Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 09:39AM

1. I will be able to say the one perfect thing to the TBMs in my life, or get them to read one book or watch one YouTube video, and they will immediately see the church is a fraud and live happily ever after.

2. There is something out there, some bit of information to be made public, some confession by a leader, maybe even the defection of a GA, that will cause the instant and total collapse of the church.

3. I should be able to leave the church without it causing any problems.

4. I can sue to get all my tithing back.

Add to the list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 09:40AM by Stray Mutt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 10:52AM

"I can sue to get all my tithing back."

As far as fantasy:
I get a letter that they are returning all of my tithing with interest and I don't have to do anything. Oh, and they are also paying me for me 2 year mission, all my callings, and cleaning the church.

Or maybe just a letter that they are paying me $1 for every church folding chair I have either put away or set up - that would probably be even more money...

My wife, her family, and my family see the light.

Probably the biggest possible fantasy is that some or all of my kids figure it out before they waste their time and life on full time missions and temple marriages.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 11:08AM

Horrified members leave in droves!

Posted by: sdee ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 12:21PM

Financials being opened up wouldn't mean anything to me - in fact, I prefer that they remain closed.

Opening them up would just fuel our believing family and friends to say, "See, they're not hiding anything!" - When they could in fact easily hide plenty with fancy accounting, or just plain omitting information.

Like they've been doing all along.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 11:19AM

...donate billions to worthwhile charitable causes.

The Mall will be open on Sundays and serve alcohol.

The leaders will accept that vaginas are as important as penises.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 12:22PM

Posted by: sdee ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 12:23PM

My family will consider history to be just that - history - and not "Satanic anti-Mormon lies."

I don't even care if they come to the same conclusion - to each their own - but I'm already tired of my mom's skepticism and judgments, and I've only been out (to her) for less than 2 months. It seems to me that if people would just expose themselves to the information, they'd be in a better position to understand where we're coming from.

Posted by: istillgetsurprised ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 04:52PM

I feel like this when it comes to my in-laws. I wish they just knew what the history was and why it helped me make the decision I have.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:28PM

Fantasy #1: My dear mother, who claims she knows the church is true while at the same time admitting she doesn't know much of anything about it, decides to actually educate herself about this organization she is so devoted to. She stops being afraid of what she will learn and instead decides that truth outweighs tradition.

Fantasy #2: My father embraces his agnosticism instead of condemning himself for it (he doesn't believe in Mormonism but actively participates for Mom's sake, but that he thinks people need a religion to be happy. He thinks the reason he is miserable is because he doesn't really have something to believe in). He accepts that religion does not equal happiness.

Fantasy #3: My sister stops waiting for some perfect TBM man to show up and sweep her away. She is beautiful, intelligent, financially secure, and 30. She lets go of the church that mistreats her, stops wasting her time at single adult wards and the men looking for a submissive little housewife, expands her romantic horizons and finds a man that truly loves and deserves her for who she is.

Fantasy #4: I get to attend my brother's wedding. Unfortunately, this one is the least likely to happen.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 03:43PM

Fantasy #1: An apology from my ex-wife. Never going to happen and as time goes by I care less and less what she thinks.

Fantasy #2: Some closeted NOM/Non-Believer gets called to the 70 and is asked to speak in general conference and is able to skillfully force TBMs to think, or perhaps demand financial transparency.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 03:48PM

The Missionary program gets shutdown.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 03:49PM by Demon of Kolob.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 03:50PM

The prophet stand up at the beginning of GC and come clean about every thing the church has lied about or hidden. Apologizes to everyone and tells them to go home.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 05:40PM

The IRS revokes the tax-exempt status of TSCC.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 06:06PM

My nevermo fantasy is to mess up Bednar's hair.

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 06:32PM

for all the harm and suffering caused by our mistakes."

Just once, I'd like to hear that.

Like, we are sorry to everyone we kicked out of BYU for exercising their rights of free speech. Sorry for the Utah liquor laws. We are sorry for counseling TBM women to leave their apostate husbands. We are sorry for covering up sexual abuse by church leaders. We are sorry for telling gay men to marry straight women. We are sorry for recommending wayward teenagers get sent into mormon wilderness programs. Sorry about that gay reparative therapy things, whoops. Ditto for Book of Abraham. Sorry to all you missionaries that taught doctrine that we now find unfashionable (sorry that we are now calling it folklore). That whole polygamy thing? Yeah, big mistake. We are sorry our actions created the whole FLDS church problem for state and federal governments - sorry about all that welfare fraud. Good luck to all the women and children born into that pedophilic nightmare.

Posted by: rosemary ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 06:43PM

I would like to be returned to the state of emotional well-being I would have had if I hadn't suffered from mind control cult-induced trauma.

That's all I want. Not asking for money back, or time, or apologies. I want the life I would have had if JS had never gotten his toehold.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 07:05PM

5. If Romney becomes president, the church will be exposed for the fraud it is and will collapse.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:27PM

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:28PM

I know. Shudder!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 07:13PM

I've had my eyes open for about 34 years. After I'd been out for a few years an exmo friend of mine with a TBM family confided that she sometimes fantasized about blowing up the Salt Lake Temple. I found this rather striking because I had had the same fantasy images going through my head during the early times.

Interestingly for each of us it wasn't right at first that we had this animosity toward the Church. O.K., it's not true, wow, that's interesting etc. But after the grief we got from our families over it--the self-rightousness, cold-shouldered shunning, passive-aggressive attacks on our character, the preachiness while refusing to listen to our points, etc., that the "bitterness" came in.

Oh, and I'm happy to report that I've not visualized a guided-missile attack on Temple Square for a LONG time. Maybe that's a sign of recovery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 07:16PM by baura.

Posted by: Tara the Pagan ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 07:35PM

1. They shut down temples due to lack of patrons; eventually the Provo temple becomes a "no-kill" animal shelter.
2. All ward and stake buildings in Utah Valley become Starbucks - with drive-throughs.
3. My novel (the religious one like unto "Da Vinci Code") climbs best-seller lists. People read it and realize what a massive cover-up TSCC has enacted.
4. So many people leave Mormonism that it's relegated to obscure history books.

Date: April 03, 2012 07:44PM

To point number 4... it already IS!

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 07:54PM

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:04PM

I wake up one morning and realize mormonism was just a bad dream.

Date: April 03, 2012 08:47PM

John Dehlin would be a good guest for the Daily Show...

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:24PM

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:40PM

QUOTE:

" 2. There is something out there, some bit of information to be made public, some confession by a leader, maybe even the defection of a GA, that will cause the instant and total collapse of the church."

I have no doubt that my family is so STUPID / MORmON that if there is a major fracture, division, factionation, and then Question about who is really in charge in LDS INC leadershi t, THen my family will appoint a family member who is to receive tithing in the interim, who will then pay the collection to whoever seemingly prevails as LDs Leader shi t as soon as that happens.

my personal ex mo fantasy? Jesus actually appears to the MORmON leadershi t in the Salt Lake City temple. then the messiah puts
Joseph SMith and Brigham Young and Gordon Hinckley in charge of LDS inc with out really saying which one is really supposed to be top dog. Let the fur fly, let the circus show begin.

Posted by: tumbo ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 11:23PM

The salt lake temple goes out of business and is bought by an enreprenuer who turns it into a gay dance club. It becomes the hottest spot in Salt Lake City. FAABUULOUUUUS!

Posted by: mormon411 ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 11:38PM

My exmo fantasy is to relive my childhood without the influence of Mormonism. Damn it! I turned down a lot of opportunities for the sake of being "righteous". Now I will never get those years back.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 11:43PM

A childhood without Mormonism? Ah, the luxury. And having a good and decent father, too. Smoke rings in the wind.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.