Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 12:50PM

That's an actual quote from one of Mrs. Hela's nieces.

Mrs. Hela was trying to tell her niece that the existing records from European royalty that claim such ties back to Noah, or even Adam and Eve, are bogus, and that even if such people existed, there are no records on which to base the genealogy (other than the Bible, which is no more trustworthy than a novel on this point).

It was like talking to a wall.

I wonder if this niece believes the earth is only 6,000 or 12,000 years old. Such ignorance...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2012 12:51PM by helamonster.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 01:14PM

I've done that, but all the way back to Adam. But even as a TBM I knew it was hokey. for instance, in tracing the line link-by-link, I found a few instances where the child was older than the parent. It was clear that most of the line was unreliable at best.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 02:06PM

I traced my wife's ancestry back to Odin, the king of the Norse Gods, using LDS genealogical records.

(I suspect that Odin, Thor, Freia and Loki have all had their temple work done!)

Date: March 07, 2012 02:11PM

After all, every christian and mormon KNOWS that the Norse pantheon are just fictional charcaters...

Posted by: Adventure_Andy ( )
Date: May 09, 2014 11:38PM

Just like all the other religions "know" the Christian set-up is just a bunch of stories too?

Posted by: ambivalentsince1850s ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 07:45PM

RPackham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I traced my wife's ancestry back to Odin, the king
> of the Norse Gods, using LDS genealogical
> records.

Hey, I must be her cousin. I think the "source" here is Alfred the Great's rather fanciful defense of the divine right of Kings. There are some real gems in that one. Did you know Odin and Thor were descendants of Priam, King of Troy?

Posted by: apawst8 ( )
Date: May 10, 2014 08:33AM

RPackham Wrote:
> I traced my wife's ancestry back to Odin, the king
> of the Norse Gods, using LDS genealogical
> records.
>
> (I suspect that Odin, Thor, Freia and Loki have
> all had their temple work done!)

Completely OT, but I didn't learn until Thor 2 came out that the English names for 3 days of the week came from these Gods (Odin's Day = Wednesday; Thor's Day = Thursday; Freia's Day = Friday).

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 02:19PM

I traced my ancestory back to a time long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away when I had a famous ancestor named Chew Backa, maybe you have heard of him....

But that's not all. I traced my offspring forward into the future and found out that Cornelius (You know, the ape that had his fur turned "light & delightsome" because of his compationate thinking.) from the origional "Planet of the Apes" is a direct decendant of mine.

Beat that if you can!!!

Date: March 07, 2012 02:28PM

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 02:34PM

I traced my ancestry back to some preCambrian stromatolitic slime in Australia.

Posted by: barney ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 03:52PM

I have heard about these lines "all the way back to Adam". I would love to see one, if anyone has a link.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 07:11PM

Venus had a mortal son , Aeneas by the mortal Anchises and he had a son named Iulus. Obviously the Iulii (no J in the Latin alphabet) is very similar, so it must be true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2012 07:35PM by bona dea.

Date: March 07, 2012 07:33PM

Those Greek and Roman gods liked getting it on with mortals, so it didn't seem that unlikely if you believed the stories. However, in the case of Caesar, I suspect his claim was made with politics at the back of his mind.

Posted by: apawst8 ( )
Date: May 10, 2014 08:35AM

bona dea Wrote:
> Those Greek and Roman gods liked getting it on
> with mortals,

At least Elohim only "got it on" with one mortal.

Date: March 07, 2012 07:09PM

I am a direct descendent of the Virgin Queen, Elizabeth I. Not quite sure how that works, but that is what my aunt told me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2012 07:33PM by bona dea.

Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: May 10, 2014 06:51AM

She changed her name to the Virgin Mary.

Replied to the wrong person, that was meant for Bona Dea

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2014 06:54AM by silvergenie.

Posted by: djmaciii ( )
Date: March 07, 2012 09:03PM

My great-10x grandma was a Lamanite, and my great-10x grandpa was a Nephite. They were married on dinosaurs.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 03:07AM

I traced my ancestry clear back to Xenu.

Do I win ?

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 03:14AM

Anyone who knows how to research, and document a lineage knows you are lucky if you make it to the Dark Ages. There's a reason it's called the Dark Ages.

Posted by: TheOtherHeber ( )
Date: May 10, 2014 09:35AM

The only source of genealogical information before the XIX century is the catholic church. They began keeping books on the late XVI century. It's possible to go that far even if you don't find any nobility or celebrity.

To go farther, you will have to find nobility though.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 08, 2012 05:57AM

The Duke of Monmouth

But then lots of people are - my bassist in my last-but-one band was also a descendant of the same guy (but he was also Winston Churchill's great-nephew, so that figures, somehow).

It's a vaguely interesting fact that has never brought me anything, not even a free lunch.

Tom in Paris

Date: May 09, 2014 11:46PM

I traced my ancestry back to a single celled organism.

I win !

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 10, 2014 12:19AM

You win all right. Every one of us goes back to whatever the first living things were. It's not a miracle; it's how the process works. From one, the many. E Unum, Pluribus.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: May 10, 2014 07:51AM

Dave, I hate to break it to you but, can't we all?

Date: May 10, 2014 01:33PM

I traced my ancestry back to a self replicating molecule.

I win.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: May 10, 2014 03:29AM

My Grandmother told me that one of my ancestors was killed by a bull and another was hanged for stealing a horse. She advised me to stay away from livestock "in case it runs in the family."

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 10, 2014 03:47AM

(I was still afraid of the thing and wouldn't touch it for fear of breaking it) a church friend asked if he could print out his genealogy on our printer, as his was not working.

I guess it was on a disk or maybe even a card - I don't remember - anyway, I do remember that it spewed out LOTS of pages - I glanced at some of them and it looked like a Who's Who of Western European history.

The way he had it figured, this guy was related to just about everybody I'd ever heard of in Western Civ, including El Cid, Charlemagne, most of the royal lines of the UK and Western Europe, and a number of others I had never heard of.

I figured that many of the European royal families are inbred, but to have THAT MANY of them in your own background? I figured either it was BS or there was a kink in the records somewhere.

I was forever after afraid to go very far back in my own family records. I figured I'd find out that somebody in one line got hanged for robbing a bank, or somebody else rotted away in the dungeons for plotting against the King or something. I didn't want to know about it.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 10, 2014 07:45AM

Our family records includes a witch or two who got killed and the first recorded English settler to the "New World" who got hanged for murder...plus, truthfully, some important figures as well. I find the most valuable part of knowing one's recent ancestry to be the tracing of genetically passed attributes including, including in my case a childhood speech problem and a later heart condition and a specific tendency to have a hearing problem.

Date: May 10, 2014 09:32AM

Mathematically, each generation you go back will double to number of ancestors. In less than 400 or 500 years, the number of ancestors in that specific generation will be more than the population of Europe. The actual number is a lot smaller because the same people of course will appear in your tree a number of times due to cousin marriage.

It's pretty safe to assume most people alive in Europe at any given time before 500 years ago (that had descendants) was your ancestor at least one time. I've read a study that claimed that before 3000 years ago, most alive people in the world was your ancestor.

Scandinavians will be blond and blue eyed because a massive majority of its ancestors had those genes, for example, but they also descended from greeks, syrians, germans, romans, etc.

Posted by: germanyonmymind ( )
Date: May 10, 2014 06:14AM

Geanology, or however you spell it, seems like a complete joke to me. If it's true, then I can trace mine all the way back to Middle-Earth. Yes one of my oldest sets of ancestors were a hobbit and an elf. They were married and that is why I am short and my two living siblings are tall. I have the genetic strands of a hobbit, and my siblings have the genetic strands of an elf.

How wonderful this is!!! *end sarcasm*

On a side note: I apologize if my responses seem choppy or disconnected somehow, but, I am new to this site, but not to Mormonism and ex-Mormonism. Also, I'm not very old yet, but I'm not a teenager anymore, thankfully, and I still have a lot of life to discover and many more experiences to encounter.

Thank you for listening to my ramblings!

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: May 10, 2014 07:54AM

I think we have hobbit and elf too, heck maybe some dwarf to keep it real :)

Posted by: Lilly White ( )
Date: May 10, 2014 07:00AM

DH's grandfather recounted that he is related to Stonewall Jackson. Apparently, Stonewall had a squaw for a companion through whom he had a son. :-)

DH's sister supposedly located records in some archive that proved this, but when she returned to get a copy, the documents were "missing." (rolls eyes)

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 10, 2014 07:39AM

I have lines supposedly traced back to Odin AND to Adam, etc. Makes for a good laugh. BTW, who needs records? The HG can confirm it for you. Just pray and get a "good feeling".

Date: May 10, 2014 09:22AM

I've traced mine to portuguese nobility and through it, to the Caliph of Cordoba. The Caliph or Cordoba had its descend from Mohammed well documented. Following the islamic traditional ascent for Mohammed to Ishmael son of Abraham. Then it was easy to use the book of Genesis to link Abraham to Adam.

It is clearly bogus, specially from Mohammed backwards. If the medium intergenerational interval had been 33 years (it had remained true up to that point), Adam would have lived after 2000 BC. It wouldn't fit even the 6000 story.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: May 10, 2014 10:12AM

Even Burke's Peerage and other standards from which many people glean their noble European lines are full of obvious mistakes. Research using Family Search, Ancestry, or other online sources that rely on user information yields even worse results, like children older than parents, mothers dying years before their children were born, children whose birth dates are 100 years after their parents, etc. etc. etc. Yet people shove all this misinformation into their own trees and spread it all over the internet without even doing basic fact-checking. Mormons are especially guilty because no one teaches them to compare the dates, places, and names to make sure the data is even possible.

I'm descended from Jamestown settlers, nine Scottish clans, and a lot of European nobility/royalty (including Charlemagne), so it's been pretty easy to *find* information -- unfortunately, a fair amount of it is probably wrong.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.