Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 04:31AM

Ronas asked for references to the 2 to 1 figure I mentioned in my earlier thread. Unfortunately the thread closed before I could respond (I sleep while you folks post).

Firstly, in a recent Pew study they found that females make up 60% of the active membership of the LDS church. This number comes from an independent research group so it won't have any LDS bias.

It is well known that inactivity rates in the church are highest among "prospective elders". That means that the activity rate among males in the single adult ranks is at the very least 60% and almost certainly closer to 70%. At 67% the ratio is 2 to 1. This sounded very realistic to me so that is what I said.

But I was also prompted to say it because in an earlier post “Stumbling” stated that 70% of active single adults (over 18) are female. They said this was “a true statistic from someone in the Church who would know”. If this figure is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, women outnumber men in the single adult ranks by a staggering 2.3 to 1.

My original number wasn’t plucked out of the air to make the church look bad. It is a truth that the church has done an amazing job of hiding from the people it hurts the most! It is a very real and tragic figure, which is so well hidden that even exmormons, who are highly critical of the church, find hard to believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 04:32AM by Simon in Oz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 04:49AM

I never saw the first thread, but I dated in my mid-thirties until my late-thirties as a TBMish guy.

So many women I dated told me that it was so hard to find "worthy"(offensive now, but not then) guys to date. I had easy pickings. In about a year I dated 50 women. It was that easy being a recommend holding, go to church every week, type of guy. And I was a picky dater. I was a pretty sharp looking guy, and preferred to date the same. I could have dated 100 if I wasn't as choosy.

I feel bad for women who think that they have to date a "worthy" mormon guy who will take them to the temple and be sealed to them, or they'll just be a helper in heaven.

Here's another piece of trivia for you. The State of Utah advises sexoffenders that are in halfway houses to go to LDS Singles dances in order to have a social life. It is a requirement for getting out of the halfway house to have a plan for a social life, and going to the singles dances is the easy way to fulfill the requirement.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 11:49AM

THAT IS NOT TRIVIA! "DNA," please start a thread on this topic!

Date: March 28, 2012 01:24AM

WiserWomanNow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> THAT IS NOT TRIVIA! "DNA," please start a thread
> on this topic!

Did it.

Posted by: E2 ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 04:54AM

At times, I wish I were a great liar.

Posted by: E2 ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 04:55AM

"Here's another piece of trivia for you. The State of Utah advises sexoffenders that are in halfway houses to go to LDS Singles dances in order to have a social life. It is a requirement for getting out of the halfway house to have a plan for a social life, and going to the singles dances is the easy way to fulfill the requirement."

Or maybe not. Eek!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 05:35AM

The Washington Post ran an article less than a year ago about a local singles ward. In the associated photo, women appeared to far outnumber the men. I don't know if that reflects the makeup of that particular ward.

Date: March 27, 2012 07:35AM

Simon,

In a talk recently the following statistic was quoted by someone who would know the data.

Of the active single adults in the Church, 70% are female.

Date: March 27, 2012 08:32AM

Stumbling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Simon,
>
> In a talk recently the following statistic was
> quoted by someone who would know the data.
>
> Of the active single adults in the Church, 70% are
> female.

That is terrible news for active single adult women. Their odds of marrying a guy in the temple (i.e. doing what they were taught to hope and aim for) are now less than 50%. Most active Mormon women will either be single or married to a non-member.

We are not talking about 50% not getting to the temple because they deliberately marry outside the church or don't qualify for a temple recommend. This is ACTIVE women who through no fault of their own will not be able to find a marriage partner.

Maybe I'm getting carried away but I think this is an enormous tragedy. Hundreds of thousands of Mormon women will miss out on marriage and raising children because of the Mormon delusion. The problem won't be properly addressed because those in control are all males and the RS leaders are powerless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 08:41AM by Simon in Oz.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 10:40AM

No, I think it's terrific news that hundreds of thousands of mormon women will escape the oppression and tyranny that is mormon marriage. They won't have to pop out baby after baby after baby, long after their budgets and their bodies give out. Sure they'll be lonely, but they also believe they'll be assigned a nice priesthood holder in the afterlife, so they'll get to enjoy a nice long singlehood.

Granted, most of them will be miserable because they've been taught to value themselves only as potential wives and mothers, but the few who will learn to value themselves on their own will have a lot more freedom than the married with children women.

Date: March 27, 2012 01:51PM

Yes Simon, these women are facing:
A. Marry a non member (heaven forbid)
B. A life as a Spinster
C. An eternity as part of someone's polygamous harem.

I think it also shows that the 'feelings' based decision making of the female gender has more longevity in the Church than the 'fact' based decision making of males.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 11:37AM

A certain percentage of these women aren't being hurt by lack of "worthy" priesthood holders because they'd prefer to have a same-sex relationship. The company line expectations are just as tragic for them, if not worse, but at least the ones who are genuinely seeking a "worthy" man have a slightly better chance.

BTW for years I worked with a woman around 35 who faithfully attended the adult singles dances here in Boise and she said there were 3 or 4 women for every man.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 11:51AM

My original response got flagged as spam - so I'll try again (hopefully the pre-ramble will be sufficient to get posted):

Thanks for the information.

Posted by: anonaholic ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 01:31PM

"women outnumber men in the single adult ranks by a staggering 2.3 to 1"

Its just a matter of time before they bring back poligamy.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 01:53PM

To make matters worse, a lot of those men aren't exactly marriage material.
I made the mistake of going to a singles dance once when I was 26. It was horrible. The guys stood in the corner in a little huddle. The women were dancing with each other.

When I went out to my car to leave 2 guys (about age35) approached me and asked me if I wanted to go out to dinner. There is no nice way to put this, they were weird. Certainly not someone I would ever consider dating. They were socially backward, and appeared to be mentally handicapped. I politely told them no, thanked them for the invite, and then left.
What happened next, I will never forget. They followed me home! This was no small thing. I lived 40 miles away. They pulled into my driveway right behind me. This scared the crap out of me. I stayed in my car and honked my horn until my neighbor came out and asked me what was wrong. I told him these guys followed me home, and told him to call the police. The mo's begged him not to call the police, and said they followed me home because I was cute and nice. He told them to get lost and not come back, or he would shoot them. They left. That was the last singles event I ever went to.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 12:22AM

Glad you had a neighbor who was armed and brave enough to rescue you. I quit going to dances after my freshman year at BYU. It was a total meat market and the guys weren't even subtle about it. They'd walk past you standing there talking to your friends and they'd look you up and down, head to toe. If they liked you, they'd approach you with this smarmy look on their faces. If they didn't, they'd walk on. It was like being an animal at market. I went to a few ward dances and private parties but the big, multi-stake parties and BYU dances - no way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 12:22AM by CA girl.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 02:35PM

in the SF Bay Area 25+ years ago, a number of men there told me that "They let me out on Fridays to attend this dance"!!!

I did meet my hubby at one of those dances, but there are days when I wonder about him too. (mostly kidding, I think)

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 02:41PM

this is great news because it shows another way that TSCC membership is stagnating (shrinking?)

most 'convert' baptisms are either 9 year old children of record or people that will stop participating within 2 months

add to that the growing NOM and exmormon movements...

the only thing TSCC has left is their breeding program - and if significant numbers of LDS women aren't going to be making mormons then...

yes, TSCC has a lot of money - but their future isn't very bright

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 02:42PM by grubbygert.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 02:43PM

I used to attend the singles dances. I did enjoy the dancing and socializing that went on. I did notice that women far outnumbered the men. At several dances the women were 3-4 deep around the dance floor. I didn't go to look for marriage parners,,just to dance and have a good time. Don't know how many times I was asked if I had a temple reccomend. When I told them I was not a mormon,,some would walk away. I tried to date some women I met there. However after a few dates ,,they wanted to get serious,,not me. Enjoy my single life and privicy to much.

Posted by: zimmy ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 02:44PM

almost all of the single lds men i know do not attend these dances. they tell me the dances are not a good place to meet women they would like to marry.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 10:32PM

What I think we should be thinking about here is why more women are not leaving this organization.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 11:05PM

Good point snowball. If women could overcome the brainwashing they would realize that they do have choices -- they actually have control over their lives. The cojcolds is very scared of this happening.

Posted by: AltaRica ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 12:14AM

Hooray for me! By no longer attending singles wards, I'm contributing to the imbalance of women and men in TSCC.

Joking aside, I do feel bad for a lot of YSA-aged women. I have a good friend who is physically attractive and successful in her career. However, the older she gets and the longer she holds on to unrealistic expectations, her chances of finding an equally attractive tbm guy taller than her 6' height will keep getting slimmer. If she could date outside the mo-box she could probably find all sorts of great men.

Date: March 28, 2012 12:59AM

If you take the percentage of America that is Mormon, then find out how many of those Mormons are men, then see how many of that number are TBM's who are Temple material, then see how many of those are somewhat attractive and employed... and Mormon women are all trying to get a husband out of that miniscule number of guys out of the whole population.

Mormon women are screwed by comparison to their neighbors who aren't LDS and have a much larger number of options to try to pick from.

Get outside of the typical marrying age, and it's even more difficult.

Add in any other complicating factors such as a women making $150,000-per-year, such as the one I know, and it becomes almost impossible to find someone who is in your socioeconomic level who also meets all the other criteria.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.