Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomo1985 ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 09:24PM

So, I've heard that young men (and women) save and pay for their own missions. I also read that the missionaries pay a flat monthly amount to the Church who then distributes an allotment based on where the missionary is serving (i.e., more expensive countries vs. less expensive countries).

So, I'm wondering, how much is a mission expected to cost? If a missionary gives the church money monthly while they are on their mission, what happens if the missionary mismanages their money and can't pay? How is health insurance handled? Or do they not have any?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 09:38PM

In the old days, each missionary was expected to pay his or her own way, helped by family and friends. If a missionary was sent to a cheap place, say like Peru, the cost might be $15/month, or if sent to an expensive place, like Tokyo or London, he might face a monthly cost of $700/month. Typically, parents would send a check each month to cover the costs. If he made out ok, then he was fine. If he ended up needing to pay for gas for a car, then the cost went up. Some missionaries can budget money and some can't just like all people.

Some years ago, in order to equalize the impact, the church charged a flat amount per missionary ($400 or $450, can't remember which), for all missionaries coming out of the US or Canada. So, if you went to Peru, you paid $400 and subsidized someone else. If you went to London, someone subsidized you. Additionally, the mission receives the money, pays rent and other costs directly to land lords, etc., and then gives an amount to the missionary for food and incidentals. Sadly, the amount left for food often ends up being $3-$4 per day. If the missionary got a hair cut, he does not eat for a few days, or hopes for dinner appointments.

Finally, at the time the equaliziation occured, the church also changed the program, in that the parents or others supporting a missionary donate to the ward missionary fund, in the name of the missionary. Each month, the church pulls the amount from the ward missionary fund, whether the parents or others put anything in. Hopefully, the ward has built a bit of a buffer.

BUT, that money can be used as the church sees fit. As there is now no official connection between the amount donated by the parents and the amount received by the missionary, the parents can deduct the full amount as a charitable donation on their taxes.

Sadly, this has had an interesting effect, in that the missionary is now deemed an employee of the church, since the church pays all his expenses (whether directly or indirectly). As a result, missionaries in some countries are now being booted (Switzerland) since they do not have work visas. When Switzerland did this, the church screamed persecution (SOP). The Swiss did not back down.

Hope this answers a few questions.

Date: April 04, 2012 09:46PM

Thanks for the info Crathes and anonymous. This is helpful and informative!

Posted by: anonymous ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 09:43PM

Some missionaries save for their missions. Most parents pay for the mission. For those who don't have the financial resources the ward can pay for the mission. The money is given to the ward monthly ($450 I think is the going rate) and put in the ward missionary fund. That way it can be used as a tax deduction to the donor. The missionary is then given a stipend each month for personal needs, somewhere around $130, not near enough to eat well or provide much else.

The church likes the parents to carry the missionary on their insurance. However, many insurance companies don't cover wherever the missionary may serve. Our son servd overseas and our insurance wouldn't cover him. He did end up needing medical services. The mission office called me to see if we could pay the $1500 bill. I told them there was no way we could do that, the church paid the bill.

Date: April 04, 2012 09:46PM

Thanks anonymous. This is helpful!

Posted by: lazarus ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 09:49PM

When I was on my mission in South America (99 - 01), I heard a few examples of kids in south america going on missions and coming back with a debt to the ward. Typically, members or family would commit to help pay the monthly amount, but then stop paying. The ward would keep a tally on how much the missionary owed and expect him to repay it upon return.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 11:20PM

some of us cynics say that the Main Reason for this was that one of the Mo Royalty made a STINK with the IRS about not (previously) being able to deduct the costs of missions; under the present system, parents & relatives can.

this is another SELL-OUT by mormons, in favor of mammon;
the rule used to be that targeted donations weren't allowed as deductions; now they are under the 'averaged' system.

'True Colors', guys; Aren't you 'proud'?

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 12:34AM

I wonder what the commission is on most of the mental cases and undocumented aliens they drag to church.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 12:35AM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 12:38AM

Someone's been smoking a bit too much.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 01:05AM

My Dad paid for numerous missions when he was actively farming. He was well off and would find out about young people who couldn't afford to go on missions and would fund them anonymously. My brother and I didn't go on missions so I guess this might have had something to do with that...but I doubt it....he was just a very generous man....and then in his senior years a "good Mormon" asshole fucked him out of his retirement nest egg in a real estate deal....go figure...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 01:06AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 06:48AM

QUOTE "and then in his senior years a "good Mormon" asshole fucked him out of his retirement nest egg in a real estate deal....go figure..."

Sounds like MORmONISM to me !!!!

just be glad Brigham young or pervert Joe did n't get to him, they would have sucked all his blood out and turned it in for cash at the plasma clinic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rxGQFELVlI

Date: April 05, 2012 06:16AM

OK, Just Returned, you had me going for a bit there. Thanks for the great laugh!

Posted by: duffy ( )
Date: April 05, 2012 06:33AM

I was talking to a TBM friend recently, who told me a friend of hers is going on a mission. (This friend is a widow who went to her bishop for advice on what to do about her house. He told her he was inspired that she go on a mission.)

Anyway, I asked how this woman would be able to pay for a mission since my understanding was that it was now a flat fee of around $400 per month, no matter where you go. And this woman has some money troubles. My friend made a face at that number and told me it was MUCH more than that.

Anybody know the current rate?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 06:34AM by duffy.

Date: April 05, 2012 07:34AM

Senior missionaries pay based on location. Typically $800-$1800/month. If a couple, it ranges on the higher side, and depends on the location.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.