Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 11:17AM

She wants to but wont because of obvious convention. But is there a rule against this?

I also mentioned to her that no Sunday School President has ever been a woman in my memory. She said that yes, she has no idea why that is. It isn't like women can't teach Sunday School and men can't teach primary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sam ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 11:43AM

I am not sure what the handbook says but a Bishop will not allow a man to be in the Primary Presidency and a women to be in the SS Presidency. I believe it is church policy but it is also based on tradition. If the Bishop thought it was okay, he would likely ask the SP and would get a big no. I base this on experience as I have seen this presented before at least twice (the SS one not the primary one).

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 12:23PM

If it's not in the handbook, then it's one of those unwritten rules.

But even if the church had men in their primary presidencies, it still isn't true.

Date: April 08, 2012 12:43PM

amos2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But even if the church had men in their primary
> presidencies, it still isn't true.

To her it is true regardless of their rules. I'm just glad she can see how ridiculous their rules are.

Date: April 08, 2012 12:50PM

It is a ridiculous rule (like many other things in mormonism

TBM's typically just accept whatever it is

Posted by: anonymous ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 12:58PM

When I was primary pres. I had several men teachers, that was unusual at that time. I think the handbook says the president should choose worthy women as counselors. It's not doctrine but it is a practice. ;)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 01:08PM

subject for a Sunstone article, No Doubt.

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 01:19PM

When I first went to church, in 1975, before the consolidated program, I am pretty sure we had a female Sunday School president. That was in the London North Ward, which was in the St Albans Stake (UK) at the time.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 01:48PM

Wow what a cool thing that was.

Posted by: Yorkie ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 03:28PM

Back in 1979 in a branch I attended (also in the UK) we had a female counselor in the Sunday School Presidency, but shortly after a new policy designated men only so she was released.

Posted by: Mark Brasher ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 01:46PM

I believe it is because of the type of issue mentioned by SWK in "It Will be a Miracle if You are Ever Forgiven." SWK was worried about men and women being in a situation where they might be alone with someone of the opposite sex other than his or her spouse. There would be too great a chance that if members of the presidency missed planning meetings that a man and woman would be alone together.

This brings up the question of whether extreme views on sexuality lead to an obsession with sex. I don't have many colleagues (other than the old farts) who are interested in the women they work with. The younger guys and gals might be interested if there is truly compatability. People in more progressive cultures seem to view people of the opposite sex as something other than sperm- or egg-donors.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 12:26AM

Is that why the only place you are allowed to have a mixed presidency is in a YSA or single adult group?

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 02:11PM

The reason they won't do it is because it would subordinate the priestood. The primary organization is an auxillary.

Explanation:

The primary presidency serves under the direction of the Bishop. This is because the Bishop is the Presiding High Priest of the Ward. This keeps the Priestood as *the* authority.

Men can serve in the Primary as teachers/workers because the Primary Presidency are merely "advisors," obtaining their authority to "advise" through the Bishop. So a teacher is not a subordinate. If there is a problem with the Primary, a person would go to the Bishop for resolution. The bishop holds the keys to the primary organization and everything done in Primary is through his direct authority and the Primary presidency's indirect authority.

Having a man as a Primary counselor directly subordinates him to the Primary President, which is an unacceptable position for any priestood holder. This is not allowed.

It is a tremendous bunch of nonsense, but this was how it was explained to me during a bishop's leadership training meeting I attended in '98.

Date: April 08, 2012 02:53PM

That makes sense Lost--thanks!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 05:43PM

Women are only supposed to be in charge of other women and children.

All women are under male leadership. It is not the other way around, even partially.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 11:44PM

Ha. My TBM daughter was just ranting about this this weekend. Going on about how she would make a fine SS Pres, and how ridiculous the rules were.

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 03:34AM

She'd probably be a better Bishop too. Has she thought of that?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 08:14AM

The sacred sh!t of authority rolls only downhill, from penis holders to baby makers to their spawn. (At least officially. We all know of many LDS families where the wife has her celestial companion by the nut sack.)

Posted by: Flat Lander ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 08:31AM

indicates specifically that a "sister" must be called as the Primary President, but doesn't ever specifically address the gender of the counselors, nor does it even refer to the gender of the counselors with feminine pronouns.

Interesting, isn't it. I think it is an oversight, and would encourage your wife to point this out and submit the name of a man. That name will be rejected, but I think she should do it anyway.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 02:06PM

This is actually the issue that got my dad started on the path to Jack-Moism. He was called as SS Pres, and chose a woman as one of his counselors. He was so appalled at the way the bishop balked at that ("But she's a WOMAN!"), he refused the calling and never accepted another one. This was in the late 80s, I think.

Date: April 09, 2012 11:07PM

judyblue Wrote:
> This was in the late 80s, I think.

Or as Pappi Bush would have said in the early 90s, "Wouldn't be prudent."

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 09, 2012 11:59PM

Being alone with another man's wife is the problem.

The pronouncement came down at the same time that no man was allowed to give a woman a ride home where they were alone in a car. You see, the sheep cannot be trusted with Christ's ridiculous Free Agency. They have to be kept separated like rutting farm animals.

One of my most embarrassing moments was when I was meeting with a woman over a calling and she had a sick child. She asked her husband to give me a ride home and he went upstairs and fetched a teenager out of bed to come with us.

I call it the day I became Just A Vagina. I had actually never thought of her husband as a "man" but once he required protection from being alone with me, I realized he thought of me as attractive.

So you see it actually backfired.

Anagrammy

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 12:04AM

Elder Berry Wrote:

> I also mentioned to her that no Sunday School
> President has ever been a woman in my memory. She
> said that yes, she has no idea why that is. It
> isn't like women can't teach Sunday School and men
> can't teach primary.

From "On This Day in Mormon History:"

"Aug 19, 1979 - By authorization of one apostle, Ann Kenney is set apart as stake Sunday School president of University of Utah 2nd Stake. A counselor in the stake presidency, assures her that he has been "strongly impressed" to issue the calling and also had a general authority approve the calling. Apostle Ezra Taft Benson, president of Twelve, requires her release month later by his definition that Sunday School president must have Melchizedek priesthood."

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 01:59AM

Yep, its ALWAYS about the priestood...

Date: April 10, 2012 08:16AM

baura Wrote:
> requires her release month later by his
> definition that Sunday School president must have
> Melchizedek priesthood."

Why? That is ridiculous. Teaching "The Gospel" requires some SS priesthood? So women can't administer the teaching of "The Gospel" but they can in any other form of human education?

Mormon Jesus is pretty lame.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 09:58PM

baura Wrote:
> "Aug 19, 1979 - By authorization of one apostle,
> Ann Kenney is set apart as stake Sunday School
> president of University of Utah 2nd Stake.

Sunstone founder Scott Kenney's sister.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 09:06AM

Hmmm...

EB, In another thread you talk about how you have told your wife about your unbelief. Now you tell us she wants to call a man to work as her Primary counsellor.

I may be a million miles off base, so please forgive me.
But I'd suggest keeping your eyes and ears open and insisting that Presidency meetings take place at your house whilst you are home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2012 09:07AM by Stumbling.

Date: April 10, 2012 09:29PM

Stumbling Wrote:
> But I'd suggest keeping your eyes and ears open
> and insisting that Presidency meetings take place
> at your house whilst you are home.

I do.

As for calling a man, she gets along better with men than women. I've kept my eyes and ears open for a long time.

She knows that at any time she can end it. I'm more worried about her fidelity to the morg than to me. She knows who loves her more but likes to think she loves Mormon Jesus more.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 11, 2012 08:19AM

Sadly, it is usually the case that ones TBM spouse loves the Church more than they love you. I suspect that is true in my situation although I have never tested it to the extent that you are currently.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 10:38PM

Date: April 11, 2012 08:11AM

It would be interesting to say the least to see something only women are perceived ever doing being done by a man assisting a women who is over him. LOL!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.