Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 04:57PM

Seems to me Holland is increasingly exhibiting an inner cog dis. The emotional rant at GC with the bogus BoM supposedly carried by Hy at Carthage jail, and the latest "I am not a dodo" testiness directed at the BBC's Sweeney, say to me that inwardly Holland is fighting the feeling the whole thing is hogwash, to put it politely. As Queen Gertrude observed to Hamlet, "Methinks the lad(y) doth protest too much."

Whatta-y'all-think-ly yrs,

S

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 04:58PM

if/when he becomes prophet it'll be non-stop entertainment

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 05:41PM

He'll become prophet alright. He's plenty young enough for his position in line to have a good long run in the big seat, barring any unexpected health complication. He'll be much funner than Monson, and possibly even funner than Hinckley. Unfortunately he'll be followed by a long agonizing stretch of Bednar.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 06:00PM

He's not looking very healthy, IMO. I can't see him living long enough to make Profit.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 08:21PM

kimball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He'll (Holland) be much funner than
> Monson, and possibly even funner than Hinckley.

NOT very likely! (Not a chance in MORmONDUMB)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wALvdgurB4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YEMX0VooD4

but Holland is very holy.... in a certain kind of way....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CiyrZd-kB0

> Unfortunately he'll be followed by a long
> agonizing stretch of Bednar.

correct on the agonizing part

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBvh-ijsoAU

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 11:31AM

Okay, you got me. Not as fun as Hinckley.

Posted by: utelaw07 ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 05:21PM

Might be cog dis, might not. Sometimes when you invest a substantial amount of time and energy in a lie, you're all in. You might have invested in the lie unknowingly but later discovered the truth. The price to come clean is higher than you are willing to pay, and so you take the lie to the bitter end.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 05:34PM

That's a cogent point of view, and here's a little spin on it:

It is possible to wrap deeply-held beliefs in a "fog" - kind of a mind-cyst. In that case, the conscious mind scrupulously avoids dissecting the belief - shielding itself from discovering the lie at all. And sometimes the fog lifts - then the fun starts.

Posted by: delt1995 ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 11:45PM

He knows it all (mormon history and doctrines) sounds absurd, that's why he defensive says (athough it sounds dumb), I am not stupid or "a dodo bird".

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 12:32PM

It's a reverse form of "ad hominum." Rather than trashing the character or intelligence of a critic, Holland touts his own mental powers and education. The implication is that nobody so smart and educated would believe obviously wrong stuff.

As usual, Mormons go to the PERSON rather than the evidence. Holland is given EVIDENCE and then touts his PERSON. The reverse happens when you go to your bishop with EVIDENCE and the bishop attacks your PERSON.

Date: April 05, 2012 01:21PM

When a man utters the remarkable phrase, "I am not stupid or 'a dodo bird'", my first thought is: either he's been hearing that a lot (in the affirmative), or, he's been thinking that a lot (again in the affirmative).

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 05:48PM

but think I is likely instead an increasingly visible case of righteous indignation. Personally I think his defensiveness is more about his own pride than it is any sign that he is open-minded enough to consider it all might be as crazy as it sounds. I think these guys are so far side the machine and so submerged in the myth that any sort of real world questioning feels like a slap in the face.

My guess is Holland's red-face rants are based in honest to goodness apostolic anger. I'll expect some dusting off of feet in the next interview.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 08:47PM

+1 to badseeds interpretation.

In the BBC interview, he was thrown for a loop.

If he knew it was all a lie, he would have been much more savvy about it. Smooth as butter. Because anyone who had to fake that much would have gotten pretty good at it.
RG

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 05:40PM

Holland wants to dismiss anything that contradicts his beliefs and boil it all down to faith and inspiration. He claims to be educated, but wants nothing to do with rational inquiry. It's all about feeling that it's true. What's that got to do with his education?

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 08:39PM

Cog-dis at his level will most likely be squashed. He has too much to lose.

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 11:19PM

Jeff Holland doesn't spend even a second of time entertaining the notion that it might not all be true. He honestly remains intentionally ignorant of the controversies and sees absolutely no value in studying anything he knows beyond a shadow of doubt to be an untrue waste of time. Jeff Holland is 100% sincerely and absolutely sure the Church and everything about it is 100% true. His testiness derives from impatience for what he perceives as idiots, not cognitive dissonance. You'll just have to trust me on this one, but I'm right.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 11:50PM

Especially the ones who ax basic questions like, "When was the last time you met face to face with Jesus?"

Idiots! Don't they understand??? This church is led by Jesus Christ. But that doesn't mean he comes down to actually say things to living people. He's busy.

Busy getting orders from Elohim and then relaying them word for word to Peter, James, and John. Then when they return and report, Jesus is responsible to relay that message word for word back to Elohim.

He's very busy!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2012 11:50PM by Raptor Jesus.

Posted by: utelaw07 ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 01:24PM

Which begs the question: why does Elohim, an omniscient being that sees and knows all, need a middle man? A game of telephone between two omniscient beings and three perfectly obedient servants, and the message never changes. God's plan IS perfect.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 12:00AM

+1

Date: April 05, 2012 01:16PM

I would think that the behavior you describe is rather normative for those in the LDS hierarchy.

Inevitably we must ask, is a mind so "trained" suitable for high political office?

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 11:39AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.