Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subliminal ( )
Date: March 05, 2012 11:57PM

That people with dark skin are a curse of Cain?

Having an argument about the church's racist history. About to win this!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: March 06, 2012 12:11AM

nowhere in the book of mormon.

but you can find that in the pearl of great price plus other comments by brigham young, kimball,etc.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 06, 2012 12:13AM

I believe the 'mark of cain' stuff is in the Bible; I understood it to apply to African Americans; applied to Cain killing Abel; taught in folklore (haha) to be given to ppl who were "Less Valiant" in the P-E.

the 'dark skin' of the Lamanites, (as I believe) was almost a separate issue (COULD BE WRONG!)

Posted by: snowowl ( )
Date: March 06, 2012 12:24AM

The "mark of Cain" in the Bible is noted in Genesis 4:15.
The Bible says nothing about the mark being the curse of a black skin. The mark was applied to Cain only, not to his progeny.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: March 06, 2012 12:14AM

PoGP:

". . . there was a blackness came upon all the children of Canaan, that they were despised among all people . . . (Moses 7:8)."

"And . . . they were a mixture of all the seed of Adam save it was the seed of Cain, for the seed of Cain were black, and had not place among them (Moses 7:22)."

BoM:

2 Ne. 5: 21 --

... "And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were WHITE, and exceedingly FAIR and DELIGHTSOME, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did CAUSE A SKIN OF BLACKNESS to come upon them."

(white was changed to 'pure' in about 1981)

Posted by: snowowl ( )

2 Nephi 5:21
2 Nephi 30:6
3 Nephi 2:14-16

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )

1 Nephi 11:13 And I beheld the city of Nazareth; and in the city of Nazareth I beheld a virgin, and she was exceedingly fair and white.

1 Nephi 12:23 And it came to pass that I beheld, after they had dwindled in unbelief they became a dark, and loathsome, and a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of abominations.

1 Nephi 13:15 And I beheld the Spirit of the Lord, that it was upon the Gentiles, and they did prosper and obtain the land for their inheritance; and I beheld that they were white, and exceedingly fair and beautiful, like unto my people before they were slain.

2 Nephi 5:21 For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

2 Nephi 30:6 And then shall they rejoice; for they shall know that it is a blessing unto them from the hand of God; and their scales of darkness shall begin to fall from their eyes; and many generations shall not pass away among them, save they shall be a white (1830, 1952 edition) and a delightsome people. Current LDS version 1981 says Pure.

Jacob 3:8 O my brethren, I fear that unless ye shall repent of your sins that their skins will be whiter than yours, when ye shall be brought with them before the throne of God.

Alma 3:6 And the skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion against their brethren, who consisted of Nephi, Jacob, and Joseph, and Sam, who were just and holy men.

3 Nephi 2:15 And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites.

Mormon 5:15 And also that the seed of this people may more fully believe his gospel, which shall go forth unto them from the Gentiles; for this people shall be scattered, and shall become a dark, a filthy, and a loathsome people, beyond the description of that which ever hath been amongst us, yea, even that which hath been among the Lamanites, and this because of their unbelief and idolatry.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: March 06, 2012 12:18AM

sorry for not keeping current with all things mormon, but aren't those references in the book of mormon pointing to the lamanites and not cain's seed as such?

please correct me if i'm wrong but i was under the impression that only the pearl of great price mentioned about cain specifically.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.