Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 09:10PM

I've seen book recommendations many times on here but never paid attention. Now I need some recommendations for books that debunk religion and make the case for no god or jesus. And where would I find these types of books in Barnes & Noble, for instance...what section? TIA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 09:13PM

"The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins

"Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer

Most of my textbooks from my undergrad...lol

You can find many in the philosophy section right next to religion in B&N...just look for Dawkins or Hitchens

I bought the electronic version of Krakauer's book online from Amazon

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2012 09:17PM by Lost Mystic.

Date: March 24, 2012 09:23PM

That's a great list! thanks LM. Enjoy your posts so much.

Posted by: spoontrex ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 09:28PM

Here's a great one: "God is Not Great: How Religion Poison's Everything" by Christopher Hitchens. Very intelligent individual, the only complaint I have is that he treats everything (other than his personal experiences) as common knowledge, and I'd love references to what he's talking about. I spend a good part of my reading looking stuff up to verify (lest I once again become a sheep).

Here's a Barnes & Noble link:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/god-is-not-great-christopher-hitchens/1102934966

I'd also recommend looking up some of his videos on youtube. The book tends to cover a lot of that stuff into greater detail, but you can watch and see if you like what you hear. (When I discovered him I ended up having him playing in the background for like two days at work; I may or may not have been less productive than usual.)

Date: March 25, 2012 03:55PM

I just bought "God is not Great". It's the only one I could find at our local B&N in the southern part of Salt Lake County. And, i kind of got the stink eye from the cashier...hehe.

It looks like it's going to be a great read!

Posted by: spoontrex ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 04:20PM

I've been reading it while donating plasma. It's a weird feeling having that cover available while others around me are reading their scriptures or Mormon literature.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 04:34PM

Hehehe... "stink eye" I just love that expression! :D

I haven't read that one yet but I've read a lot of other stuff by Hitchens and always enjoyed his words.

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 04:54PM

http://www.amazon.com/Why-God-Wont-Go-Away/dp/0345440331

Bob McCue recommended Why God Won't Go Away. I bought it but haven't read it yet although if Bob recommends it there isn't much I could add anyway!

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 04:56PM

Posted by: Marcionite ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 05:01PM

One of the best books I've read lately regarding whether Jesus actually lived on the earth was - JESUS:NEITHER GOD NOR MAN by Earl Doherty. Loved it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.