Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 01:27AM

Got this dippy doozy today, subject-line referenced to a previous RfM post of mine, "Re: [exmobb_recovery] Backway Passages, Teleprompters, Foodfests and Church Security: 'insider' memories of General Conference."

(Here's a link to that post, together with a similarly-disgruntled missive from a mad Mormon: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,6227,6506)
_____

Anyway, the most recent "appalled" Mormon's email read as follows:

"Steve Benson.......there will be a place for people like you. You should be ashamed of yourself, but then people like you should be pitied more than anything.

"Appalled in Canada"
_____

I replied:

"Yeah, I thought it would be in those underground tunnels running to and from Temple Square but since I left the Mormon church, I prefer walking above ground in the sunshine.

"Thanks for writing."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2012 09:40PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: djmaciii ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 01:33AM

I always love reading your posts Steve. Especially with your Noble heritage and all. Must have taken a lot of nerve to reject it the Morg. Nice that you never took the easy road. And I'm not just blowing "sun beams" up your ass.

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 08:55AM

+1!!!

Posted by: up ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 05:06PM

Posted by: Can't Resist ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 09:09AM

It always amazes me that for as much time as these people spend in church it is such an unkind and cruel group. Perhaps there's an inverse relationship between compassion and time spent in church.

Your response was incredibly gentle. Good for you.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 09:27AM

There will be a place for you? Can we all go there? Because I'm sure the conversation will be more interesting, there will be plenty of intelligent reading material, the parties will be more fun and the place will be Mormon-free. Sounds like a very good deal to me. Did he mention if posting on this board gets you a ticket to that "place" or if I have to do something more? Please let me know :)

Posted by: omen ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 09:36AM

So many people I know from my past are still religious in some way. Most still in the mormon church, some in others. But what strikes me is how so many of them regardless of where they worship really seem to miss the point of what their religion is supposed to be doing. Am I wrong in thinking that religion, ideally, is supposed to teach people kindness, understanding, and compassion?

So many miss the point.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 09:49AM

Steve, I hope there really is a place for people like us. It will be awesome.

Posted by: brian ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 09:55AM

Being right is more important than being Christ-like to most Mormons, although they would not admit it.

Posted by: davesnothere ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 09:58AM

"a place for people like you"

Inhabited by a better class of people!

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 10:07AM

with sending hate mail to anyone?

Posted by: paulroy ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 04:33PM

To quote Billy Joel I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the angels, the sinners have more fun..nice post Steve

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 08:33PM

I love your snappy comeback. :-D

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.