Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 09:24PM

For all you folks who attend LDS services, or mingle with those who do --

Has there been any fallout from the "Official Proclamation" the other week that Mormons won't become gods and won't get their own planet?

I'm just wondering how this is all going to go down. It's pretty ballsey of LDS, Inc. to just pull the rug out from under one of the most distinctive, central theological elements of Mormonism.

(See http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/mormonism-101#C13 )
RG

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 10:34PM

My wife is oblivious. All mormon topics are currently off limits.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 10:38PM

She's just a wimmenfolk. And since she didn't see fit to marry a good priesthood holder all she's got to look forward to is being reassigned to someone and popping out spirit babies for him.

Oh well, try to think of her fondly while enjoying the Telestial Kingdom, okay?

:)

Date: March 27, 2012 11:18PM

She promises to visit me. I told her I still know the handshakes so I can get in, and my crazy TBM family will re babtize me if I resign and we get a second chance in spirit prison, so I am covered 9 ways from Tuesday.

I am so glad to not carry that anymore!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 08:34AM

If you have been married in the Temple you are automatically guaranteed a place in the CK (it explicitly says so in D&C 132) no matter what sins you subsequently commit. Except if you shed innocent blood.

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 10:35PM

Journal of Discourses Volume 6 page 275 --Brigham Young

""After men have got their exaltations and their crowns -- have become Gods, even the sons of God -- are made Kings of kings and Lords of lords, they have the power then of propagating their species in spirit; and that is the first of their operations with regard to organizing a world. **Power is then given to them to organize the elements, and then commence the organization of tabernacles**. How can they do it? Have they to go to that earth? Yes, an Adam will have to go there, and he cannot do without Eve; he must have Eve to commence the work of generation, and they will go into the garden, and continue to eat and drink of the fruits of the corporeal world, until this grosser matter is diffused sufficiently through their celestial bodies to enable them, according to the established laws, to produce mortal tabernacles for their spiritual children.""

Yep -- we are going to be Gods and create our own planets !!!
THE ADAM-GOD DOCTRINE AT ITS VERY BEST !!!

JB

Posted by: elaine ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 10:35PM

Wow. That's funny (peculiar, not ha-ha). When I was active in the church, that (now apparently non)doctrine got taught all the time. All. The. Time.

Interesting how some people and organizations think they can change history just by saying it never happened, or that it was a misunderstanding.

Idiots.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 10:54PM

Has there been any fallout from the "Official Proclamation"

This is a good question. Are there any discussions of this in the meetinghouses? How are TBMs dealing with this? Or are they just sweeping it under the rug?

Anyone?

Posted by: lilygeorge ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 11:11PM

Just read that whole "FAQ" release. Wow. Notice how much they use Biblical scripture to back themselves up, also how suddenly they are pretty darn normal - comparing temple garments to the Jewish prayer shawl?? Some PR guy got a nice paycheck for this.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 11:17PM

There is no Official Church Doctrine. It died the day the Q13 announced they would not be answering questions, but members should ask their local authorities. These are their neighbors, the volunteer unpaid clergy the church trumpets so proudly.

Life teaches us not to rely on what we are told, rather to look at people's behavior and judge by that what's true for them.

The church is in the midst of a massive restructuring which began under Harold B. Lee and which he strongly objected to. I believe there was a coup which The Committee won. It was rightly seen by the businessmen who had become the majority that the church could not be run by a possibly addle-pated octogenarian, rather it needed the judicious judgment provided by a management team--The Committee. Others may disagree, but I believe Lee was murdered for his opposition to the elimination of the power of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator.

The first step of the Committee was Correlation. They could not seize control of the church without being able to control what was taught and to be able to clamp down on mavericks. Then came the legal reorganization which eliminated the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and replaced it with the Corporation of the President= LDS, Inc. and the use of the standard Holding Company structure. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints IS A TRADEMARK of LDS, Inc.

There is no "church" any more. Perhaps this is the reason they say that they are witnesses of the name of Jesus Christ. Thus giving them maximum flexibility and deniability in terms of teachings which do not conform to those taught by Christ.

Since David O McKay each prophet has held less and less respect and wielded less power. The prophet did not attempt to translate the papyri from the Chicago Museum. He gave it to Hugh Nibley and the real Egyptologists. Remember when Joseph Smith said that learned men could not provide accurate translation but he could because what wasn't Greek was Reformed Egyption, which he claimed he could read. Since the Mormon Church has acknowledged having the seer stone in their possession, why didn't the prophet use it to translate and verify Joseph Smith's work.

Obviously because he knew he had no connection with diety and no miraculous powers. Follow this: it is no longer the 12 Apostles, it is the 15. Why? To provide 2 assistants to the prophet is the official reason, but why do they need to be counted among the elite? Because they have to know something only the Q15 know and they have to be pledged to secrecy. Clearly what they know is that the whole thing is a fraud and it is carefully guided by businessmen who are directing the future growth away from weird-religion biz to mainstream. They are re-engineering the company. I believe their assistance is actually monitoring/screening/protecting the company from the dementia and possible Alzheimers that hangs over every elderly person.

Look what happened when Spencer Kimball grabbed the mike, so to speak, after being horrified by hearing that BYU students were having oral sex. He freaked. You cannot have that in a multi-billion dollar international corporation. There is simply too much money at stake.

The Q15 are ALL referred to as "prophets, seers and revelators" in order to bleed off power from the True Prophet of God's One True Church. The next step is that every priesthood holder is told that he, also, is a prophet, seer and revelator and is eligible for revelation for himself and his family. And of course, every woman is fully entitled for revelation for herself. And so on. We already hear that so-and-so made a pronouncement "thus sayeth the Lord" when in fact, he was "speaking as a man."

Even as early as Joseph Smith, he was saying some of his revelations came from Satan. The church isn't going to say that because they are moving away from weirdness, toward the corporation-saving shade under the banyon tree of Presbyterian-style protestantism.

Why do you think they hired a focus group to evaluate why people weren't enjoying going to the temple. Why didn't they just ask the Prophet if the Lord wanted changes made to the unchanging restored ceremony from Solomon's temple? The answer is obvious. The prophet has nothing to do with the changes that are going on. Let me be plain. The prophet is a figurehead, like the Queen. He's a waver, a ribbon cutter, a symbol. And if he ages into forgetting that fact, he has two able assistants. One to slap their hand over his mouth and another to hustle him out of the interview.

In my mind, the church will continue to deny that they ever taught "that" (whatever is being questioned) and that current members will verify that the average Mormon "doesn't believe that." Reporters will ask the average Mormon, who is kept from getting information from any source but Sunday School, and indeed, they will never have heard of any such thing.

In this way, this generation and the next will pass away and the One True Church will remain with it's true actual immutable doctrine: you must pay tithing and do what we say. In whatever name will get you to pay and do what we say. Amen.

Anagrammy

Date: March 27, 2012 11:22PM

I love your posts Anagrammy!! You are so much more eloquent than me.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 11:31PM

Excellent post -- when they make the movie anagrammy needs to write the script.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 03:50AM

Thanks, great post, anagrammy...

Posted by: no-mo-mo ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 11:37PM

Yeah well I DO get my own planet! I DO get my own planet dammit!!

(Runs off crying to bedroom)

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 11:43PM

Just checked the D&C at lds.org. It's still there, 132:63 et passim

63 But if one or either of the ten virgins, after she is espoused, shall be with another man, she has committed adultery, and shall be destroyed; for they are given unto him to amultiply and replenish the earth, according to my commandment, and to fulfil the promise which was given by my Father before the foundation of the world, and for their exaltation in the eternal worlds, that they may bear the souls of men; for herein is the work of my Father continued, that he may be glorified.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 12:04AM

If I were Baptist, I'd be doing the wave and saying Amen Jesus!

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 04:24AM

If I was still there, taking away my planets wouldn’t go over so well. I remember entertaining the JW’s for a while. I didn’t mind talking and hearing what they were about, and they thought that a guy in Utah who let them keep coming back was just about theirs.

When it finally came to the point, a handful of visits down the line, of asking me why I don’t join with them… My answer was something along the lines of… In my religion I will become a God and have my own planets and children on them. How can you top that? What can you give me?

And now they took that away. I would have had something to say in EQ about that if I was still there.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 04:51AM

Yah, right the BOM never said "white & delightsome"!

Big time MORMON denial in this comment at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q6brMrFw0E

QUOTE: "Book of mormon never says white&delightsome.Want to disprove me?Read the book yourself.Eloheim is not Adam. Jesus did not have 3 wives. We know nothing of Jesus marrital status. Joseph never claimed direct descent to Christ. Mormon Christ is the same Christ as any other Christian's. Joseph Smith; not a treasure seeker, savior in tthat he restored the church but still only a man, and never claiming the privilege to judge. Bias is where he's "known for tall tales." We aren't polygamist"

ulisscarple in reply to ijjbaa (Show the comment)

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 08:13AM

I still attend church and nothing of interest is discussed full stop. If it wasn't for this site I wouldn't hear about the recent 'no planet' quote or anything mildly controversial.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.