Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Church Enemy ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 01:27AM

I have quite a few.

Here I go.

Lester Burnham from the film American Beauty: As a member of the church I envied this guy and felt guilty for it, he pretty much has enough of just living up to other people's expectations.

He finally takes a stand for who he really wants to be, he embraces what I consider the Authentic Self.

Here's Lester in action..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMeTN2y2otw

Beast from the Beauty and Beast: When I watch the film I almost want to burst into tears because he is a parallel of what happened to me as a missionary. You see, I was a happy go lucky kid going into my mission, I had a lot of hopes and dreams and was looking forward being the best missionary that I could be. But then the unexpected happened, the creepy endowment ceremony at the early part of my mission caused the first chink to my armor (testimony). And it all went down to hell after that.

I carried a burden of doubt and fear that snowballed into a monster for years to come. In a metaphorical sense, from being a prince I turned into an angry and bitter beast. Then one day,after many years of endless searching my Beauty arrived. It was the beauty of truth that liberated me from my emotional and mental curse caused by the falsehood of Mormonism.

I have more characters that I will share with you but I want to hear from you first.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thinker ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 01:38AM

Oh, definitely Truman from The Truman Show. I was lucky no one realized I had peeked behind the giant screen. By the time anyone noticed, I was on my way down the road.....

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 01:52AM

Shoot you beat me to it. From my exit story:

It was then that the walls of what I thought were reality and my perception of the world came crashing down. Strangely it didn't feel like a tragedy. It felt wonderful. I had a change in my paradigm of reality. I suppose this makes me a “rare person.” I felt as though I were Truman Burbank at his moment of discovery that Sea Haven was a stage. I saw that what I once thought was sky was a painted dome. I saw the empty elevators, staged testimonies, false friendships, and unfulfilled promises. I saw the focus on the temple, not on Christ. I saw the increased focus on tithing, the malls, the universities, the investments. The handshakes, the secret symbols, the changed doctrine, all of it. My eyes opened. My view of the world flipped right-side-up. I saw the truth before me as plain as day. Call it what you will, I saw the Matrix.

Posted by: Hotel California ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 01:42AM

When I was in college, I took one of those personality test things, and at the end of the test there were examples of famous people who I am most like. Apparently, I have a lot in common with Eeyore (yes, from Whinnie the Pooh) and Joe Friday.

Yeah, so... That was kinda depressing.

I'm still trying to figure out who I am. TSCC did a real mind-F on me.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 01:44AM

The beast was a selfish creature from the get-go. There's a lot of interesting speculation on the Beauty and the Beast story; meaning it teaches girls that love can change a "beastly" man.

I always related to characters/women like She-Ra, Catwoman, the sisters from Heart, and Madonna. For some reason I have always been attracted to female characters that encompass dual characteristics like Kali, Athena, Artemis, Itzpapalotl, Ix'Chel, Coatlicue, White Buffalo Woman, Hecate.....

But apparently Bob from Drugstore Cowboy is my personality, lol. Also Polgara if you are into David Eddings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2012 01:46AM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 01:50AM

Franchesca Johnson
sandy Olsson
The devine miss M

Date: March 10, 2012 02:00AM

For some reason I get the line...

"Please don't be offended, but you remind me of Bette Midler."

How could that ever be offensive?

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 02:10AM

I hope there's a life after this one. In my next life I'll be able to sing. And it won't be with an angelic choir.

Posted by: Church enemy ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 01:51AM

Good point on the Beast, I relate to him in the sense of him transforming into a beast and then returning to his old self but better than ever. That is what I occurred to me, I was good before my mission but now I am at my prime.

Date: March 10, 2012 02:06AM

Maybe I'm doing some "mindreading" but you sound very young and impetuous.

I love "Beauty and the Beast" and often joke that is my BF and I.....sometimes I'm the Beast and he's the Beauty, and so on....

American Beauty is a great film and one of my faves. I always feel like a combination of Jane/Carolyn/Angela, which is a typical conflicted female area.

Posted by: The Cheshire Cat ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 02:00AM

there's a short comic stip of Snoopy freely and happily skipping along the sidewalk (by himself) w/the most satisfied/happy'peaceful look on his face. This is his demeanor for the first 3 of the 4 "frames" in the comic strip.
Then, in the last frame, there's a Stop sign, and he stops immediately to "obey it", but has the saddest/most disappointed look on his face/in his demeanor.
This reminds me of me bec. I was once a happy-go-lucky person, then all of the Rules, Lies, Hypocricy, etc. of the LDS church brought me down to my knees, and made me feel trapped and unble to truly be myself. I actually cried when I saw this particular comic strip, bec. it reminded me so much of what had been taken away from me/lost bec. of that FAKE CULT "-

Date: March 10, 2012 02:10AM

Actually, I'm far from young but I'm not middle aged either.

And I tend to be methodical.

Date: March 10, 2012 02:18AM

When I say young, I mean experience. And by experience, I mean some really outlandish, crazy, insane, educating, real life experiences.

Date: March 10, 2012 02:21AM

Here's my definition of being methodical: Thinking things through like if I was playing a chess game, constantly analyzing and weighing options and decisions.

I did, at one point, just go after things thinking that my invisible Sky Daddy was going to interfere on my behalf and make things smoother for me. And of course, such was not the case.

Date: March 10, 2012 02:51AM

The problem is when you start to compartamentalize life into one cataegory- It's not that way.

If you think of life like chess, it might be only be black and white for you with lucky dashes of grey.

Life is not just color ether. It's a balance.

Posted by: drjekyll ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 03:55AM

Your definition methodical sounds a lot more like the definition of manipulative in the "calculating" sense.

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 03:02AM

Idk why, but I can't see the replies...what's up with that?

Date: March 10, 2012 03:06AM

Sorry if this is a repost...
Sookie Stackhouse, because my nickname is also Sookie.
I'm southern proper, try to be good and non-judgemental, think of tea only as iced tea, attract odd people, never have trouble attracting a mate, worked as a waitress in a crappy small-town bar, and have a strong sense of self.

Date: March 10, 2012 03:13AM

When I first started reading the books ( a couple weeks ago), I hated her! But then I remembered being a waitress sucks and people suck!. :)

Date: March 10, 2012 03:22AM

I didn't think I would like her, but a friend of mine thought it was funny that she's Sookie, and I'm Sookie, which was hell in high school (all the A-holes would yell "aw, Sookie, Sookie now!" All the F*cking time! >:(! ). I'm also a LA native, Lafayette.
GEAUX SAINTS! Sorry, it just slips out, I can't help it.

Posted by: drjekyll ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 03:15AM

Posted by: Elaine Dalton ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 03:34AM

I always thought Jane eyre, but I don't know if I'm paying myself a massive compliment there.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 03:40AM

Date: March 10, 2012 03:45AM

I know it's a total bastardization, but the 'Moonlighting' version with Bruce Willis as Pertrucio always had me in stitches! :)

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 07:47AM

Blind Mag ofcorse. What little I have they all atributed to god or themselves but instead of this freeing me its left me trapped.

God did this so you have to beleve in him and pay us ten percent of everything you own because we own you now.

No such thing as an act of kindness.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 08:16AM

Leela
http://vikki.ethernauts.net/leela.html

Emma Peel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvmgrnsaE1U

Wonder Woman
http://www.myfreewallpapers.net/comics/pages/wonder-woman-40.shtml

This is what happens when you watch old shows as a kid on PBS. You might want to be a smart, sexy sophisticated scientist or or something when you grow up :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 10:04AM

I always like female characters who came from conventional backgrounds but who have a strong streak of independence and an adventurous spirit.

Growing up, I liked Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden. As I grew older, I found that I could relate in many ways to Elizabeth Bennet from "Pride and Prejudice." I also can relate to Kinsey Milhone's (from the Sue Grafton alphabet mysteries) independence, self-sufficiency, and resourcefulness. Her personality is rather tougher and darker than my own, however.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 10:18AM

In the movie "A Bridge Too Far," which is based on a true story, there is an early subplot, that also really happened, of a young intelligence officer in the British Army, who realizes that the barely defended countryside around Arnhem, has just been reinforced by an entire German tank division, and that the large British airborne force that is scheduled to land there is going to get wiped out. This is a major part of the largest airborne assault in history, and has been planned for months, but no one will listen to him, even after he manages to secure pictures of German tanks outside the town. Instead, he is sent to a mental asylum for having a paranoid mental breakdown, and an entire British Airborne division, ends up wiped out, along with several parts of the two American airborne divisions, in what becomes the biggest set back of the Western allies in the war. That is who I feel like sometimes when dealing with TBM family members.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 10:48AM

Minnie Mouse.

I decline to explain why.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 11:19AM

The Lady of Shalott lives in an island castle on a river which flows to Camelot, but little is known about her. A mysterious curse is on her if she looks directly at Camelot, so she weaves images on her loom without ever looking directly out at the world. Instead, she looks into a mirror which reflects the busy road and the people of Camelot which pass by her island.

The reflected images are described as "shadows of the world," a metaphor that makes clear that they are a poor substitute ("I am half-sick of shadows," she says.) But one day she sees "bold Sir Lancelot" as he rides by. She stops weaving and looks out her window toward Camelot, bringing about the curse.

She leaves her tower, finds a boat and floats down the river to Camelot. She dies before arriving at the palace. Among the knights and ladies who see her is Lancelot, who thinks she is lovely.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 11:27AM

Baloo the bear from Jungle Book,,

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 11:32AM

Tristan from Legends of The Fall...

Not in looks of course, but similar in ways of being a lost, tortured, searching and loving person.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.