Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 10:50AM

One purpose for Dehlin's study is so that "Mormons can come to understand that the reasons for people losing their faiths are legitimate. Hopefully the church will stop punishing people for (leaving for) legitimate reasons.”

The leaders have ALWAYS known why people leave: because the members discover the truth about the church’s history, doctrine, and practices. Duh! To counteract this undesirable loss and to prevent the remaining sheeple from leaving the church (and <sob!> taking their precious tithes with them,) leaders discredit, invalidate, and punish those who leave by encouraging shunning.

Honesty has never been in the interest of church leaders.

What is good about the study, however, is that some members will read it and will wake up. For that reason, we can rejoice that Dehlin is getting published for his efforts! Thank you, John!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 09:18PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 09:30PM

Snipit from the article:

Dehlin said the surveys results brought on some questions he would like to address, including: Why do some respondents still attend church? Why do 50 percent of people who leave the church become agnostic? And why are they scared to talk to their bishops?

I don't think people are really scared to talk to their bishops. I think they just don't want to have to deal with the pressure they think they will be faced with.
Others have different views, I'm sure.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 09:38PM

Because he screamed at me and belittled me when I went to him with my questions. Among other things, he said "Is this worth losing your family for?" It was like a bad mafia movie. I've had some really good bishops in my lifetime and I wouldn't have been scared of them, but some bishops are scary, no matter how many kind ones are out there.

Come to think of it, I'm still scared to talk to him. Our kids go to the same school and even at a school event, from a distance, I start feeling panic.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 09:34PM

I'm so glad he's doing this. Hopefully the church will stop promoting beliefs that tear marriages apart. It seems like there is a divorce announcement on this site on a regular basis. It's heart breaking, and unnecessary.

When I read about kids being denied educations, being kicked out of their houses, and shunned, it feels like the church has spawned pure evil. The church that claims to be all about family has caused so much family destruction its unconscionable.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 09:39PM

I might have said "apostates" too, but what a joke the use of that term is when a MORmON apologist/defender tries to use it. I hope that LDS Inc continues to try to bash/trash those that dare speak against TSCC because it just widens the gulf between normal & more rational ppl and the insane idiots known as MORmONS. IF we have to suffer with stupid in this life, and it seems that we must, then I want them labled so they are readily identifiable and the label of "MORmON" works just fine for me!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.