerals with signs calling fallen heros crude names.

Mormons would be outraged if we wore Bozo noses to their funerals or if we posted atheist signs on their graves in spite of knowing these acts have no more connection to the afterlife than dead dunking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2010 09:11AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 09:16AM

Amen to that, Cheryl.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 10:02AM

If people have any decent clue about what the mormons are up to, they will not let them near their kids. How many people ("Gentiles") will rue the day they let Mormons at their kids when they cannot go to their kids' weddings? The Mormons actually think going to a fussed up reception is good enough. Of course it would not be good enough for them!

Also, would the Mormons want Richard Packham and Cheryl, say, to visit with their kids on a regular basis "just to talk"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2010 10:03AM by derrida.

Date: November 27, 2010 01:32PM

Giving Richard or I free access would be out of the question. LOL

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.