Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonaholic ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 10:04AM

Example: Molly would only date a Return Missionary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 10:04AM

Doh, if the Missionary hadn't returned how could Molly date him...?

Date: April 04, 2012 10:08AM

Let me re-phrase this - why is a missionary who has returned called a "Return Missionary," and not a "Returned Missionary?"

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 10:14AM

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 10:09AM

You mean, as opposed to "Returned Missionary"?

I've never heard it pronounced "return" missionary.

Date: April 04, 2012 10:12AM

This is code.

If he is a Returned Missionary then he served honourably.

If he is a Return Missionary then something has gone on that needs sweeping under the carpet.

Date: April 04, 2012 10:13AM

(p.s. I'm kidding, obviously...)

Date: April 04, 2012 10:14AM

I see it written as "return missionary" on this forum and in the bios/stories.

I was curious why. Maybe its no more then sloppy grammer...

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 10:32AM

Maybe the same reason a "recommendation" is called a "recommend."

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 02:09PM

This.

"Recommend" is not a noun; it's a verb. Calling a recommendation a "recommend" has always grated on my nerves. It's like calling an invitation an invite. Invite is the verb. Invitation is the noun.

My professional analysis (and yes, I am an editor) is that most people are too stupid to distinguish between nouns (person, place, or thing) and verbs (action words). Return missionary is a complete misunderstanding of tense. The tense of "return" is called simple present. If one has completed a mission and has returned from that mission, one would use the simple past tense form, "returned."

My other theory is this is all part of cult-speak. Hassan talks about cults co-opting language and giving terms different meanings from what is customarily understood. Temple recommend is one of my favorite examples of this. In any other situation or conversation with any speaker of English, using "temple recommend" or "return missionary" would be corrected, or at least noted as poor grammar. However, that's the standard in mormonism and everyone understand what those terms mean. So the language is co-opted and means something different to mormons than it does to everyone else. This contributes to elitism and that warm, fuzzy feeling of being special.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 11:33AM

The same reason terms such as king sized are rendered king size....it's bad grammar.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 11:46AM

It's like a title instead of an adjective. He's not just a missionary who returned, he's a Return Missionary.

Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 12:34PM

Because hicks from Utah don't know proper grammar!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 02:07PM

Agreed - bad grammar.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 12:39PM

I noticed that when I toured BYU many years ago -- religion classes especially aimed at "Return Missionaries." It bothered me then and it still doesn't sound right.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 01:48PM

It evolves just like anything else. Today's rules of grammar will be seen as archaic in just a few decades.

What facinates me is how the Mormon Culture is forging a different and unique path. Imagine what Utah hicks would sound like if they had truly remained isolated in the mountain west.

Posted by: heftmyplates ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 01:54PM

your write, just pour righting

Posted by: thinker ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 09:22PM

heftmyplates Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> your write, just pour righting

hysterical, Heftmyplates!

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 03:51PM

In thirties years in the church, and eight as an exmo, I have never heard of a 'Return Missionary'.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 04:20PM

It's hard to sandwich that hard "d" sound between two consonants. Leave it off verbally for enough generations and it begins to lose its place in written language as well.

Posted by: Hane ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 04:30PM

I see this kind of thing all the time--unaccented -ed endings left off written words. People are just transcribing the way they speak: like "box set" instead of "boxed set.". I also see people dropping the -s from the ends of third person singular words, too, as in "She sit in the front row" or "The customer call me at noon.". Drives me bats, especially when the culprits claim to have been honors English students.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 09:12PM

saying 'Temple recommend', instead of 'Temple recommendation'

Not pronouncing Melchizedek correctly, by switching the 'i' and the 'e'. I hope I spelled it correctly. It's been a while.

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 09:12PM

Cause (English speaking) TBMs don't care about grammar and don't bother to question things like this? If your native language is English (or if you are a fluent English speaker) yet you have never wondered about these types of simple things, (somebody who has returned from their mission called a 'return' missionary, or a temple recommendation called a temple 'recommend') you would never wonder or question anything else in the church.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 02:30AM

Grammar problems? Please. Only people who need a reason to look down on others would ever worry about whether their grammar is correct.

Questioning someone's grammar neither makes you clever, nor more intelligent than the person you are questioning. Bad grammar doesn't make someone stick around in the church for longer, as one poster attempted to argue.

In this case, it is just a syllable that is dropped off the end of the word in the Utah accent. It isn't gone from the language, it is just mushed in the middle of all of the other syllables. Many dialects from all different types of languages do this.

Date: April 05, 2012 11:47AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 11:47AM by snb.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 03:06AM

Temple "recommend" is another good one. These sound strange to anyone "out in the world," but make insiders feel connected and accepted in their cultural group.

Posted by: ymountain ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 03:18AM

Haha and how all the Mormons pronounce "zion" as "zy-un." That definitely originated in Utah.

Posted by: rowan ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 04:53AM

Ig-nerts!

Date: April 05, 2012 11:48AM

So, there I was, still finishing my undergrad and getting ready to apply for some stuff beyond college. I had left Mormonism about maybe 6 months prior to this. I went in to talk to my badass, exmo, linguist professor who was going to write me a letter of recommendation.

I sat down and said "Hey, thanks for writing me this letter of recommend."

Ugh...

I winced, he laughed, and then lectured me a bit on how people outside of Mormonism would not understand why I made that particular grammar error.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.