Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ktay ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 07:30AM

So creepy. Tens of thousands of women watched it? Ick.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 07:40AM

I hate that word "endure." "Endure to the end"--I don't want to endure life, I want to enjoy it!

Susan

Posted by: little joe ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 02:29PM

Excellent response to the madness of cultic religions like the morons.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 08:18AM

TSM "told the female audience how living their lives in harmony with this year’s theme, "Arise and Shine Forth," would help them live rich, meaningful lives."

The only way to have a rich, meaningful life is to choose your own path as an individual. Life may turn out bad, but at least you know you did your best to live, and enjoy it, and it was YOURS. When anyone tells you to follow their one-size-fits-all directions, there is a problem.

And telling them to "believe, obey and endure" is more propaganda. TSCC is ALL about obedience - so he tells these children to obey so they will become TBM full-tithe payers, who will raise their children to be the same. TSM tells them to beLIEve the fairy tale they are constantly being sold by indoctrination.

It's particularly disgusting that he ties in the normal challenges of being a teenager with the fairy tale battle between Satan, and the Lard. He instills fear that if they do not follow TSCC's specific rules they will not be with their family or gawd in an imaginary afterlife. This is manipulation, and teaches them to rely on TSCC's one-size-fits-all directions for problem solving, and making choices in life, instead of actually using their own reason, and logic. There is no one magic formula for happiness.

The biggest lie of all:

"Wonderful, glorious things are in store for you if you will only believe, obey and endure."

Before he mentioned celebrities portraying "sin" without consequences. This is black and white, all or nothing thinking. TSCC is not all wonderful, and promising them happiness if they will "believe, obey, and endure" is disgusting brainwashing. This is what gets members into the pattern of blaming themselves when things go wrong in life, instead of realizing that bad things happen to everyone. Life is often pain, and random pain too. We can make good choices, and bad things will still happen through no fault of our own. He is teaching them to pray more, obey more, believe more, because they will think they have done something wrong, and that they are not good enough. They will try to solve life's problems with obedience to a useless superstitious formula, instead of using actual solutions.

Most people on this board understand how TSCC's obedient plan for happiness can tear families apart, divide communities, set up false friendships, etc. Loyalty to a church, and its nonsensical rules alienates outsiders as well as anyone who discovers the truth about the fraud, and leaves. Obedience to a lie is more important than truth, and integrity.

These girls should have a meeting on how JS made it up, who was Helen Mar Kimball, and other girls her age that JS coerced into "marrying", and how to live your own authentic life, and not live for others or for a twisted dogma.

Yes, girls, don't even question why a bunch of old, white guys know exactly how you should live your life in detail - including the length of your skirts, your sleeves, earrings, choice of footwear, what is "uplifting", when you should marry, whom you should marry, when you should have children, what you say, drink, and eat, etc., etc. Your male gawd only sends geezers just like him to tell you what to do. Gee, cannot imagine how anyone would mistake this for a cult, especially when obedience to their rules will always separate you from 10% or more of your income, your time, your individual self, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 08:28AM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 10:37AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 11:52AM

atheist&happy:-) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only way to have a rich, meaningful life is to choose your own path as an individual. Life may turn out bad, but at least you know you did your best to live, and enjoy it, and it was YOURS. When anyone tells you to follow their one-size-fits-all directions, there is a problem.

I've found that the things that have led over time to the greatest happiness for me have been when I've confronted a tricky issue, come to a decision, and vigorously pursued that path. I may have made a good decision or an imperfect decision, but the fact that I made my own decision has led to greater self-respect.

My dad taught me that about decision-making. He said that you have to have a certain amount of fearlessness about it. He was a manager and his feeling was that management was all about making decisions, for better or for worse. Make the decision and own it. You'll make many good ones and some bad ones. But over time, you will succeed.

We are the managers of our own lives. Our lives are all about making decisions. If one is excessively crippled by imaginary authority, how can one make effective decisions? How can we gain self respect if we are constantly told what to do and how to do it?

I cringe inwardly whenever women are told to "obey." That alone would be a big, red flag to me that something is wrong. The ability to decide has been effective stripped from those that listen to this counsel.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 12:01PM

...Me, too! I'm getting sick of the women are to obey men crap. It seemed like it was getting better for awhile but now it's getting worse.

Thank you MorMons and the Religious Reich!

I wonder what would happen if one, just one, girl spoke up and said something like, "Kindly get your foot off my neck, you're messing up my hair."

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 11:38AM

I only saw the recap on the news and I had the same reaction.

The women who spoke talked like they were Stepford wives.

Monson's talk seemed to come across like the church owned these young women. It was creepy!

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 12:15PM

COG DIS!

And I agree with Gemini about the Stepford wives. Elaine Dalton is the worst. With her morbid obsession about purity and chastity, she morphed into a Stepford wife years ago.

In short, Morg leaders continue to remain staunchly out of touch with the youth.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 12:16PM

Believe- what we tell you to believe, no matter how it doesn't work for you.

Obey-Us No matter what the demands and deprivations are that you will pay for the rest of your life.

Endure- Because,if you believe and obey, you're going to have to endure a pretty miserable life. You're going to have to endure PH holders meddling in your life, gossip,exhaustion, guilt, shame, and fear. Just to name a few.

Anyone who signs up for this isn't thinking very clearly. To think this guy has your best interests at heart is so sad. For parents who think it's a great place to teach your girls values, it isn't. If they really had the best interests of these girls in mind the title of this talk would have been more like. Education, independence, and freedom of choice. Believe, obey, and endure, sounds more like a directive a prison guard would give.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 12:25PM

Posted by: flanders ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 12:39PM

"believe"(only what we tell you to)

"obey"(us or else...)

"endure"(our insipid, vacuous, mysogynistic, 1950's inspired, and senility driven edicts.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 02:14PM by flanders.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 03:11PM

all of the above.

Proving once again that Mormonism is a "One Trick Pony"

similar / associated with the "War on Women" that the Rs are now engaged in.

Sad that so few see/understand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 03:12PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 03:19PM

guynoirprivateeye Wrote, in part:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Sad that so few see/understand.
=======================================
...or care.

Posted by: goldarn ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 03:51PM

They don't know so many things—recently, they failed to have any knowledge, prophetic or otherwise, of how the priesthood ban was taught in the church for more than a century. No idea at all.

But…

They know how women should dress, what jewelry they should wear, how they should behave, etc. and etc. They can't use their connections to God to find out anything important, but they can use it to get fashion advice.

If there's a bunch of more useless people, I don't know who it is.

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 06:27PM

This is a good point that I have never thought about before. The leaders are focusing more on trivia -- for example, personal grooming, of all things! -- while refusing to articulate doctrine, resolve issues of church history, and address other matters that are appropriate to a leadership role.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 03:57PM

It's like they know they are making your life miserable so they are saying buck up and take the pain. Endure it my little slaves.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 03:57PM

Emotional and financial abuse? The mind-crushing boredom of listening to a bunch of dusty old sleazebags trying to distract you from figuring out that they're stealing your money by droning on into infinity about things that probably didn't happen 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 years ago, or an imaginary boogey man hiding in your cleavage?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 04:00PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 04:02PM

Why not:

"Research, Analyze, Study...and ONLY THEN...Believe, Obey, and Endure"?

Posted by: foxystoner ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 04:31PM

Not one of those--believe, obey, or endure--sounds the least bit exciting or inspiring. These girls don't get a chance to be young and carefree.

Posted by: brook ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 04:39PM

Funny, the part where girls are told to find a mentor to teach them things like homemaking, art, music, etc... But nothing about going to college, becoming a leader, an engineer, a scientist... Parents should be irate that their daughters Are being brainwashed to live a small life.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 06:59PM

Check out the comments - not at all favorable to the "profit's" teachings. The days when no one talked back to "God's Annointed" are over - although the Mormon defenders are out too. You have to wonder how many of the ones not commenting agree with the ones who think it's hogwash ... and are just too afraid to say so.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 07:40PM

Just noticed that the article said these thousands of young women were dressed in bright tops and skirts...so were they told what they had to wear in order to attend this meeting?? Unbelievable.

Date: March 25, 2012 07:48PM

that's why Tommy gets the Big Bucks, rides around in an armored limo; so he can 'safely' say these things!

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 09:01PM

"I wish every young woman assembled here tonight would know and understand that your beauty — your ‘shine’ — does not lie in makeup, gooey cream or the latest clothing or hairstyles," Dalton told the girls.

<So far so good>

"It lies in your personal purity."

<Really? Your personal purity? Not, say, your heart or mind, but your body? Really? Way to switch that around, Dalton. Oh, right. believe, obey, and endure.>

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 10:12PM

i.e. keep your legs together, your hands on the bible and your mind on Disney and things like an education, a character, a career all become optional.

Date: March 25, 2012 10:29PM

"purity": notice the use of highly- emotionally charged terms.

nothing observable or measureable here, just Emotional

shows the level of ca-ca they have as their First assault.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 03:20AM

believe in what? believe in churchCo, or keep believing in jesus and God. in the morg's eyes, not believing in the morg means you don't believe in anything and worship satan.

endure, sounds like life has to be a drag. so many morg women complain and have a bad attitude about life, but their enduring. Seems like dumb philosophy to me, just enjoy life!

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 03:46AM

why the church doesn't appeal to the young. Believe, obey and endure -- how depressing! I read the comments after the article and most were not the positive, gushing, wasn't that talk inspiring kind.

I can only hope that with such clueless men at the helm, the number of active, tithe paying members with continue to decline.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 05:14AM

Almost 50% of these young women will not be able to find a husband in the church. There just aren't enough males.

That's a lot of women who, if they BELIEVE and OBEY the prophet, can look forward to ENDURING decades as a single adult.

Mormonism: the slow moving human tragedy.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 26, 2012 07:20AM

70% of the active single adults (over 18's) are female.
This is a true statistic from someone in the Church who would know.

Good luck ladies.

You will either have to endure a fight for the few eligible Mormon bachelors, a life of spinsterhood, an unrighteous marriage to a non Mormon or the prospect of being part of an eternal hareem.

Obey that!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.