Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 08:59PM

The great and spacious mall has been open for 10 days, give or take if you count Sundays. Here are some things seen first hand or heard by some folks who work there:

Strollers being pushed into people by inattentive parents

Children running wild in the dressing rooms of upscale clothing stores. When parents asked to take care of their own children, getting the stink eye

Some incident at Tiffany's (broken item?) by an unattended child.

Arms torn off some mannequins at Banana Republic by unattended children.

Shoppers refusing to leave some of the stores on Friday night forcing employees to stay well past 10:00 before they could lock up.

Ahhh, yes, it is just a wonderful experience at the new City Creek Center.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 09:10PM

It's the Beverly Hillbillies, Utah style!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 05:06AM

GQ, that's hysterical!!!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 01, 2016 03:52PM

What an insult to Beverly Hillbillies, they say excuse me, please and thank you, and mean it.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 09:44PM

gemini - this is my favorite thing to gripe about when it comes to the church. I realize there are bigger problems but for sheer getting-on-my-nerves, not much beats bad Mormon manners and the way they pass those bad manners on to their offspring. Honestly, for a church that wants girls to marry young and raise a hoard of babies, there is very little teaching girls HOW to raise children. Common safety practices are ignored, children run wild both in public and at home, kids are not taught to consider other peoples' feelings. My theory on this is that Mormonism is a fundamentally self-centered religion with everyone working on their own personal salvation and image and no one really learns to automatically think to take others comfort into consideration. They never learn good manners or the character traits that come with good breeding.

Also, with their obsession that they are right and chosen, they seem to not understand how to be considerate - the way kings and queens often think only of themselves and don't grasp how they are inconveniencing their underlings. So they go bumbling through life acting like a bunch of escapees from a white trash ghetto and deluding themselves they are setting an example for others.

Beverly Hillbillies Utah Edition is right.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 09:51PM

I got to the point where I wouldn't let Mormons with kids in my house. I could tell some real horror stories.
My brother and his 6 out of control kids were the first to be not invited to my house.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 10:12PM

I noticed the gym is an over 18, adult gym. If anyone remembers the old Deseret Gym, children ran wild there. I think parents just dropped them off unattended.

The old malls stayed open late when greater crowds were expected. Maybe they failed to anticipate greater crowds for a time, especially during conference. Although, it is rude if they were ignoring the closing time on purpose.

Carrying my groceries through the crowds trying to cross to the mall made me wish for the days when it was empty during construction. Hopefully it will slow down. I have not been to the mall yet, but the sidewalks are certainly crowded.

comments on CA girl's post:

I cannot remember how many times I was told as a child to walk single file, and to leave the other side for people going the opposite direction. This was in a small town without much foot traffic. In SLC I am constantly forced off the sidewalk by people hogging it. Previously I mentioned carrying groceries home when the priesthood session was starting or ending. Rarely do they think of others, and consider someone might be walking in the opposite direction. Maybe other people don't want to stop, and bask in their righteousness, or whatever they think other pedestrians are there for, because admiring them is not what I'm doing when I'm forced to practically stand still with my groceries, being jostled, while trying to move forward.

As far as the kings, and queens thing. A few times I've had married 19 or 20 year olds, younger than me, apparently still high on the temple ceremony, talk down to me, and treat me like I should serve them. Some really think the single women should start now, in this life, with the servitude. TSCC certain puts strange, and arrogant ideas in people's heads.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 10:14PM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:47PM

A&H, I don't allow people to force me off the sidewalk anymore. There have been several times here in Utah where I've gotten tired of the out of control children and just walk into them. Teaches them to watch where they're going pretty quick.

I had to fly for work last week. When I was getting off the parking lot shuttle in Salt Lake there was a group of people who couldn't be bothered to wait for people to get off the bus before rushing on. I just pretended they weren't there and plowed into them. Got their attention when my wheeled luggage ran over their feet.

I know I'm being a petty jerk, but I'm getting tired of all the bad behavior.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:29PM

Meh, I've been doing that myself a lot lately. Mostly to people who are walking and texting. I consider pedestrian rules to be the same as traffic rules. Stand to the right, pass on the left. If you have to stop, don't do it the second you step through a doorway... pull over! (If I could require people to wear and use turn signals in the grocery store, that would be the beans, wouldn't it?) I cannot abide douchebags who stand around all slack-jawed and open-mouthed, right in the middle of a corridor, hallway, thoroughfare, aisle, doorway, or any other public space where people might want to, you know, WALK.

If I have to walk into a store and stop to put my shades away, dig out my shopping list, tie my shoes, whatever, I walk ten steps inside the store and then step off to the side, AWAY FROM WHERE PEOPLE ARE WALKING, to do my piddly business. So. When someone does that to me, I pretend I don't see them and plow right into them.

Not long ago, I was walking my dog in a park. The dog was on my left, sniffing grass next to the sidewalk, totally minding her own little doggy business. (She's SUCH a good girl!) A man and woman couple were walking toward me on the same sidewalk. The woman sort of veered off to the side (my right) to give me and the dog room to pass, seeing as how it was a public sidewalk and I was clearly and obviously walking on it. The man acted like I was completely invisible and would. not. budge. Just looked right over my head as if I didn't even exist and kept right on walking. I refused to sidestep him, either. I thought, why should I, just because you're a big burly man, I have to be the one who considers other people and move for YOU? F*&k you douchebag, you can move for ME. I did not stray from my obviously intended path and forced the guy to body check me on my way by. Which my dog, of course, did not appreciate much. She growled at him. Suddenly, I was visible! LOL

Posted by: Friend of a Mo ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 12:54AM

I wondered about this (the unattended children) when I was reading here when the mall first opened. I wonder how long it will take before a unattended kid falls into the creek they put in the mall. I have no idea how accessable it is, but if a kid wants to get to it..the ole saying, where there is a will, there is a way.

Posted by: rosemary ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:55AM

I'm not sure how fair this is. The way it was with Mormons I grew up with, you behaved well. And if you didn't, any adult was free to speak to you about it.

Where I live there is a large immigrant/non-English speaking population who are notorious for letting their children run amok. They are *not* known to be LDS.

Maybe this is what Utah has come to, but it is not typical of LDS outside the Morridor.

Just being honest.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 05:10AM

I think it is typical in Utah for the Mormon kids to often be unattended. So you may be right about elsewhere. I lived in Utah for a time and saw many Mormon kids out and about and no parent around - this occurred in my neighborhood all the time. Other times if a Mormon kid was in my home playing the parent wouldn't come when agreed on and I ended up taking the kid home on many occassions....forget about your own kid???? Now that is disgraceful. And they never apologized either....it was like I was expected to do this for them.

Posted by: fetching49 ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:59AM

I was raised in UT and never experienced this kind of crazy. Most kids I knew that were seriously mis-behaved weren't from Mormon households. I always see these posts here and wonder what part of Utah is this?! Utah County? But then again I am the kind of parent who would never take my small child, no matter how well behaved, into a high end store like Tiffany's. Expensive shiny things + little creatures with grabby hands = disaster. Always.

Posted by: rosemary ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:05AM

Ha! Just so!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:06AM

I haven't seen it either. There have been a few occsions where children were disruptive, but I don't think Mormon kids are worse than others. Lots of parents don't properly watch their kids-Mormon or not.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:35PM

Considering how crowded Tiffany's was Saturday when I was there, it wouldn't have been hard for anyone, adult or child, to break something. It also would be easy to lose sight of a child. I don't know what happened. Maybe the parent were neglectful and let their kid run wild, or maybe it was one of those embarassing things than can happen to any of us.I do agree that there are places I would hesistate to take kids unless I was sure they would behave properly

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 07:25AM

That mall will be a beverly hillbilly joke of a mall in less than a decade. Malls are not a good investment these days and it is a risky investment to put money into something like a mixed use retail based leasing.

The people in Utah are already sluring it by using their own redneck accent as, "Shitty-crick mall"

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 07:38AM

I've seen parents with one child they can't control and someone with 10 well behaved kids. Common sense might say, if you have a difficult child, maybe you don't want 5 more. Problem is, how many mormons stop at just one?

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:06AM

I think there is a perception among Mormons outside of Utah that Utah Mormons tend toward not parenting their kids very well, let them run wild, don't teach them manners etc. I know this is true among non-LDS because even as a member, it was the thing I most heard non-LDS dis Mormons for...that they were neglectful parents who let their kids run wild because they were always too busy at church. There are always exceptions, of course. But maybe people who live in Utah don't see it because it's become such the norm there that they don't realize compared to other places, the kids are really misbehaved. Coming from outside Utah, I think people are shocked. It also might be a numbers game - if you have one or two kids misbehaving in the mall it makes less of an impact if you have 4 kids misbehaving and you are at the mall with your sister, who has her 3 kids misbehaving. Then you have a circus, just from the numbers - not because they are dramatically worse than other kids.

I also think it has to do with tradition, for much the same reason. If you were always allowed to run wild in your neighborhood, in stores, in restaurants, then you don't see anything wrong with it in your kids - especially if all your friends let their kids run wild too. But if you had parents who were strict on "do not touch" or "sit politely" or "don't run around - stay near Mommy" you are going to be that way yourself as a parent, no matter where you live or what religion you were raised in.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 10:50AM

My TBM daughter has worked at several movie theaters off and on over the years and the days nobody wants to work--NOBODY--are the summer kids' movies. The mormon vans and suburbans pull up, drop off all the kids, and the parents leave. And the brawl begins.

My TBM daughter refuses to have more than 2 kids. She thinks it is a travesty that mormons do this. I only had twins and I had many people talk about the fact that my kids were so well behaved (not necessarily at home). Half the battle is ATTENTION, ATTENTION, ATTENTION. Most mormon kids get no attention as the parents are too busy--let alone all the children.

If you are going somewhere like the City Creek mall--why do they take their kids?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 10:51AM by cl2.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:55PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.