Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blindednomore ( )
Date: March 06, 2012 10:24PM

It's impossible for me to pick just one - so here are the top 2.

1. That the Church warns people not to read anything against it. I hate the notion that it doesn't want people thinking for themselves.

2. The parents whispering in their children's ear what to say in their testimony.This brainwashing makes me want to rip my hair out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 06, 2012 10:31PM

The temple tax also known as mormon extortion also known as tithing. Every time I think about the thousands upon thousands that I gave that organization over the years, I get quite angry.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: March 06, 2012 10:37PM

rather than breaking ranks or giving other sheeple a clue that it's a lie. Usually I think they have selfish motives, because they do not want to look bad as an apostate.

Seriously indoctrinating children from day one with a narrow definition of how they should live their lives, then telling them they have free agency to choose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2012 10:39PM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: March 06, 2012 10:45PM

This is similar to what my major problem with them is. I am disgusted with the fact that they don't tell people what they are all about before they are converted. If they told prospective converts upfront about all their beliefs and then people still wanted to join, ok, more power to them. I hate that they are deceitful and trick people into converting.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: March 06, 2012 10:44PM

David Bednar's hair.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: March 06, 2012 10:58PM

The absolute refusal to look at any information critical of Mormonism (true history). They are so condescendingly damn sure of the church being true and will smugly condemn "anti-Mormon" literature as being lies yet have never and will never lift a page to even know what it says.

Posted by: ktay ( )
Date: March 06, 2012 11:00PM

Ehb, what you said is probably mine. Along with parent's (like my own) that would rather give up their ties to family who fall away than give up their religion. It destroys families. So sad

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: March 06, 2012 11:07PM

Holding your children hostage for eternity unless you pay up & fall in line.
They tell you fearie stories about how you'll all be together forever, happy in heaven all your life, but then as soon as you put a toe outside of the line of conformity, they automatically threaten you with taking away your family for eternity & you'll be cold & alone in outer darkness forever...

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 06, 2012 11:22PM

Probably the lying for the Lord stuff, where they downright deny their own doctrines to the rest of the world. They don't represent themselves honestly at all.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 06, 2012 11:28PM

but if you tell the truth in Sunday School you'll be in hot water.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 06, 2012 11:30PM

Yeah. I keep saying that the organization which taught me honesty and integrity practices neither of those things.

Posted by: Quiet Apostate ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 12:07AM

Not being able to be honest re church history without social reprecussions. I taught gospel doctrine for three years. Over time I became so disgusted at the differences between what I was supposed to teach via the lesson manual and what REALLY happened. My release as GD instructor came after my lesson on Joseph Smith's martyrdom, which lesson I began by asking "Now who can tell me about the Nauvoo Expositor...?" No one raised their hands, so I told them. I was released the next Sunday. That's the day I became a pariah in my northern Utah County ward and neighborhood. which is 99% LDS (only one non-mo family in the ward boundaries).

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 01:54AM

Quiet Apostate: I wished I was there to witness your lesson. How far did you go into the whole history? How did the members react?

You know, one time, in GD, the teacher taught about the fall out of Oliver Cowdry and the Sidney Rigdon, but did not go into too great of detail but I was perplexed at what she said about Sidney creating the Rigdonites who taught from the BoM.

When I was TBM, I thought this behavior was very odd. Moreover, I was very disturbed by Cowdry, Harris, and Whitmer leaving the faith. I figure, someone who sees God or Angels shouldn't be speaking ill of God's chosen prophet or joining other religions. That is very bizzare behavior.

Of course, now I know why, DUH!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 12:12AM

That they take in tithing in the name of Jesus Christ so people assume it will be used the way Jesus would use it. Instead of helping the poor and needy (other than the bare minimum for PR purposes) they build malls and hotels and buy up land and give temples facelifts and have ultra-expensive adornments in their buildings and worry about their image. And all the time Jesus would be thinking "How many lives could you have saved with that money?"

However, a close second is the way they try to go behind your back to get your child to church. That is purely sick.

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 12:12AM

How you are taught certain doctrinal things with great emphasis and clarity seconds up to the moment when the church is called out publically by the media on its racism and weirdness, then they can't seem to back away fast enough.

It's as if one second before public exposure, you meekly raised your hand and suggested it was wrong to think God cursed people with dark skin, you would likely have been dismissed as a potential unrepentant sinner. One second later, your formerly heretical position is now the church's official position!

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 12:35AM

Yeah I hate the "lying for the Lord," tricking people to convert, using deception, "milk before meat"--the carrot of Jesus and the stick of the Doctrine & Covenants.

But most of all, I hate that they break up families. The LDS church gets its TBM members into such a fixation on the church that a lot of them will toss family members aside, file for divorce, etc. And the disaffected are labeled "apostates," shunned, and made to feel so alienated within their own families that they consider leaving their families as a viable way to conserve their own peace of mind.

The LDS church is truly insane and evil when you consider that it has no big claim to truth and is historically problematic in so many ways. The church isn't about God; it's basically a social club, a very invasive and controlling social club that few people would join if the LDS church practiced truth in advertising. The members and missionaries that sell the Mormon church to their friends and acquaintances should really check themselves about what they are doing to these people.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2012 12:38AM by derrida.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 12:40AM

That's the umbrella for everything else.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 12:51AM

Men are more important than women or rather, women are lesser than men. I remember standing in the temple and raising my hand while questioning the idea of following my husband as the only way to lead me to god. Yet we were in the midst of a bad marriage and I felt no way in hell I could only communicate with god through him because god could talk directly to me too, damnit.

The male superiority thing bugged me the most.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2012 12:52AM by toto.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 12:54AM

The vile reprehensible act known as necrodunking.
It's identity theft.

Posted by: Geoff Staines ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 01:32AM

that members know they are right

Posted by: temnamedeborah ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 01:40AM

The disrespect and abuse of women and children. The lying under the mantle of authority. The injustice of it all. If I am never NOT angry at the church's injustices , lying and destruction of families and brainwashing of people from babies to old people, I wont be around. Down with abusive cults!

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 02:12AM

They bluster and blunder about Christian faith. What really they believe is occult magic: necrotic baptism, spirit sealing, vials of holy oil, protective rituals, temple chanting and secret hand signals.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 10:55AM

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 10:43AM

#1 - Financial management.
#2 - Superior attitude.
#3 - The whole mind-warping/manipulation/extortion/control thing.

Posted by: notinthislifetime ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 11:17AM

Has to be the superior attitude as well. I live in Utah county and along with that is their notion everyone thinks the way they do.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 11:19AM

I agree with all the ones above--and this is not the only one that disgusts me the most, but BISHOP INTERVIEWS of adolescents is a HUGE one for me.

Posted by: exmo99 ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 12:05PM

They took my brother in law away from me. We used to be close, but since he's so "busy" now, he has no time for me.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 12:10PM

The arrogance.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 12:13PM

That puddle of toxic goo they call the young women's program. The first step in keeping women submissive to the self destructive cult known as mormonism.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 12:19PM

That they do this all in the name of God.
Even if there isn't a God, their use of him is despicable.

Posted by: informer ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 12:20PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 12:21PM

the disconnect between basic Christian values & on-the-ground Mormonism AT THE LEADERSHIP levels.

Mormonism is their agenda, not being or even thinking Christianity.

Posted by: Teddy ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 12:36PM

They reproduce.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 12:43PM

The lying sacks of shit priesthood protects and transfers sexual predators, calmly exposing innocent children to known perverts.

I reported someon to my bishop, the son of a GA, who assured me he would "take care of it." A few years later I was contacted by one of the man's successor wives asking me to testify on her behalf as she was trying to protect her little girl.

Turns out the molester moved to Alaska, advanced to the Melchisedek priesthood, remarried. Altogether, the new divorcee and I counted 14 children who were unnecessarily exposed to pedophelia because of the brotherhood of the priesthood protecting their own.

Years after leaving Mormonism, one of my grown sons told me that he had been molested in LDS scouts--by the scout leader. I asked him why he had not told me and he said the scout leader told him the bishop already knew.

When I hear about these bastards conducting masturbation interviews, my blood boils.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 12:57PM

My nieces rapist went on to rape his two younger sisters. He moved to another state and got married in the temple. He has two little girls of his own and is active in the church. Most likely the people in his ward have no clue of his past. I'm sure his little girls have friends. I'm sure they have sleep overs. That is his favorite thing. He raped at least 4 girls at mormon sleepovers at his parents house. My niece is the only one that told on him. The others tried to keep it quiet. If they had said something, my niece, his sisters, and who knows how many others would have been spared being raped by him.
He was 17 when he raped my niece. He's now in his mid 30's. He's out there doing a lot of damage.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 02:30PM

To HELL with the bishop....call the cops!

Posted by: anontoday ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 01:06PM

It varies depending on which point in the "recovery" process we're at.

Since we're in the middle of dealing with broken-hearted parents over it:

The wedge it puts between believing/non-believing family members.

And how, in general, Mormons aren't able to recognize value in others' spiritual experiences or lack thereof.

And that stuff about how they refuse to look at anything that says anything negative about the Church, automatically labeling information "anti."

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 01:07PM

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 01:09PM

What bugs me most is how the church has co-opted the family and appointed itself arbiter of all-things-family such that families in the church will put the interests of the church before the interests of their family because to them it's essentially the same.

I have a friend who is suffering through some serious rejection right now because her family is so caught up in the idea that the church is the ultimate authority on families. It sucks for her, it sucks for all of us who have been there.

Posted by: rosemary ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 01:16PM

They make you into a bad person for learning the truth. I told my little sis to never let anyone tell you not to learn something. What possible motivation could they have for that?

I hate what everyone else is pointing out: priesthood protected hypocrisy.

I hate how hard I tried. I hate that I gave so many years. I hate how judgmental I was raised to be (and was for most of my life.) I hate how they say they aren't a cult but can only get you to believe it ISN'T a cult is by brainwashing you.

Mind-rape is the only true way I know how to accurately describe the "gospel".

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 02:33PM

History
Denial
Ignorance
Arrogance
Deception

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.