Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 07:57PM

The religions that proselytize look insecure. They need more people to prove themselves right.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 07:59PM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 08:04PM

I think it would help the mormons image if they stopped it.
They must like the numbers, or they wouldn't keep doing it.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 08:07PM

Proselytizing one's religion is disrespectful.

I don't see it as their insecurity, I see it as their arrogance.

Just my MOO!

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 08:14PM

Additionally, insecurity in one's beliefs may be masked by arrogance, as in the case of Mormons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 08:14PM by WiserWomanNow.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 08:14PM

One can certainly see this in the evangelists of the Alcoholics Anonymous faith. They are embedded in the social, medical and judicial systems to the point that people are incarcerated, parental rights are terminated, and organs are withheld for failure to participate and convert to the AA faith.

This is truly sad because of the unearned admiration and undeserved credibility that is bestowed on them based on their outrageous claims. In reality, their faith has a 95% failure rate according to their OWN NUMBERS, and the word 'rehab' is routinely used as a punchline by late night comedians.

One must wonder how long until society realizes how ineffective this $20 billion dollar a year industry is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 08:18PM by deco.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 09:11PM

I have noticed the insecurity Mormons seem to have, but I see that as more in the testimony bearing. They bear testimony to each other and to anyone that brings up a contrary point or happens to have a set of ears; bear the testimony and then get persecuted. The need to divide from nonbelievers plays a role. I understand that like wants to be with like, but they take it to a whole other level...and then it's time to convert...everyone...so that's where the proselytizing comes in, a numbers game, so I see your point.

Mormon self-righteous arrogance...how much of that is school yard bully mentality, but they most definitely feel superior. Now that they've decided they're Christian, they're the *only* "real" Christians with the *priesthood*...I'm beginning to hate that word as much as "anti." :) Keeping families split at weddings and dead dunking are acts of arrogance. But I also think of the cliques and the mean girls back in junior high...divide, conquer, make you scramble to be part of the "in crowd"...insecurity.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.