Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rany-Bott ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 05:02PM

The reason women can't hold the priesthood today is because they are not prepared for it. The car key analogy used to explain the negro ban also works for the woman ban. Women asking to have the priesthood is like a wife asking her husband for keys to his new car. No man in his right mind would allow his wife to drive his car, unless he enjoys paying expensive mechanic bills. That's why women can't have the priesthood.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 05:08PM

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 07:48PM

Ah hahahahah! Awesome!

I concur!

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 05:19PM

Ugh! This attitude still exists?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 05:19PM by suckafoo.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 05:22PM

All hail the might penishood.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 05:28PM

If my husband thought like that i'd take those carkeys anyway and key his car.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 05:28PM

back to the dinosaur age for YOU, friend.

what we know FOR SURE:

women could ADD to the mix of talents & perspectives that is SORELY LACKING in ChurchCo;

why can't they figure / understand these things, are they so liking 'putting out fires'?

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 05:37PM

Good thing that Randy Bott is able to come up with such a intelligent metaphor. He has the laymans touch to explain why it is that men are superior in talent and ability at driving cars.

Now I can so clearly see that only MEN should be allowed to hold the priesthood by the endowmwnt bestowed upon them by the supreme being. It all makes so much sense!!!!

Date: March 25, 2012 06:04PM

Folklore

all of it; Thanks, brother Bott.

:-)

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 07:13PM

So one minut we are more spiritual the next we are like todlers that will brake the spirit if we have it? WTF?

Date: March 25, 2012 07:15PM

who is Bott the Front Man for???

or, was he smart enough to come up with this stuff himself?

I D K

Posted by: hereandnow ( )
Date: March 25, 2012 08:11PM

Back in the 70's I was a fairly new convert who had recently moved to Zion after joining the church in the mission field. I was at one of the endless meetings I attended back then, and this very highly regarded young men's stake leader told a group of us that men were given the priesthood to help raise themselves to the level of spirituality that women already possess naturally. I later learned his view was not too popular among other priesthood holders. duh.

Posted by: David ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 07:46PM

As an LDS male who has held the Priesthood for 48 years, I am afraid that Randy Bott doesn't really know what he is talking about. His analogy about car keys doesn't apply with women and the priesthood any better than it does to the blacks. The simple truth is, God set it up that way and he didn't give us all of his reasons.

There are numerous Prophets that have explained that a man and a woman in a marriage, while total equal, have different responsibilities.

The Priesthood is to the authority to provide organization and leadership through SERVICE to the members of his family and the Church. It is not authority in the traditional sense of the world, where one has the power to dictate the activities of others, even to the point of life and death. The Doctrine and Covenants, 121:34-45, explicitly states that when a man attempts to command, coerce or compel another, and this would include his wife and children, his authority and power are of no effect.

34 Behold, there are many called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen?

35 Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men, that they do not learn this one lesson—

36 That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness.

37 That they may be conferred upon us, it is true; but when we undertake to cover our sins, or to gratify our pride, our vain ambition, or to exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, Amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man.

38 Behold, ere he is aware, he is left unto himself, to kick against the pricks, to persecute the saints, and to fight against God.

39 We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion.

40 Hence many are called, but few are chosen.

41 No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;

42 By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile—

43 Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy;

44 That he may know that thy faithfulness is stronger than the cords of death.

45 Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven.

In other-words, exercising the authority of the priesthood, is more like herding cats than ruling an empire. And as it states in verse 39, most men are prone to do it wrong anyway. Makes me wonder why God trusted the Priesthood to men at all?

Women get to have the thrill of bearing, raising and teaching innocent children of the love of their Heavenly Father. They naturally have an affection and closeness with their children that few men are ever be able to develop.

Let's see, herding cats or loving children? I think that men may have drawn the shorter straw.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 07:54PM

Date: April 23, 2012 08:03PM

Wait. Are you for realz? Do tell.

Posted by: Rena ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 08:09PM

David Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are numerous Prophets that have explained
> that a man and a woman in a marriage, while total
> equal, have different responsibilities.

Because men and women are Separate but Equal, amiright?

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 08:20PM

>
> Because men and women are Separate but Equal,
> amiright?

As usual, Mormonism is at least two generations behind the power curve. "Separate but equal" was the extremely erudite and successful clarion call of segregationists in the 1950s.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 08:23PM

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 08:36PM

As Deconstructor once pointed out, the equivalence to motherhood is fatherhood, not priesthood.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 08:23PM

Can a person become a prophet without the priesthood? If not, can you please explain Deborah for me?

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 08:53PM

If you have a wife, does she get to drive the new car?

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 10:47PM

Does he get to drive HER new car?

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 09:52PM

I understand that you think this is just the way things are. "The simple truth is, God set it up that way and he didn't give us all of his reasons." However, you must know that prior to 1978, blacks were not allowed to have the priesthood either. I'm sure there were plenty of people like you who patiently explained that this is just the way God set it up. But then what happened? The prophet received a revelation that allowed blacks to have the priesthood. Is there any reason why the same thing cannot happen with women? What if President Monson received a revelation tomorrow allowing women to hold the priesthood? Would you complain that it is unfair, because women already have the opportunity to bear, raise, and teach children?

David Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Women get to have the thrill of bearing, raising
> and teaching innocent children of the love of
> their Heavenly Father. They naturally have an
> affection and closeness with their children that
> few men are ever be able to develop.
>
> Let's see, herding cats or loving children? I
> think that men may have drawn the shorter straw.

I really feel sorry for your children, if you honestly believe you can't love them the way their mother does because you have the priesthood. Please, just stop herding the cats and go spend time with your children instead.

Date: April 23, 2012 09:59PM

what sexismyreligion said.....

Posted by: Mindlight ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 07:57PM

I became a Universal Life Minister in the 60's, before I joined the church. I asked the Bishop last month if he had any problem with me performing civil ceremonies. I do believe I saw his eyes roll back. He told me he thought it would be confusing. I am a female.

now waiting to be ex-communicated

Posted by: Thyme Lee ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 08:32PM

Here are a few examples as to why I feel the LDS church does not put too much emphasis on reading the Bible- because the BofM / Pfo GP conflicts with it on many subjects. Including this topic. I think that's why they also insist on the King James version, because it's hard to read and comprehend.

The Aaronic Priesthood was reserved only for Aaron and his descendants (Numbers 3:6-12). Even Jesus did not hold this priesthood because He was of the tribe of Judah (Hebrew 7:14), and not the tribe of Levi as Aaron was (Numbers 3:6).

The Bible mentions a priest named Melchizedek, not a Melchizedek priesthood (Genesis 14:18). Jesus is a priest forever after "the order of Melchizedeck" (Hebrew 5:6). Nowhere does the Bible teach that this priesthood is transferable. In fact, it teaches it is not transferable (Hebrews 7:24).

Posted by: rosemary ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 10:17PM

If you're serious, why would you come to this forum to spread your drivel? Do you think we have not ALL spent years of our lives (if not most of our lives) listening to your exact same arguments? Are you thinking that we just need to have it explained to us ONE MORE TIME and then we will see the magnificent light that is the priesthood of the restored gospel of the latter days?

Let me make this as clear as possible: WE UNDERSTAND THE OFFICIAL ARGUMENTS FOR EXCLUDING WOMEN FROM THE PRIESTHOOD AND WE FUNDAMENTALLY DISAGREE.

That's called being individuals (something a good, faithful Mormon wouldn't understand).

Posted by: Mindlight ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 10:26PM

Amen

Date: April 23, 2012 10:32PM

and ,even in the name of our lard, Joseph smith, amen.

ambivalentmo does an evil little jig while laughing crazily***

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.