Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: March 19, 2012 11:25PM

So we have a lot of people who are deployed in the military and Oaks drops this insulting stink bomb:

"I reaffirm the counsel Church leaders have given that husbands and wives should not separate for long periods, such as for foreign or other distant employment. In too many cases, such separations are followed by serious sin. Separations lead to the breaking of eternal covenants, which causes heartache and loss of blessings. "

I guess he thinks everyone just jumps for their neighbors as soon as their spouse is out of sight for a day????
Come ON! There are lots of faithful couples who live through and survive the separation of 'distant or foreign' employment!

And they manage to do it with the deliberate withholding of the church's help when they need it too!

Try and get your water heater element changed when your husband is out in the field.... you'll just have to heat water on the stove in a pot until he gets home. After all, what business is it of the TSCC to help the 'fatherless and the widows' IN THEIR AFFLICTION!

Also if your husband is gone, your BP will be the first to steal your water when it's your water turn, to give his garden another watering. (He won't share a nibble of his garden with you either. But he stole your water turn WHICH you PAID FOR!)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 19, 2012 11:34PM

They just want your spouse home so they can use them.

Also, not every body has the luxury of a job that doesn't require you to be away from your family at times.

In our first years of marriage my husband had to travel quite a bit. Our marriage grew stronger because of it. I think we came to appreciate each other more than we would have otherwise.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 20, 2012 01:01AM

The Mormons have always given lip service to military service, then done everything possible to discourage members from actually serving in it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 20, 2012 01:07AM

Is it possible for a mormon big wig to make a statement without using the word "blessings" ?

And just how does one tell if one has or does not have blessings ?

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 20, 2012 01:19AM

Ahh blessings.

When my stepson was on his mission members were always asking us if we were enjoying all the blessings we were getting.

Finally my husband lost it. He got up in TM and told everyone to stop asking him that. He told them, my wife has cancer and might die. My father has cancer and will be dead within 2 weeks. If you really want me to have blessings, pray for my son to come home before my whole family is dead.

That was the only time in 20 years he ever said a word in FT meeting. People did lay off the blessing comments.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 20, 2012 10:05AM

Mormons are told that blessings and punishments are doled out by a judgmental God as a reward for members’ obedience or disobedience to church directives. This is B.S., taught for the purpose of shaming and controlling members.

It sounds like your DH actually caused some thinking to occur in sac meeting that day. Good for him!

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: March 20, 2012 01:29AM

So what is the church doing to help military families? Protesting against wars? Lobbying for fewer or shorter deployments? Or just adding more guilt to a stressful situation?

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 20, 2012 01:30AM

It must be nice for Oaks to avoid tough decisions that affect working couples. Why would anyone separate from a spouse for any reason other than making a living? It happens to people less privileged than Oaks all the time.

They're called the salt of the Earth. Oaks is assault after birth.

Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: March 20, 2012 02:15AM

Not separate for long periods or else sin can creep in?! So Classic and typical from Mormondum. In other words "You are weak". "Rely on us" "Satin has power over you". and don't read our History which speaks of J.S. marrying women of Men sent on Missions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2012 02:17AM by runningyogi.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: March 20, 2012 07:36AM

Years ago, SWKimball gave a talk at BYU, in which he stated that no worthy priesthood holder would take a job that required him to frequently travel away from home and be away from his family. Half under my breath, I asked, "oh, you mean like being a GA?" Wow! Did I ever get the evil eye from those around me.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: March 20, 2012 09:39AM

Mormon Observer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Try and get your water heater element changed when
> your husband is out in the field.... you'll just
> have to heat water on the stove in a pot until he
> gets home. After all, what business is it of the
> TSCC to help the 'fatherless and the widows' IN
> THEIR AFFLICTION!

I am confused by this statement. Are you trying to tell me that a plumber won't come out to your house to fix your water heater unless the call comes from a man? I don't understand.

I have lived alone my entire adult life. I bought my own house when I was 33. There has never been a man in my house to make sure stuff gets fixed; that responsibility has always been on me (or my landlord in the cases where I was renting). I've never had a problem getting a plumber or any other contractor out to my house to fix something.

Have I mis-read this comment?

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: March 21, 2012 05:28AM

and thermostat, and cleaned out the tank.

Except when I was pregnant! Me and my "bump" couldn't fit where the water heater was in the closet!

Also in the nearly all Mormon town where I lived, there WAS NO PLUMBER! I know, hard to believe, but the nearest one lived 100 miles away in Las Vegas and you can imagine what they might charge if they even could be persuaded to take the job!

So with husband gone all week long to a job over three hours away, there were other things that I could have used a little bit of help on over the years. Just neighborly help, not much, but I wasn't "family" to the Mormons of my ward. I wasn't part of the 'ward family' either; because it did NOT EXIST.

When in the military I did get help. When I lived in the town of 600 population with two full wards..... they just as soon spit on me as look at me.... so much for the "help" you could rely on from the Lard... oh, excuse me, the CHURCH!!!

My Bp got up two weeks before Christmas one year and congratulated the ward for doing 100% home teaching before Christmas! I, and another single woman with children were not visited, so someone lied, or we were not on the Home Teaching list! Hard to sit there and watch the Bishoprick congratulate themselves for a job not done!

I was completely faithful to my absent husband and lived in a town with no adult friends I could visit with or plan activities with outside of formal church meetings. All I had was five children 24/7 with NO sitters either.
So thanks D.Oaks for claiming people are unfaithful as Joey the moment their spouse's back is turned and away!

Putz.

Posted by: glass-3/4 full ( )
Date: March 20, 2012 01:09PM

"I reaffirm the counsel Church leaders have given that husbands and wives should not separate for long periods, such as for foreign or other distant employment. In too many cases, such separations are followed by serious sin. Separations lead to the breaking of eternal covenants, which causes heartache and loss of blessings. "

...yeah, look what happened when Joseph Smith sent husbands on far away missions so he could wed and bed their wives.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: March 20, 2012 09:30PM

Well, it IS kind of a cliche that wives of deployed soldiers will comfort themselves with other servicemen. Pretty well known pattern here in military-base Hawaii.

And there's always an increase of murder/suicide cases among GIs during active wars.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: March 20, 2012 10:05PM

glass-3/4 full - you beat me to it.

This is a wonderful teaching opportunity. You can use the example of Orson and Marinda Hyde as an example. Orson went on a mission to Jerusalem and Joseph Smith crept into their marriage.
http://www.wivesofjosephsmith.org/11-MarindaJohnsonHyde.htm

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: March 21, 2012 05:52AM

AS IF MORmON couples really spend much meaningful time together if LDS INC has its way & keeps them on the LDS INC treadmill all of the time. AS IF they really know each other in a marriage based primarily on LDS BS!

My TBM uncle loves to tell the story of a local couple from his town that retired and then went on a full time mission. they had always been busy with making a living, raising a family and the church instead of having to deal with each other. when they found themselves together on a full time basis on a full time mission, then they could not stand each other and they promptly divorced.

Theres a MORmON SUCK-CESS story for you!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 21, 2012 07:47AM

I think you will find that it's a subtle way of GA's justifying taking (and letting the widows mite foot the bill) their wives when they go away on Church business trips, like the one Oakes has just taken to Japan.

Posted by: davesnothere ( )
Date: March 21, 2012 08:03AM

It’s the typical “Do as I say, not as I do”. They justify their actions because they’re about the Lord’s business and the Lord’s business takes precedent in all things even to the neglect of their own family. Besides they'll have an eternity to make up for all the lost time and moments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2012 08:04AM by davesnothere.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 21, 2012 08:04AM

ChurchCo 'gets to be the 'winner', no matter Which Way the wind blows, Don't they?

What a racquet!

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: March 21, 2012 11:06AM

They think they live in a black & white one-size-fits all universe. But, they don't.

I work out of town from my home. It's an awesome job that is fulfilling and makes me feel good about myself. My husband comes to visit every week or so, and actually I'd say it has made us appreciate each other more than ever. We're considering a permanent move, if he can secure a transfer, but we're not really sure how long this is going to go on. Either way, the stress of unemployment was far more risky for our relationship than the stress of commuting every weekend.

We are not all made from the same mold and we have differing needs and different relationships. I'm not naive enough to believe that there's no way my husband will ever cheat on me, but I'm not going to make decisions for my life based on that as an inevitibility.

My life is good how it is, that's plainly obvious. I don't need judgey advice from some out-of-touch pasty old white man.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.