Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 01:24PM

Now that it's clear that Romney will face Obama for US president, I wonder: How harsh can Obama get in slamming mormonism without it backlashing in the general electorate?

The public seemed to take the necrodunking serious and not feel the Mos were the victims. Are there other issues in which the Mos are the perpetuators and can't pin victimhood on themselves?

The way I see it, there are hot button issues, but some of them will make the "attacker" look worse.

For example, asking Mitt about the temple secrets will elicit concerns over private worship, personal sacredness, etc.

Asking him about whether children are being compelled to discuss sex issues during interviews could backfire because it may be an issue in many other churches (then again, it sure hit the Catholics hard).

Talking about quirky, non-threatening doctrines, such as WoW, celestial kingdom, God once a man, probably won't get more than a shrug from most people.

What other issues may get voters upset at Mormons?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2012 01:43PM by Jesus Smith.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 01:26PM

Obama won't have to dirty his own hands with any mud-slinging. Which is traditionally not something Dems do with any skill, anyway.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 03:50PM

He wont do the mud slilnging it's mainly up to us.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 04:20PM

The strength of the internet is that it's not organized and not coming from someone who can be threatened, bought off, painted as a bigot, etc.

It is irony because the anti-Mormon movement is the strength of a bee swarm. It's very mindlessness is it's greatest weakness.

Americans don't recognize mindlessness unless it is spelled out in non-religious terms. It's like we all have an agreement that the unlikely or even the ridiculous will never be challenged if it is expressed in the framework of religion or patriotism. We respect Virgin Mary believers but not flat earth believers, even though they used to be the same people.

Rick Santorum is a good example of that. Politics aside, the backward positions he had were all hohummed until he said something against going to college. It was a bitchslap to the face and woke people up that their guy is way, way off. He lost respect.

Mormonism is getting trounced right now on the subject of baptizing dead people against their known wishes when they were living. The Jews died for their faith, so it isn't the faith that's under the microscope, it's the fact that Mormons do not respect the wishes of the dead. Americans have a strong culture of honoring end of life wishes--we have legal documents for that. Shall these documents now include the phrase, "I expressly forbid my name to be used in Mormon baptism ceremonies?"

Mormons were called out for being out of step with American culture.

Should non-profits in America be allowed a tax exemption without transparency?Europe says no. America says well, ok...if you grease my palm.

If exmormons are to unite, let's make it about the lack of transparency and the receiving of large amounts of taxpayer monies through tax relief for a corporation which is a BUSINESS making a PROFIT and is financed on the back of the American taxpayer.

There's something everyone would agree on--and you would immediately hear a move for public access to financial records reframed as an attack on religion. Just asking for transparency would be called a war on God, the beginning of the End of Days....an attack against morality.

When it is really the beginning of morality.

Anagrammy

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 07:21PM

I suppose we're going to have either an Islam nation or a mormon nation. Just my opinion.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 07:19PM

Obama won't go there with Mitt. He'll let other people do that for him. Barack will focus on Mitt's political shortcomings, flip-flopping, and inability to connect with ordinary people. He might hum the occasional "Book of Mormon" tune just before the debates.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.