Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cskawi ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 07:37PM

There was a clip on CNN today of what looked like a college student asking romney about the bom and if he thought it was wrong for whites and blacks to marry. Romney said he wouldn’t be answering questions. What made this worse was a CNN associate called anyone wanting to question romney's religion a religious bigot. I find that ridiculous. People need to know the beliefs of the man that could possibly become the most powerful man in the world. Especially if its a cult like Mormonism.
Yahoo article already spamed up my tbms

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-faces-mormon-faith-185221865.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/02/mitt-romney-mormon-question_n_1397825.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 07:39PM by cskawi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 07:49PM

A member or exmo should pose the question. It's harder to dismiss criticism as bigotry when it comes from another member.

Posted by: Jesux of Nazdaq ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 07:55PM

How is one's religious views more protected than one's political views?

We can question Romney's political beliefs. Why is his faith not questionable?

Posted by: me ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 08:00PM

Because LDS are very different among themselves. We can only question the LDS faith. We can only question what Romeny says and does, and what he does not say or do. Those things must be separate.

Asking Romney, for example, if he believes that the color of a person's skin reflects the condition of his soul, for example, would not do because it sounds like an invitation to damn the prophet MLK.

However, asking if people have consequences/advantages because of what their ancestors did, would be a way around it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 08:37PM by me.

Date: April 02, 2012 08:00PM

I just can't beleive they stated anyone questioning it is the bigot. I don't understand why this culture skips around the questions.

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 08:05PM

Did you care about Obama's beliefs? I mean, I hated people getting after Obama for Jeremiah Wright.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Wright

Date: April 02, 2012 08:07PM

I guess it depends if his beliefs or religion may have a negative effect on him acting as a leader. Can't say for sure.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 08:15PM

besides there are plenty of Americans still debating if President Obama is a Muslim.

Plus, Holland, one of the 12 apostles of the COJCOLDS called Obama Osama. Is Holland a bigot?

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 08:08PM

Romney can deny it all he wants.

I think most people in the past, particularly outside the morridor, simply do not care about mormonism, other than having to shoo pesky missionaries away from the door.

The education about mormonism to the general public will begin after Romney gets the nomination officially. Romney will have no control over it, as the media will be the ones to do the researching and reporting.

Romney will have to deal with it when mormons dirty little secrets are exposed.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 08:56PM

Unless they're evangelicals. Then they think he belongs to a cult.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 08:24PM

Asking questions is not bigotry. That is what makes a free society healthy.

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 08:36PM

If I heard correctly, the man asking the questions was named Brett Hatch...Hatch is a my last name and a very mormon one at that. I've never heard the name Hatch unless it was in Utah or Mormons.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 09:26PM

It's bigotry to point out bigotry?

Posted by: me ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 09:37PM

That is how the American public has been brainwashed. Unless something big happens, I might become a refugee up north. I moved quite a ways so that I will be at a good jumping-off place.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 09:45PM

A person who questions Romney's Mormonism doesn't truly understand politicians or the political system. It is ignorance, not bigotry.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 09:47PM

Martin Bashir has an interesting thought piece on why Romney's religion ought to be fair game in the political discussion. I especially liked this bit:

"What does Mitt Romney think of his religion’s founder, Joseph Smith, who’s been described as a fraudster and a conjurer, well-known to the authorities in upstate New York?"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42359297/

Maybe some in the press are getting ready to show some backbone.

Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 10:06PM

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 10:25PM

Obama sat in a pew, week after week listening to those racist rants. I think that is something that the American people should be concerned about.

Just as I think Mitt Romney serving a mission and being faithful to a church that openly discriminated against blacks until 1978 is fair game (in the media). Also, I think his temple vows are fair game where he vows to give everything he has or ever will have to build up the church.

If you're going to run for President, your dirty laundry WILL be aired for the world to see...if the skid marks on your underpants are too gross and embarrassing, then don't run for office!

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 10:52PM

Tauna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Obama sat in a pew, week after week listening to
> those racist rants. I think that is something
> that the American people should be concerned
> about.
>
> Just as I think Mitt Romney serving a mission and
> being faithful to a church that openly
> discriminated against blacks until 1978 is fair
> game (in the media). Also, I think his temple
> vows are fair game where he vows to give
> everything he has or ever will have to build up
> the church.
>
> If you're going to run for President, your dirty
> laundry WILL be aired for the world to see...if
> the skid marks on your underpants are too gross
> and embarrassing, then don't run for office!

Yes, President Obama heard racist rants against white people like his mother and grandparents who raised him after his black father abandoned him. Yep, sounds like a hardcore racist we have as president.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 11:04PM

I'm doubtful he heard 20 years of racist rants; rather he learned to "tune in" black folks' anger (anybody disagree that they might have a right to be angry?) as a way of embracing the African half of his heritage...

And the underlying faith doubtless gave meaning to a lot of the people's lives...

Finally, I don't see Mitt leaving the LDS Church while the President did leave Rev. Wright's....

And I see Jimmy Carter also left the Southern Baptists over their treatment of women...

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 11:00PM

And in all humility, I think I'm holding my own... One poster makes a praiseworthy comment about RFM and also notes there seems to be a "pack mentality" among the faithful when they're challenged...

Might be more Mormons check out CNN than MSNBC...

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/02/10986628-in-wisconsin-romney-offers-rare-insight-into-mormon-faith

Okay, I've been doing this stuff for a few years now (ever since the good old days when we couldn't catch all the trolls here). Here's one of my secrets...

Always let them throw the first punch... Stay polite until then...

You throw the second punch. But make sure it's a groin shot, seriously. They're going to accuse you of fighting dirty anyway, so you might as well...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 11:00PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 11:03PM

I agree with you. It is important to know what his beliefs are- for one he thinks it is okay to keep nevermo parents from their own kid's wedding if held in the Temple. Okay - that alone would blow people's minds. They just don't know. Romney would be horrible for our country.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.