Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Toy Soldier ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 06:46AM

Had an interesting email from our High Priests Group Leader this morning.

He said that one of the group had volunteered to make DVD copies of 'The Mormon Candidate' for anyone at church who was interested.

For something that has been labelled 'problematic', I wonder if they think:

a) It must be good (i.e. they haven't actually watched it yet);
b) As High Priests, there's nothing there for us to be worried about;
c) It's good for us to be prepared?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elaine Dalton ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 07:08AM

There was a facebook status made this morning by the official LDS in the UK page, it said:

Comment on BBC documentary
The following short statement was issued this morning by the Church, following the broadcast of a TV documentary on Tuesday evening (27th March) purporting to represent Church beliefs and practices:
"This wasn’t a documentary about the Church we know. An opportunity was missed in providing a balanced and informed perspective. Those wanting to know more about the Christ-centered beliefs and practices of the Church can find out more on mormon.org, or they can drop into any of our Sunday services."

Following a few debates I've had on FB this morning I'd say that members feel like the church has been misrepresented and that it was biased and an unfair attack, made worse by the fact that the BBC is supposed to be neutral.

Posted by: arend ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 07:35AM

"High Priests Group ... volunteered to make DVD copies for anyone at church" Bishop agrees to say stuff it to the BBC copyright then? ha ha.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 07:40AM

Excuse me, but the "church they know" is not the church I knew.

The Church they know is not the church of tomorrow. A church with no doctrinal leadership (won't answer doctrinal questions) is hardly one to claim they have been misrepresented.

They themselves are the biggest misrepresenters of the Mormon Church. Who could top GBH on Larry King?

No doubt asking Larry's question, "Do Mormons believe that a man can become a god?" would be reframed as a biased and unfair attack.

The media is the message.

Anagrammy

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 03:56PM

The people the intiverwer asked the hard questions are the people that should have the ansers. The fact they dont or are flipfloping is a massive kick in the teeth to the church.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 07:05PM

I totally agree.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.