Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 04:38PM

With everything sorounding Mitt being the nominee, I have a question. How come the public never raises the same concerns about the Senate majority/minority leader Harry Reid? He is a Mormons convert and a Democrat and as far as anyone knows the Morg has not tried to influence or control him at all. I understand that the Majority leader and President are completly different things, Reid has been a posterboy for the church's line, "we dont get involved in politics" also Reid is a convert not born and raised like Mitt Romney, is it just because Romney is running for President that Mormonism has goten this much scurnity? I would like to hear everyone's opinions and insights, thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2012 04:41PM by tombs1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 04:43PM

... Reid holds these positions as a result of special, narrow interest group favoritism, not because he enjoys country-wide support for being a Mormon.

I suspect that the fact Reid's a Democrat and a convert doesn't bother many Mormons; what ultimately counts to them is that he's a Mormon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2012 04:45PM by steve benson.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 05:34PM

"I suspect that the fact Reid's a Democrat and a convert doesn't bother many Mormons; what ultimately counts to them is that he's a Mormon."

While he certainly gets trotted out on the Web every time the notion of monolithic mormon voting is discussed, most of the mormons I know personally don't seem to consider him a "real" mormon.

I don't know if it is his political persuasion, his convert status, personality, etc ...

Posted by: sdee ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 04:43PM

The first thing that comes to mind is that he is a democrat. People may not take him seriously as a Mormon because his political party doesn't exactly line up with the Church - despite what it says about not getting involved in politics. As a democratic Mormon, he's not a "real" Mormon. Not as threatening.

(Just a thought.)

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 04:51PM

I like Reid because he supports gay rights, cares about the environment and eschews the Prosperity Gospel that has seized the LDS Church.

Mormons love Romney because he is rich, and in their Prosperity Gospel that means he is righteous. I find him to be an entitled silver spoon with the intellectual depth of his Brill cream jar.

Posted by: rosemary ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 05:26PM

I've been wondering about the animosity toward Mitt on the basis of his religion. (And I'm not saying that as a supporter or not.) I have plenty of animosity toward the church for sure, but even so, I know plenty of faithful members I would trust in a position of political authority (as much as anyone, which is pretty much no one!)

All politicians are beholden to particular groups, even when they pretend not to be. How is Mitt so different?

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 05:38PM

A black man beating a Mormon will drive Mormons nuts. Turns out Mitt has his own Jeremiah Wright problem and it's pure fun to watch.

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 05:46PM

Mormon politicians will unite and go somewhat outside their positions in under to influence the government or governments of other nations to do things that the church wants and will benefit the church. Whether or not it was the church's idea or the LDS politician's idea will not generally be revealed.

Here's one example:

http://www.mormonthink.com/mittromney.htm#swiss

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 06:45PM

arrest and indefinitely detain "enemy combatants" or send assassin drones to kill them.

And who knows, with a mo in the Oval Office, would exmos eventually be regarded as "terrorists"??? I think it's not THAT far of a stretch...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2012 06:46PM by helamonster.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 10:04PM

Yes it is.

Posted by: archaeologymatters ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 07:23PM

I'm not a Democrat but it is no secret that Democrats don't push their religion on people the way Republicans do. They often are more "liberal" in how they practice their religion as well.

Of course even more important than that is there is a huge difference between the Presidency and the Senate Majority Leader. Senate Majority Leader is a powerful position, but it is nothing compared to being POTUS. Being the most powerful man in the world is what Mitt is working on.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 10:11PM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 10:12PM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 10:20PM

He looks like someone who might come to your door trying to get you to read the Book of Mormon. He wants everything that the Mormon church wants. People think he's a robotic tool of the Mormon church.

Harry Reid seems only a Mormon in name only.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 10:31PM

If Reid were a former Bishop and Stake President I bet things would be different.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.