Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 01:47PM

He has really blossomed in the last four years, and not dragging him to church has helped.
His Girlfriend has a TBM dad but she's not going to church. HER FRIEND nominated the two of them for homecoming royalty.
I doubt they'd even be in the lineup, the school has over 1200 kids, but it does mean he'll be going to the dance!

So I took him to Pennys and showed him what I'd NEVER insist he'd wear. Showed him what would look good in a few years if he wanted to dress up.

Found the perfect shirt for him on the clearance rack. (Woo Woo)

Then realized he no longer has dress or 'sunday shoes'.

So as I'm stressing on how to dress him in basic black like Johnny Cash, a look that works well for the young men in my family, he tells me the theme of homecoming is 'Avatar", as in the movie!

So do I give him a loin cloth and paint his body blue??? Or let it turn blue because the dance is in October when it starts getting cold here? Or do I put him in army/marine dress wear??? LOL!

What do the kids wear to homecoming? I'm sure his date is not going to dress like the people of Avatar, but in a semi formal.
It's so funny, he is now 16, going on an official date with a girl whose family (father at least) is Mormon!! All the kids in the school and he ends up with someone who is from a part member home???? :D!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: paintinginthwin ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 02:52PM

guess you did something right huh? His popularity to hook up with someone socially & pair off, gpa to be able to participate, really shows he is one of those who, when he finds his college major or fascination will be another one of the great minds in America. Tinkering with machines or getting a phd- I guess all the inventors if a school psychologist pinned them down they'd get a label. Look at Einstein. Imagine Edison's bedroom -think all the projects cluttering every surface- imagine his house or work room as an adult! Getting digital, maybe there is less to look at or it very tiny now but I recall a genius type, also very social, who left college early to join a computer *not sales- computer creator generator* start up that was to become a large corporation. Technology changes- your kid is going the distance socially & with gpa & who knows who or where he will be. I can really see positive things in this teen.

Posted by: Bridget ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 04:02PM

I have a 16 yr old Aspie myself. She's a terrific person, very bright, lots of potential. Doesn't care for socializing much, but still does so with a select group of very bright friends who are quite similar to her (aka bookworms, gifted, etc.)

I wish you and your son the very best!

Posted by: foxystoner ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 09:26PM

congrats! that is a huge social step for him...kudos on letting him be himself.

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 12:15AM

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 02:13PM

Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 02:09PM

That is really cool, I struggle with Asperger's Syndrom, and I was nominated for prom king my senior year.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 02:12PM

I wish I'd had a parent like you when I was going through school -- but they really didn't know about Asperger's then.

If it's a dress theme I'd go with the jungle camies -- probably considerably cheaper. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.