Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: angelina5 ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 08:55PM

While I might regret doing it so soon as it will definitely make me estranged from all my LDS friends, I can no longer be associated with a Church who supports and testifies of Brigham Young. Evidently, I also have issues with the rest of the Church's non-sensical historical and doctrinal fallacies.
I only started the path of enlightenment 3 months ago when I first realized that the Church was hiding certain things.
Do you think that I am making a rushed decision?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 09:07PM

"Do you think that I am making a rushed decision?"

I have no idea. But as a suggestion, you could still write the letter and 'sleep on it.' The act of writing the letter might give you better insight into what you want and need to do next.

Date: April 02, 2012 10:02PM

Thank you! I have heard that the emails of resignation were not successful and the individuals still ha to write a letter. I would surely love to do it by email!!

Posted by: notion ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 10:40PM

I emailed mine and got my acknowledgment letter within a week. Here is the email address I used:

msr-confrec@ldschurch.org

Good luck and enjoy your new/real life!

Date: April 02, 2012 10:43PM

Wow THANK YOU!!! I know that Richard Pakham has a standardized letter of resignation. I will look into that as well.
Did you have to meet with the bishop or relief s. president?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 10:44PM by angelina5.

Posted by: notion ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 10:58PM

I copied Stake President and Bishop on my email; included date of birth, baptism, my membership number, and told them that should be enough for them to know that this is me writing the email. Asked for no contact, no waiting period, and stated that I understand the church considers this important matter and what the perceived consequences are. The standardize letter will give you additional ideas. I didn’t get into any specifics why I’m resigning. Why should I give them hints on what to improve? :P

The letter I received was the standard “we acknowledge your request, please come back, we are sending this to your SP and Bishop” – so they didn’t even read that I copied them already. Within couple days afterwards I was not able to access any ward/stake info on the lds website (it would allow me to log in but said I was not authorized to see the directory when I tried; I took it as a good sign).

So far nobody has contacted me about any meeting and even if they do, I tell them what I’ve been telling them for 2-3 years. Nope, not interested, no reason to meet. Technically you are out the moment they receive your email/letter. Anything afterwards is just them doing their paperwork. Hope this helps!

Date: April 02, 2012 11:02PM

I really appreciate you taking the time to write this. Now let's hope that I can find my membership number without asking the ward clerk!!

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 12:47AM

angelina5 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Now let's hope that I can find my membership
> number without asking the ward clerk!!

You don't need your membership #. I sent my email with name, DOB and present address and it went through with no local contact other than a form letter from a bishop.

Best of luck.

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:01PM

angelina5 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I really appreciate you taking the time to write
> this. Now let's hope that I can find my membership
> number without asking the ward clerk!!

I did not know my membership number--in fact I told them I did not know nor care what my membership number was. I gave them my birthdate and baptismal date. I also emailed my resignation. Within a very few days I had the preliminary letter, but it was two months before I had the final letter.

Susan

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 10:13AM

I had the e-mail ready for a few days and then actually hit send. I never had a second thought. I thought it would be difficult. It wasn't--but then I had been inactive for YEARS (not because I didn't believe as I was a very devout mormon all my life, but because of life's circumstances) and had only been exmo for about 6 or 7. I sent it on January 17th. I got a letter 2 days later. The bishop came by (someone I had known for 25 years and knew he'd handle it well) on February 1st (an important anniversary in my life--that gave me reassurance) and brought me cinnamon rolls. Told me he was well aware of why I was doing what I did--and told me he wouldn't try to talk me out of it.

My "ex" who lived in my driveway in a motor home--also resigned the same way and got the visit from the bishop the same night.

He asked if he could e-mail our TBM daughter (who was living in Tennessee at the time) and we said, "Sure."

I lived more in fear of the fallout from having a leader show up--and knew this guy was someone I could trust. He also said he wouldn't tell anyone and I'm SURE he hasn't--believe me, I would know.

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:03PM

I emailed mine and it worked just fine. Register at www.didtheyreadit.com so you can prove when they opened and read your letter. I had to get aggressive to speed up the process and sent a second, much more assertive email, but in time I got my final letter. You don't have to visit with anyone, you don't have to sign anything, and you don't need to let anyone in your home for any kind of interview. Easy peasy and the best decision you'll ever make.

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 10:00PM

You've gotten some great advice. Act when it feels right to you.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 11:07PM

Do it!

Posted by: bc ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 12:04AM

"It will definitely make me estranged from all my LDS friends"

This isn't necessarily true. If your friends are your ward they may find out; maybe, maybe not depending on how well confidences are kept.

If they are outside of your ward there is no way they would know unless you tell them or if someone from your ward tells them.

It is also possible that some of your friends will maintain a friendship.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 12:54AM

Hi Angelina,

Best wishes to you. This is a big step, and will start an entirely new chapter to your life. And in a big way, you'll be giving license to your friends at church to do likewise. As you know, we all used to put up a strong front, but many of us were filled with turmoil. Your courage may well inspire the same in others. You might find you're helping others to embrace the same freedom that you're finding.

Posted by: mrmines ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:07AM

Angelina,

I wrote my letter two months ago and still havent sent it in. It does help you feel like your in control more of your future just to write it even if you don't send it in. Im sure I will send mine in when Im ready, it is a pretty deep rabbit hole to crawl out of though. Good luck, stay strong and remember who you are ;)

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 10:02AM

Go for it girl. There is nothing they can do to you once you mail that letter. It will be cutting the last few threads they have tied to you.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 10:18AM

Even if you resign you can still rejoin later on.

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 11:26AM

You could always leave your records alone and manipulate the church for your needs the way they took from you.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 11:36AM

There is one reason to not resign. If your parents are still living and if they might leave you an inheritance, then resigning could cause them to change their minds about that. If this doesn't apply to you then I cannot think of any other reasons to not resign. It is a healing step to get out of the CoJCoLDS. Best wishes to you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.