Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 08:21PM

We've heard all kinds of 'half-lies' from ChurchCo lately
(perhaps more recanting?)

What's the BIGGEST WHOPPER they've told lately?...Or, the Biggest Whopper they've recanted?

as much documentation as possible,Please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 08:53PM

See one Elder Holland

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 10, 2012 09:13PM

I agree his stmnts were misleading...
but I didn't catch any Whoppers

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 02:28PM

guynoirprivateeye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but I didn't catch any Whoppers

I think his biggest whopper was when he said he wasn't a dodo :-)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 11, 2012 12:32AM

The biggest whoppers I've heard here lately are that jesus was an actual person and also that Nazareth existed during the time of this pretend jesus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2012 12:33AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: 8thgeneration ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 01:51PM

This whopper was taught last week in priesthood from the Lorenzo Snow manual.

"When Joseph Smith received his divine calling, he was a pure, sincere, honest young man.

Joseph Smith, whom God chose to establish this work, was poor and uneducated, and belonged to no popular denomination of Christians. He was a mere boy, honest, full of integrity, unacquainted with the trickery, cunning and sophistry employed by politicians and religious hypocrites, to accomplish their ends."

Kind of misses the point about being convicted of being a con man. Let alone starting up an illegal bank, sleeping with teenagers and other mens wives.

The church has nicely redefined honest, full of integrity and unacquainted with trickery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 01:52PM by 8thgeneration.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 02:54PM

That lesson made me want to scream. The teacher told us that Joseph was "PERFECTLY honest...he never even told a little white lie in order to save himself from undue persecution". BS!!!

"I knew Joseph Smith to be an honest man, a man of truth, honor and fidelity, willing to sacrifice everything he possessed, even life itself, as a testimony to the heavens and the world that he had borne the truth to the human family.”

Hmmm...sounds like Lorenzo Snow didn't know him at all. Did he even know of the circumstances surrounding his death? It had nothing to do with his testimony.

"As to [Joseph Smith] being a man of truth and honor I, nor any one else that knew him, have any reason to question for a moment."

What about all the APOSTLES that left him? Most of those closest to him recognized him as a fallen prophet, criminal, adulterer, etc...

Posted by: soju ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 03:59PM

My favorite Joseph Smith tall tale is when they make a big to-do about his not drinking whiskey when getting surgery as a kid... implying that he followed the word of wisdom (at great sacrifice) even then. Twenty years later... yeah, lots of beer, wine, and so forth. Funny how they never talk about *that.*

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 02:09PM

The biggest whopper:

The very first time one of the LDS dinosaurs uttered the phrase, "I don't know that we teach that."

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 02:45PM

I was expecting something else entirely from this thread.

<slides back down into the gutter>

Posted by: cynthus ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 02:55PM

Yea - I was expecting the merits of home-made hamburger vs. fast food. *sigh I am hungry--

Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 03:03PM

spaghetti oh Wrote:
> I was expecting something else entirely from this
> thread.
>
>

Not all that surprising since your name is your self-proclaimed exclamation upon seeing the FSM's noodly appendage.

I still chuckle every time I see your name and remember your explanation.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 04:14PM

<hangs head in shame>

;-)

Posted by: pamelaf3211 ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 02:52PM

The missionaries told me they "didn't know" and would have to ask someone regarding my question about IF I could be sealed to my children in the temple even though my husband is not a member.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 03:16PM

Yep, they were just lying to your face.

They have been taught how to lie. This video shows the process:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zA-rZQB-xQ

Date: December 11, 2013 03:32PM

spanner Wrote:
> Yep, they were just lying to your face.
>
> They have been taught how to lie. This video shows
> the process:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zA-rZQB-xQ

Dude says, "It may be wiser to say, 'That's an interesting question, it has been asked frequently. Well let me begin this way" (insert the story of Joseph Smith's life here). "I'm going to answer the question, with the question he SHOULD HAVE ASKED".

Distraction in the deepest degree. WOW. I've been duped. How do they feel so proud of sending their kids out to LIE?? How can they sleep at night knowing their young teens are send to do this? The thing is, I kept hounding and hounding my missionaries when I was converted. And they kept diverting and diverting me and not answering. Finally, I said, "Why don't you ever answer me except with things that don't even relate to my question". The response was, "Because what we are saying DOES relate to your question. In our religion, we believe in a principle called MILK BEFORE MEAT" (and then they went on to discuss why a new member is like a baby and cannot digest meat but only milk, blah blah blah).

The thing is, that kind of rhetoric will insult an intelligent person and push them away, as it finally did me. :( It's just so insulting. Do they think we're stupid?

Posted by: cynthus ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 03:39PM

I will answer with a quote from the pastor on The Simpsons "Yes, but-- No, if." ;-)

Date: December 11, 2013 03:57PM

cynthus Wrote:
> I will answer with a quote from the pastor on The
> Simpsons "Yes, but-- No, if." ;-)

bwahahahahahaha....

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 04:01PM

Biggest whopper i saw and heard was Gordo Hinckster implying to the press that church financial statements are available to the members.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 05:44PM

That was a huge whopper. I remember that one. Pants on fire.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 04:02PM

You can't be happy unless you're a righteous Mormon.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 05:39PM

Or successful. When I was a little boy I assumed that everyone on TV was Mormon, because my father told me there was no success outside the church.

Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 08:26PM

The LDS church made movie "Legacy" is one of the biggest collection of lies in a single media piece, especially how they never mention the 30+ wives of Smith, his Masonic connections leading to his having a very high rank in the Masonic local lodge, or the trouble that the Danites were inciting by robbing and stealing from non-Mormons which led to so much violence blamed on the "evil mobs."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 08:27PM by raiku.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.