Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 11:43PM

I got love bombed into it by someone who is actually pretty nice when she drops her Mormon act. Mostly I just went to hang out with her, to hear some stupid comments that would inoculate me further against the love bombing and to have things to return and report to the crowd here. Things like:

It was a broadcast from Salt Lake and the women in our chapel still STOOD UP when Monson entered the screen.

Monson was in fine, flirty form surrounded by so many women

One woman spoke about how the church was trying to return to the original purposes of Relief Society. Wasn't the original purpose of Relief Society to distract Emma so Joseph could add more wives to his harem? Do we really want to get back to that?

Someone else talked about loving your VT assignment even when it's challenging -- like when you visit someone who doesn't really want you to come. Ummm, if you love them shouldn't you respect their opinion?

Monson's talk, once you plowed thru the obligatory 84 widows story (which this time included 84 roasted chickens - a spin I hadn't heard before) was actually pretty good because he reamed people about judging others without getting to know them, that you shouldn't judge based on appearance or how people dressed, that you shouldn't jump to conclusions without hearing their side of the story.

The best part was that they can talk all day long and it doesn't annoy me, or move me, or offend me, or save me. Surprisingly, I found I couldn't care less what the Momos get up to. Always a relief because as you know, the opposite of love isn't hate --- it's indifference.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 01:36AM

Which is why God marked the wicked with dark skin.
And why you shouldn't:
have more than one ear ring or tattoos,
wear a dress shirt that isn't white,
wear anything but a suit or dress to church.

Any more?

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 01:46AM

Don't forget the flip flops!

Posted by: Ladybug ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 07:17AM

helemon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which is why God marked the wicked with dark
> skin.
> And why you shouldn't:
> have more than one ear ring or tattoos,
> wear a dress shirt that isn't white,
> wear anything but a suit or dress to church.
>
> Any more?

Right....My son had a friend join him in Boy Scouts. Friend wore an earring.Friend was told to leave earring at home next time. Friend never came back and son pretty much was over boy scouts...and church.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 02:24AM

Every once-in--blue-moon, part of me might wonder if I've missed anything, so I'm glad to get that reassurance.

We certainly won't miss anything worth sitting all that time, away from family, away from our lives, away from fun, away from sanity. Nothing could ever persuade me to ever go into a Mormon church again--except for a funeral of a family member.

They showed it on the news--the women all lined up in their little pastel suits, with their bobbed hair, and the obligatory dark-skinned foreign woman speaking with a thick accent to prove how world-wide the cult is spreading....same old, same old.

I watched the Boise State football game, made food for our Sunday barbecue, slicked up the kitchen, and swept the patio at midnight, under the lights. I was inspired.

As a TBM, I would have been at that meeting, for sure, thinking that I needed a new pastel suit, and new heels, and panty hose, and garments, and a new haircut. That's how shallow my feelings were at the end.

Posted by: jbstyle ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 09:14AM

I just have to say that when I first read the title of this post, I thought it said, "Was anyone besides me drunk enough to go to the Women's Conference?" :)

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 11:18AM

jbstyle Wrote:
> I just have to say that when I first read the
> title of this post, I thought it said, "Was anyone
> besides me drunk enough to go to the Women's
> Conference?" :)

HA HA!!! :o)

Posted by: It doesn't matter ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 11:47AM

I went to a Priesthood meeting drunk once. I was sad the alcohol wore off before the meeting was over. I took the several shots of, I think it was vodka, right before I left in the minivan with my brothers and dad.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 11:27AM

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 11:48AM

No, I was on the banks of the river, turning over rocks with my boys. They found flat worms, those funny little worms a 1/4 inch long with the goofy eyes we studied in science class. Also made a cairn of vesicular basalt from the many tumbled rocks there. Saw one flake of gold no bigger than a period in a thimble full of black sand. We had fun in the sun and shade, with the fish and birds and the rippling river.

Women's conferance? There was womans conferance? I'm so glad I didn't even know about it. I hated hearing about how sad the brethern were concerned and reaching out with love to us sisters who didn't have a husband, or an active one. Barf. Sure didn't make you feel special. It pointed out to you all you were missing in the social climate of the church because even with your pure white TR you were still third rate to the 'proper' couples in the church. And sometimes you opened your eyes and realized it had been over twenty years since you'd held a calling that meant something. . .
So glad to know it's all hype when it comes to the "words of the profits"

Posted by: Abigail ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 12:36PM

We had a family get together planned to watch the BSU game. Two of the women bailed to go to the conference instead, but we ended up having a great time without them.

Posted by: libby ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 12:41PM

Your post made me smile.

I can just see Monson preaching about not judging others by their looks and me sitting in a LDS chapel among lots of women--all of us with 3 earrings in each ear and wearing the above mentioned flip flops, short spiky blonde hair (which is my style)--and all of us widows.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 01:03PM

That's like standing for the National Anthem when you're sitting in your family room watching the game with a plate of nachos!

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 01:18PM

Adult of god Wrote:
> That's like standing for the National Anthem when
> you're sitting in your family room watching the
> game with a plate of nachos!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 10:01PM

I TRY to watch GC because I'm afraid of what DW will hear and how it may infect her brain. I want to make sure I'm there to help intercept the info, if I can, and know what to comment on later. But God help me, I have to leave after the first hour because the bullsh*t nature of it makes my head hurt. I just have to go make coffee or something.

I was able to hear the talk two conferences ago where Oaks or whoever it was gave such a sneering talk, and six months later got to see Uchtdorf's talk that seemed like a talk of reconciliation to make up for the sneering tone six months prior.

And three conferences ago I got to hear that talk where some GA (I'm rapidly forgetting all their names--that's good, right?) mentioned seeing people in a public place like a supermarket or something, and noted how unhappy everyone was because (get this) they "didn't have the Gospel of Jesus Christ in their lives." I wondered why DW did not see the presumptuousness of this asshat that I did. But that's why I'm a non-believer and she's TBM, I guess.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 01:33AM

they just don't feel the need to fake happiness like Mormons do. Mormon happiness just comes across as creepy.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 11:33AM

I generally find something else to do when he watches the beckster, but I stay from time to time, just so I can be aware of what he is spewing out that needs some truthiness added. But I always have to have a glass of wine to get me through the hour!!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 10:28AM

I'm sorry you were subjected to that--but it is rather eye-opening, isn't it? I went to GC at the conference center with my daughter a few years ago--amazing how much different it is now from an outsider's perspective.

I also got to hear the mother knows talk and the temple marriage talk by Russell Nelson a few years ago at GC--both just made me angry. (I think my daughter has learned to not play conference for me these days.)

forestpal--don't you mean the "helmet" haircut with the hair STARCHED in place?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.