Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 04:24PM

Some guy just read a statement from the church auditing department (which claimed to stand on its own apart from other church influences) stated that all church dealings with money were sound, and in accordance with church policy.

Surprise surprise...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anonski21 ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 04:27PM

according to who? or based on what?

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 04:36PM

I think it's a "just believe me because I say so" type of thing.

Note: this letter was read directly following a sustaining "vote" of church authorities, where not one person showed a dissenting vote...

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 04:51PM

As a nevermo watching this for the first time.... I found it rather disturbing how the speaker said that the vote was unanimous... very obviously reading from a script.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 06:16PM

I was always taught that “sustaining” was NOT voting because the relevant calling (or budget) was already issued/decided.

“Sustaining” merely meant indicating your willingness to *support* the decision (the calling, the budget, etc.) which Heavenly Father (through church leaders) *already* had made.

If the speaker used the term "voting," he was deliberately misleading Nevermo listeners in hopes of conveying a false impression of democracy. The truth: Members have NO say in the running of the church!

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 04:29PM

Then WHY does tscc NOT tell US what the guidelines are? Or what is coming into its coffers? Or why a mall needs to co$t 5 bil?

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 04:30PM

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 04:37PM

Seriously how does one not bat an eye at this? I wish someone could audit the church "auditing" dept.

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 04:52PM

"We have taken an oath to sustain and follow the leaders of the church. We have been told by these leaders not to disclose the finances of the church to anyone else but these leaders. We have followed our instructions, as told to us by the leaders."

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 04:54PM

One day when I can I have stories about this group.

Date: March 31, 2012 06:18PM

We'll look forward to it.

Posted by: jdee ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 06:35PM

I hope you can soon. This is one of my biggest current irritations. Such a phony lip service imo. Would love some inside info on this group

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 07:51PM

I would love to but it means losing a loved one. They are not young though.

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 05:01PM

I found it amusing: "This is an independent audit"

Right. Bullshit!

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 05:22PM

I'm sure that what they audit are the wards. I can think of five billion reasons the top is not audited.

Posted by: fetching49 ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 06:19PM

<insert puke face> GMAFB! "We just built a $5 billion dollar mall and we know you were all soooo worried there wouldn't be enough funds for our dear Profit's private jet or security- But not to worry brethren, all is well...."

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 06:37PM

What does, "according to church policy" mean? We all know it means whatever they decide it is and we also know that it will always be in accordance with church policy. What a joke.

Date: March 31, 2012 06:51PM

Can someone explain the $5 bill mall thing?

I always see it mentioned on the obard, but I have no clue about it, or what the story is.

Is this something the general membership is privy to?

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 06:55PM

Bishop whats his name of the Presiding Bishopric said the final cost of the City Creek Mall was 5 B's. Built by the the Mormon church not using ANY tithing.

What else would you like to know?

Posted by: ExmoDad ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 07:12PM

They built a $5 billion dollar mall (extremely expensive) and housing complex in Salt Lake City, and the head of the church was featured at the ribbon cutting ceremony a few days ago.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 11:06PM

And it represents $5 billion that could have gone to cure malaria in Sub-Saharan Africa, or provide HIV/AIDS medication to all of Africa. But now we know that earning the big bucks is what really does it for LDS Inc.

Incidentally, the mall was first extimated at $750 million. They went reeeeaal far over budget.

Date: March 31, 2012 06:58PM

I find it tough to believe that a cost of that magnitude was met without using tithing funds.

Indirectly, cant you pretty much trace everything that the church has today, to the decades and decades of tithes and offerings, from the members?

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 07:03PM

Not if they don't open their financial records you can't. ;-)

Date: March 31, 2012 07:26PM

because money they have made by investing your tithing money is YOUR lost interest income gone into THEIR coffers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2012 07:26PM by WiserWomanNow.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 07:29PM

If I were in a TBM family scraping by in this economy, I would HIGHLY resent the $^$%$ mall.

As to their "sound" money practices, I say PROVE IT. We want disclosure before you get another penny. No? Adios. It's been...um...er... really interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2012 07:30PM by FreeRose.

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 07:20PM

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 09:30PM

"We who have covenanted to support and obey the church leaders, and who have been hired by those leaders, and who have been taught that it's forbidden to say anything bad about the leaders even if it's true, and who know that these audits are secret and will not be seen by anyone outside the hierarchy, do hereby state that the leaders are handling the money OK."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2012 09:31PM by baura.

Posted by: sdee ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 09:47PM

By no means am I defending the Church, but to be fair, I haven't seen any source say that THE CHURCH has spent 5 billion dollars on the mall - 5B is just the amount that has gone into it. The Church was obviously spearheading this whole thing, but they weren't the only ones contributing.

I don't know what the accurate numbers are.

Posted by: Dufreyne ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 09:57PM

I can't believe that LDS members actually buy this crap. I had a discussion with my mother regarding the lack of "open books" in the LDS church. She assured me that the books were "open." I then challenged her to show me the "open books." She was unable. I then showed her the open books from a variety of traditional church organizations including: Catholic, Baptist, Universalist Unitarian, Presbyterian. She had no authentic response--only saying that her bishop assured her that the books were "clean". No paperwork, no actual numbers, no actual accounting--just verbal bull hockey that she swallows hook, line and sinker. How do actually have a discussion with someone who believes this malarky and won't believe any actual historical facts?

D

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 10:07PM

Dufreyne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She had no authentic
> response--only saying that her bishop assured her
> that the books were "clean".

The question that comes to mind is how would her bishop know? Or is he just "taking it on faith."

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 31, 2012 10:19PM

I have never, not once in my lifetime, seen books that were "clean" when those in charge of the money wouldn't let investors see what was going on.

I feel (I was taught my feelings are proof that i'm right) that they are lying, hiding, laundering, and squandering boatloads of money.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.