Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 06:09PM

Got the results of the blood test. All normal, except, of course, for the glucose content of my blood. It's way to high.

I have an appointment with my doctor's diabetes nurse next Friday at 8am.

We'll review the results and work out what treatment programme will work best.

Am I worried? Yes. But at least I know.

Looks like there will have to be some fairly major lifestyle changes.

According to some websites I have looked at all alcohol is banned, as are many vegetables, plus dairy products and chocolate.

However, some website describe "Ban it all!" advice as out of date.

Hopefully I'll get some sensible information from the diabetes nurse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2012 06:10PM by matt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 16, 2012 06:34PM

Thanks for that advice. I'll keep it in mind.

By the way, the surgery (aka Doctor's Office) have a podiatrist lined up, so that's taken care of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2012 06:35PM by matt.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 07:05PM

You have my best wishes, matt. Be well.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 07:53PM

I add cinnamon to foods I eat, especially carbs, even the complex ones that are good for you. I've been able to keep my numbers under 120 as a result. I swear by the stuff. It's been three years since I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2012 07:54PM by imalive.

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: March 17, 2012 12:07PM

My wife is on the verge of type 2 diabetes and she has lost a ton of weight and exercises all the time. She has to watch what she eats but she is keeping it under control. She knows a ton of stuff about nutrition and blood sugar levels.

She told me the same thing about cinnimon. Its really good for you. She puts it in oatmeal and tea.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 07:57PM

If you'd like, drop me a note. I was diagnosed back in 1991. I'm more under control than back then, and I can give you suggestions.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 17, 2012 02:36AM

Let the rest of us benefit!

Ana

Posted by: Chris Deanna ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 08:26PM

Matt, diabetes is a scarey word at first and an even scarier disease. I am a recovering diabetic (had full blown type two for 15 years using insulin,) lost 180 pounds and no longer test as a diabetic. When first diagnosed, I dove right in. Dairy is my friend...cheesaholic...most everything you can have it's a matter of portions and most importantly combinations of foods during the same meal. Weight Watchers has this new thing specifically designed to help diabetics make good food choices, I would check it out (first meeting is FREE). I learned that while a small (1/2 cup) of rice, an apple, a chunck of cheese and a cup of milk all sound good...TOGETHER they are a blood sugar's nightmare because EXCEPT for the cheese the rest are all carbs. This will make sense to you as you learn more. You can manage this...it's not cancer, it's just diabetes! Good luck post questions, I'll be looking for you.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 08:34PM

Diabetes runs rampant in my family. Ironically we're all to the thin side.
I don't have it yet, but expect it anytime. I mostly eat like a diabetic. My one exception is a glass of wine a couple times a week.
I think the most difficult thing about diabetes, is it changes your habits for life. Sometimes you want to say screw it and revert to being 20 again. The everydayness of it can get old. Don't want to be a downer, but that's reality.
On the good side....it's most likely manageable. You can tame the beast.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 09:33PM

I've had to make small modifications in what I do and eat, but nothing onerous, and I've kept my A1C at healthy levels ever since. I've never even had to have my oral meds (all I need) changed. Please *Please* go to the living with diabetes classes that your physician will recommend. It's mostly common sense and good advice, but it helps to have it all laid out by an expert. Blood testing is a minor annoyance at best, and with the medicines available today, there's no reason you can't have a long and happy life. As long as you tell yourself, "If I really REALLY want that piece of cake/ 2nd pint/ dish of ice cream, I will have it", You'll find temptation easier to manage. The occasional indulgence will not hurt you, just as long as you keep it as that--occasional. Best of luck to you.

Date: March 16, 2012 09:46PM

Thank you all for your support. It means so much to me.

I don't mid the blood tests. Not if it's done by someone competent, that is! ;oD

Date: March 16, 2012 10:34PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucometer

You're going to have to test yourself a few times a day.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: March 17, 2012 10:01AM

because i only use two!! like a pin cushion!! sometimes when i prick the wrong place it hurts... but mostly it is just a slight annoyance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2012 10:01AM by bignevermo.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 09:59PM

My husband, a very thin person, was diagnosed with type 1 when he turned 30. He went on insulin immediately.

It was a huge shock and adjustment, but it becomes routine after a while.

While type 2 is seen as "easier" to deal with, in some ways it's harder, because everybody blames you for not loosing weight.

Take it slow and don't panic!

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 10:48PM

I'm sorry it had to happen to you, but at least you found out before living with it untreated for terribly long.
My dad was diagnosed type II not too long ago. He immediately lost some weight simply through better blood sugar control.
His was probably caused by two things: sleep apnea, and the statin he's been prescribed. :(

The reason alcohol packs such a bad blood sugar punch is because it acts just like sugar but has 3 extra calories per gram.
Straight sugar is 4 cal/gram, while alcohol is 7 cal/gram.

While fat is 9 calories per gram, it won't cause the spike in blood sugar that is so bad for you. In good moderation, of course! :)

Date: March 17, 2012 07:38AM

WinksWinks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sorry it had to happen to you, but at least
> you found out before living with it untreated for
> terribly long.
> My dad was diagnosed type II not too long ago. He
> immediately lost some weight simply through better
> blood sugar control.
> His was probably caused by two things: sleep
> apnea, and the statin he's been prescribed. :(
>
> The reason alcohol packs such a bad blood sugar
> punch is because it acts just like sugar but has 3
> extra calories per gram.
> Straight sugar is 4 cal/gram, while alcohol is 7
> cal/gram.
>
> While fat is 9 calories per gram, it won't cause
> the spike in blood sugar that is so bad for you.
> In good moderation, of course! :)

S**T! I suffer from sleep apnea and they just doubled my statins because of my diabetes!. :o((

Date: March 17, 2012 09:24AM

If you've got sleep apnea, go get a sleep study, and be fitted for CPAP machine. They take some getting used to, but its worth it. When you put on the mask at night, just pretend you're a jet pilot. And thank the Flying Sphagetti Monster for the NHS. All these treatments cost flippin' great wadges of money.

PS: Lay off the bacon sarnies.

Date: March 17, 2012 02:09PM

Bacon sarnies are the food of the Gods! Had a bacon, sausage and egg sarnie yesterday, for breakfast! ;oD

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 17, 2012 01:34AM

My husband has it too, and it has been quite a jolt to our lifestyle.

I hope you get a good "diabetes educator." They make all the difference The first one my husband was assigned to was a total jerk, very unprofessional. I attended the meetings with him, so I know how she behaved. (I wanted to learn everything I could about it too, after all.) I talked with a doctor I already knew in the Endocrinology Department, and told her- verbatim - a few of the snide remarks that this "diabetes educator" had made, and I asked for my husband to please be assigned to a different one.

Our new consultant is very nice, very professional, and a joy to work with.

Take care of yourself, bro!

Posted by: fetching49 ( )
Date: March 17, 2012 02:35AM

Low-carb is a wonderful lifestyle and I personally have seen many reduce their diabetes or leave it behind (beginning stages, not insulin dependant yet). I suggest you read Sugar Busters. It's very balanced and easy. No counting, etc. You just avoid all those wonderfully refined processed goodies and replace them with real food. It's hard at first but totally worth it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2012 02:35AM by fetching49.

Posted by: mormonimposter ( )
Date: March 17, 2012 06:02AM

If you're a person who enjoys cooking, you should subscribe to a diabetes cookbook-type magazine. Even if it's not only recipes, all of the diabetes-centered have recipes in every issue, along with lots of other useful information. I don't have diabetes, but I have relatives and friends with it, and reading the occasional diabetes-oriented magazine really helps understand what they're going through, and prepares me in case I get it in the future. (It also helps when cooking for them...the recipes are actually really good!)

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: March 17, 2012 06:49AM

you develop peripheral neuropathy. There is no pain like neuropathy pain! Judging from the spelling of "programme", you are not living in the only industrialized nation on earth that doesn't offer health care coverage for all of its citizens, therefore you have access to care right away (here in the US, insulin is over $100 a vial if you don't have insurance).

Best Wishes!

Date: March 17, 2012 07:40AM

possiblypagan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you develop peripheral neuropathy. There is no
> pain like neuropathy pain! Judging from the
> spelling of "programme", you are not living in the
> only industrialized nation on earth that doesn't
> offer health care coverage for all of its
> citizens, therefore you have access to care right
> away (here in the US, insulin is over $100 a vial
> if you don't have insurance).
>
> Best Wishes!

At the moment I pay for prescriptions, about £8.00 or so an item. But diabetics do not have to pay for any prescriptions in the UK, so that will save some money.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 17, 2012 07:08AM

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: March 17, 2012 09:37AM

Sorry to hear of the diagnosis. It can be controlled better with diet and exercise and medication in most cases. Good luck. This getting older sucks, but it beats the alternative.

Eric

Date: March 17, 2012 02:10PM

Eric, I agree with you, mate! MUCH better than the alternative! :oD

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: March 17, 2012 09:57AM

where did you read that these "banned" items... nothing is banned... if you eat chocolate... dont eat the whole bar eat just a little and make it dark(less sugar) and dont do it often...dairy? cheese does not drive up your sugar...veggies?? some may have more carbs than others...but i have never heard of a "banned veggie"...fruits on the other hand need to be looked at...and fruit juices? well they need to be curtailed greatly... certain fruits need to be treated as sugar...eating watermellon is almost like eating sugar...alcohol actually can lower your blood sugar...not the "full beers" though...my blood sugar is not greatly influenced by Mich Ultra...only 2.6 carbs per 12 oz bottle...:)
the nurse will try and steer you from fattining foods...which is where the less dairy comes in... Milk has "milk sugar' so that needs to be curtailed...you may have a "nazi" nurse who will try and tell you certain items are "banned"...but when you eat an item that will raise your sugar significantly...just dont eat much...please familiarize yourself with the "glycemic index" and "glycemic load"...that way you can make your own choices... you should be "allowed" a certain amount of carbs for the day and so that is what you need to follow...what you dont want are "spikes" in your blood sugar...i drank about 5 drinks of rum and diet coke last night and my blood sugar was 109 this am... so dont let the diabetic "nazis" get you down... any questions...feel free to email me... bignevermo@gmail.com...good luck and keep up the walking :)

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 17, 2012 10:04AM

I'm sorry to hear that Matt. I just got told myself that I'm pre-diabetic, so I've been reading everything I can. It's scary, but I guess knowledge is power.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: March 17, 2012 12:37PM

Sorry to hear the news, matt.

My mom was diagnosed with diabetes about 20 years ago and made a lot of changes to her diet and started exercising. Strangely, I think that has made her a healthier 80 year old than had she kept with her old diet and lack of exercise. Of course, it would have been better if she made these changes without the diabetes but ... well, as she puts it, 'diabetes is my personal trainer who watches me 24/7 and keeps me inline.'

Chin up, mate!

Posted by: plodder ( )
Date: March 17, 2012 01:12PM

Matt,

I am qualified podiatrist in the UK and have worked in the diabetic clinic run by the local GPs for the last 10 years, they are usually a one stop shop where you will see the doctor, nurse, podiatrist and dietician. If you have not already been told get your eyes checked for diabetic retinopathy by the optician then please arrange an appointment, this should be done on a yearly basis. If you want any more info let me know.

Plodder

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2012 01:13PM by plodder.

Date: March 17, 2012 02:12PM

That's good info.

Please do let me know more. Pity you aren't in my doctor's surgery!

Posted by: plodder ( )
Date: March 17, 2012 02:51PM

Matt,

You will get good information when you go to the diabetic clinic, from the podiatrists point of view they should ask you if you have tingling sensations or any feeling of numbness in your feet/legs, feet feeling really hot/cold, they should test your circulation ie check for the pulses in the feet. They should also test your sensation and give you information and advice leaflets. One good piece of advice I give to everyone is not to walk about the house barefoot to avoid contact with any sharp objects!

Noticed further up that you said the doctor has doubled your statin doseage. If you are on simvastatin please be aware that you can get cramping and altered sensations in your arms and legs as a side effect of the medication. Have had several cases of this with patients lately.

Plodder

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.