Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jameswilmons ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 05:06PM

As a TBM I read both of SWK's books. As a sinner in TSCC I was forced to read 'Miracle of Forgiveness' twice. SWK was so sex obsessed I would be shocked if he didn't have some sort of mental disorder regarding sexual issues.

Surely, as the 'prophet of God' there would be more important issue to focus on than if teenagers were masturbating or necking. From all I've ever read, if there's one theme you're inclined to talk about most of all, you are in some way infatuated with that thing. Perhaps 'Sister Kimball' did put out enough so SWK was extremely repressed and turned that energy on the church membership.

Anyone else ever thought about this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 05:34PM

SWK's problem was that he was a MORMON.

He was a no-nonsense businessman who got made an apostle. He then got assigned to work with people who had "problems" with "sexual sins" including gays. Spending time with these "sinners" while being a Mormon GA is bound to skew your thinking into a weird dimension.

The problem wasn't something wrong with SWK. It was something wrong with Mormonism.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 05:49PM

to the point of obsession and sickness. Mormons are mostly still clueless about sexuality.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 06:57PM

I'm asexual, & the thought of SWK possibly being asexual himself makes me violently ill & violently angry. What this fuckhead taught ruined my life. I want absolutely nothing in common with him.

Date: March 24, 2012 05:56PM

That's a good point. Most of his quotes talk about 'perversion' and 'reprehensible' acts.

He must've dealt with serious personal disfunction to feel the way about sexuality.

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 06:21PM

SWK believed that masturbation leads to homosexuality.

Where would he (as a straight male) even get such an unusual idea?

It actually may have been through personal experience.

As a boy he may have "experimented" with the "Big M" (as virtually all young people do at some time) and in the middle of one of his imaginations, instead of seeing the expected woman -- he may have seen a naked man instead!

Conclusion: Masturbation leads to Homosexuality!

Thus, fear of being potentially gay resulted in excessive preoccupations about the dangers of masturbation.

Could be.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 06:24PM

The other theory would be that he had "same-sex attraction" and therefore was constantly fighting his own inner desires. In a case like that, sex would seem like the enemy.

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 06:34PM

I also think that probably 100% of the gay men and women he interviewed confessed to masturbating, which may have influenced him to connect the dots in a totally bonkers way and concluded one led to the other. Even if he was aware of straight men and women masturbating he won't have factored that in because it didn't fit with conclusion he'd started with.

When I was TBM he was a major part of my testimony, he was profit when I converted in 1976, but I now firmly believe his teachings and books have caused more damage than can be estimated (not just to me but throughout the church). I almost shudder when I hear his name.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 07:09PM

I am related to SWK by marriage. I know of one sex-related story in his teen years, when he was led to believe that a certain girl was "easy." It was a joke and he fell for it with an entertaining outcome...

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 07:10PM

I remember he and Camilla were separated for extensive periods of time and it was commonly understood that they didn't get along.

Just a piece of the puzzle.

By way of observation, what do you think would be a normal person's reaction upon hearing that BYU students were enjoying oral sex while answering TR interviews that they were not having sexual relations?

His outrage may have been more from having been tricked by them--but then he would have emphasized obedience to the spirit of the law. Instead he focused on the act itself being "unnatural."

Who thinks oral sex is unnatural? Someone who has never experienced the desire himself. That could be a person with low sex drive and a severely curtailed curiosity about sexual behavior.

This fits with him staying on the reservation for months at a time while wife and family were in Salt Lake. If I recall, Camilla seldom (if ever) visited the reservation. Maybe no bidet?

Thinking masturbation causes homosexuality could also be attributed to extreme suppression due to Mormon brainwashing.

Anagrammy

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 07:14PM

SWK was gay. It is just that simple.

I also think there was something in his crappy book about masturbation leading to homosexuality and beastiality.

I do feel sorry for the animals that lived on his family farm when he was growing up.

I think he had some very twisted things going on in his head, and the world is better place with him dead.

Date: March 24, 2012 07:23PM

I remember reading in his books that he would 'cure' gay people by praying with them frequently.

Perhaps he was looking for a 'cure' for himself.

Spencer W. Homo

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.