Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmoparents ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 01:02PM

I was very surprised to learn that Park Romney, Mitt's second cousin, was a "high priest" in the Mormon church. Does anyone know whether he was a bishop, stake president or what?? He also looks like he could be Mitt's brother . . . huge resemblence!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 01:32PM

Not surprising; I'm just commenting on it... The site claims its being but forth by "friends of Park Romney" and then says Romney may not continue to authorize it...

As for the rest of the rhetoric, I wonder what they're doing, putting out some evidence that the "Romney cognitive processes are genetic"?

It hurts my brain to read stuff like this. Dana Millbank is one of Washington's honest journalists, BTW...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2012 01:33PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: March 30, 2012 03:56PM

I'll be honest, the layout reminds me of 9/11 conspiracy websites.

Actually, yeah, it is.

http://www.parkromney.com/affiliates/romney/images/DisturbingBushQuestions.jpg

http://www.parkromney.com/affiliates/romney/images/forthreich.jpg

No thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2012 04:00PM by Strykary.

Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 12:54PM

The layout could use some improvement.

Whoever Park's friends are, they could use some web help.

Posted by: E2 ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 01:26PM

All this means is that he doesn't have huge financial backing. Financial backing/social proof isn't necessarily a determinant of truth.

Date: March 29, 2012 06:27PM

Interesting site! He sounds very intelligent and articulate . . . maybe he should run for office :-) Nah, on second thought, that would probably ruin him.

Posted by: ExmoDad ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 09:51PM

Um, a lot of men who have been Mormons for more than 5 years become High Priests. It's quite common.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 10:27PM

I just asked specifically about that on this website a few days ago and was told only about 20% of all Mormon men ever bc high priests.

Which is correct?

Posted by: ExmoDad ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 11:06PM

20 percent seems low, but maybe it's accurate.

I don't know. Just know my Dad was one, and I've known a variety of men who were HP's.

They tended to be the older men, not super old, but ones who have been in Mormonism a long time.

Except in communities with very few Mormons, and then they'd take whomever was available, it seems...

Date: March 30, 2012 01:04PM

I liked Lyndon Lamborn's analogy that "Mormonism is Christianity on steroids." Why do Mormons have to have these enormous titles (rhetorical question). My Dad is a Lutheran minister (pastor/priest). He went through seminary after college and then went on to get his Master's in Divinity at Berkley. He had to answer to the Bishop of the Regional Synod and it went up from there.

In Mormonism, children go through seminary and are then deemed an "Elder." Elder is short for elderly, meaning an older, wiser person - you get it with age and wisdom. It's not a title that comes with just childhood training. High Priest is just another irrelevant, inflated title.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: March 30, 2012 01:12PM

Here's how you become a high priest:

1) Get a calling that requires you to be a high priest. This is typically as a counselor in a bishopric or on the high council.

2) Stay at least semi-active in the church until you are old enough to fit in better with high priests instead of the elders. This is typically around the age of 50 but varies widely from ward to ward.

20% is probably a reasonable guess - probably only about 20% of the total male membership of the church is still active at age 50.

So just because only 20% become high priests doesn't mean it is difficult to become one.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 02:13PM

…or 20% of all the male “members of record” within the ward's boundaries.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 29, 2012 10:09PM

“There is compelling evidence that the Mormon church leaders knowingly and willfully misrepresent the historical truth of their origins and of the church for the purpose of deceiving their members into a state of mind that renders them exploitable.”

Date: March 30, 2012 12:50PM

I agree - excellent quote!

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: April 01, 2012 12:51PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.