Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 09:25AM

Nobody holds you against your will in Mormon Church. You can leave anytime you wish. Usually your life is not threatened. of course there will be some extreme cases which will result in tragedy. In Islam it is basically their way or No_Way. If you want to leave your family, (especially if you are women) it's allright for you to be killed and in 90% of cases law will not prosecute you.
I came to Utah 35 years ago, found out the facts about the Church & left. Nobody bothered me. The place I was growing up in Middle East was worse than Selma, Alabama. Today perhaps things are better but not by much.

It is very hard for me to grasp some of the stories I read, how people are so bound by the oppression of the Church; I have a suggestion;Just walk away, leave everything which threatens your humanity & dignity, even if it your wife, Children. And why not, other side of the fence they are happy to suggest TBM spouse to ditch unfaithful spouse. If you cannot fend for your life & well being in United States of America you will succeed No where on this Planet.

People will leave oppression, evolution of Humanity dictates that.
The Wimps like DCP, who is sfond of sucking up to Islam actually makes things worse for Mormon Church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: me ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 10:30AM

Two points:
Because there are more unbelieving/doubting men in LDS, they often lose their children to be raised by rabid TBM moms, and rabid TBM stepfathers.

Do you think that LDS has the potential for evolving into something more radical? I do. D&C 121 applies to me, and I experienced it. Why else do you think I can understand your anger?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2012 10:31AM by me.

Posted by: anonymous ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 10:30AM

Posted by: bc ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 11:06AM

You have a good point and then you take it way too far.

By your own admission others who leave the Mormon church have to pay a much higher cost to do so. To diminish that cost and to be cavalier about loosing and severing the most important relationships in your life is off track.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 11:46AM

This is a false dichotomy.
There is no competition here to be "the worst".
Personal suffering can feel like the end of the world to the sufferer, even if "it could be worse".

Perfect example, I'll use myself:
I was abused as a child. BUT I was not beat with a belt, a fist, a switch... No, I was repeatedly restrained and suffocated but not even to the point of passing out. Two minutes is a desperately long time, but not long enough to cause loss of consciousness, just long enough to feel like you might die.

Some people tell me I wasn't really abused. That they walked around with marks, bruises, and broken bones.
I certainly thought I was going to die, but I wasn't left bleeding. "It could have been worse..."

Really? I would have traded situations and paid money to be beaten rather than bound and suffocated.
And I think that's at the root of my whole point. The suffering not experienced personally looks lesser and more appealing than what one experienced personally.

Posted by: me ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 11:58AM

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 12:18PM

Because Islam is worse, mormonism should get a free pass?

I find people's stories about how the lds church broke up their families and marriages heartbreaking, especially when the church claims to be all about families. With its missionaries and advertising, the mormon church is always trying to get new converts.

I am not familiar enough with the history of Islam to know why it is still very radical in this day and age. Early Christianity and mormonism was much the same way.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 05:18PM

Of course not. I'll tell you this; You have every power stop break Mormonism's chain in United States of America. You can go somewhere else & build your life again. Where are you gonna go if you were in Iran or Saudi Arabia? Or any worthless places like that where freedom is non-existent, especially for women.
If One cannot break the chain of Mormon oppression & slavery they don't get much sympathy from me.

Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 01:55PM

Perish the thought!

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 04:38PM

Q: I think you are describing a difference of degree, but not a difference of kind?

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 07:16PM

There are few non-Muslims who would not agree (even if they might be afraid to say so openly) that Islam is by far the worst offender among faiths when it comes to oppressing women, not to mention in opposing freedom of speech, etc. I don't mean to be rude to the OP, but it's hardly an original insight.

As someone raised Catholic, I would not make the argument, "Well, most Catholic women are infinitely better off than most Muslim women, so therefore I should just accept that Catholic women can't be priests," or "Shari'a law allows Muslim men to marry prepubescent girls, so I guess I shouldn't be upset about priests who are pedophiles." Being "better than Islam" is not a measuring stick to be proud of.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 01:54AM

The Morgs started in the USA. That is the only reason why mainstream Moism is not as radical as radical Islam. My cousin is a fundamentalist Mo in Colorado City, AZ. They do kill people for leaving there and the bodies end end up buried in the desert. They are just as radical as any radical organization on earth. Who are you going to call? The cops are also in the fundamentalist Mo group.
If JS had had his way, TSCC would be exactly like radical Islam except that the US constutition prevented it. The fundamentalist Mos in Colorado City AZ are the ones who are following JS the closest and they are RADICAL!!
I fear a Morg theocracy for this exact reason, and YES I do think it could happen. Mitt made vows in the temple which if he follows, it has to happen.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.