Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: April 12, 2012 12:01PM

Anyone tried GCBE? Seriously I think it would be funny if treatment for modern health risks (weight, diabetes, inflammation ) was the coffee bean. I came across the research while looking for beans to roast at home. I decided to boil some greenis beans to get some extract and have been adding it to cold water with a sugar free flavored drink mix since Monday. I sure pee a lot.... but my ankles are not as puffy and I have lost 7 lbs without watching my diet. I know the extract can be purchased in capsule form. My TBM dad read information I sent him on it and he is buying some for Mom to try to see if it helps stabilize her blood sugar. He says its not the same as "drinking" an addictive substance if used medicinally. It seems to wake me up but I am not jittery. Just curious of anyone elses experience.

http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=132201

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2012 10:50AM by Taddlywog.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 12, 2012 06:25PM

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 12, 2012 06:43PM

Posted by: Fool Yourself ( )
Date: April 12, 2012 10:12PM

That would be pretty funny for the Mormon's who live on the edge!

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 13, 2012 10:54AM

I don't go for the whole herbal thing myself. Not that I don't trust herbs, but I don't trust the multi-billion dollar companies that package them with little to no regulation. However, if you find a product that seems to work, or works for others, then by all means go for it.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 13, 2012 10:57AM

for my diabetes. I'd prefer the capsule form.

No--I don't trust all herbs, but I also don't trust all meds and I certainly don't trust the medical community or the drug companies either.

Date: April 13, 2012 07:25PM

I don't trust business because I work in big business and understand how things get monetized to make profit. Something so readily available as unroasted coffee beans doesn't inflate a high enough return on investment. They will have to identify or create hazards and purification processes to make the claim their product is better and justifies a higher price. I bet we see this in the next few years. I don't really think coffee beans are herbal medicine. Our drugs extract many nutrients and chemicals from nature. Not all natural ingredients are safe and the caffeine content in coffee extract is low as well as the "harmful" ingredients that are produced while coffee is roasted are not present in the raw form. Granted the roasted bean tastes better.

I think I am going to act on Benson's jello suggestion. Only I have blue jello in the cabinet.... I will return and report on whether the extract in water form is good as a gelatin desert!

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 07:26AM

You can find it at a local health food store.

Make sure to read the possible side effects section.
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1264-GREEN%20COFFEE.aspx?activeIngredientId=1264&activeIngredientName=GREEN%20COFFEE

Oop. Just realized this was from 2012 and someone dredged it back up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2013 07:33AM by fidget.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 17, 2012 11:49AM

Topping for more exposure...

Posted by: sonia ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 07:24AM

I am also interested in green coffee extract and have been doing some diggin around. This Doctor Oz seems to be saying good things about it in his TV show. The case study done by him in his TV show here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0mqeq6EeJ8 seems to be pretty convincing. I may give it a try based on the results some of those women have seen in that video.

sonia

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 08:43AM

A Mormon solution! The rest of us keep our blood sugar under control by....drinking coffee! It works. It reduces depression also because it helps keep the blood sugar in balance and it is the amount of blood sugar which affects the serotonin in the brain.

Date: June 19, 2013 08:43AM

I don't take it regularly because I think it is overpriced. It's like an extra $35/ month and I don't always have that much extra to feel comfortable to spluge on my budget regularly. (Imagine if I have to pay tithing).

However I did loose 10 lbs when I took it that I regained when I stopped. I don't know about other people but I felt like my muscles felt more awake while I took it. Like they handled activity better. Especiallt my legs. And that positive feeling lasted a while after I stopped taking it.

There are a lot of what appear to be inexpensive products out there but if you read the lable you have to take more capsuls to get the recommended dosage. I tried to make my own extract to save money. You can get unroasted beans pretty cheap... but it is impossible to grind green beans with consumer grinding prosucts. And the dosing is impossible to know. I even made a green coffee mash soaked in vodka as an extract attempt. I called it green Kalula. But it was a lot of work so I thought just buying good quality pills was worth it.

I know some on here poo poo herbal stuff. I am not so quick to throw the baby out with the bath water. Scientific testing reuires money. Big pharma has to do cost analasis to justify experimentation. If something doesnt make sense to study due to easy inexpensive accessibility why invest? I don't test herbals on myself with out my doctors knowledge.

I love the positive health benefits of coffee! Contrary to the word of wisdom it continues to yield better press! I roast my own beans because I can pick up some fancy beans that make taste coffee at Salt Lake Roasters that are about half price purchased unroasted.

A couple of herbal remedies that work for me.
Magnesium for insomnia or skin infection. I like the 400 mg capsules at Cosco since I can break them open and rub them on my skin. Careful if you have kidney issues. It's a natural relaxant and if I feel anxious after a wound day at work
Taking magnesium at dinner insures I will fall to sleep around 10. I like it more than benedryl because I don't get a drowsy hang over the next day.

Maca Root powder- I am in my late 40s and getting peri meno symptoms night sweats and hot flashes. General miserable feelings. Also I have always had PMS. When I take maca it goes away. I don't take it all the time. You can feel it coming on. I just add maca to yogurt for a couple of days and I feel zen.

I like Lohan Kuo for coughing. I have shared this with friends and family with positive results. It is also known as Monk fruit. You can find it at almost any Asian market around SLC for under $2 a (green) box of 24 servings. It is a cube of the fruit ground and dehydrated that dissolves in warm water to make a drink.

I am trying trifala right now. I like the results for digestion. I don't know about cholesterol reduction... my next doctor visit might show that. I bought a pound of the loose powder and filled gelcaps. Seems like I will get 3 months suppy this way so not terribly expensive.

I stopped eating wheat products and my chronic post nasal drip went away. I will eat some wheat occasionally and understand when I have congestion after. One of my sons quit athsma meds by giving up wheat and one of my sisters found the same thing. There is no science to support this. Just personal experience and we are all different.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 12:56AM

I don't know about the claims I've heard made for them but apparently they're high in fiber and important nutrients. They're also supposed to be tasteless and you just mix a tablespoon or two into a drink and they go right down.

Date: June 20, 2013 01:27AM

And give me lots a gas...

Posted by: Lilith ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 12:41PM

How did you DO it? I too have unresolved/ undiagnosed throat/sinus issues and suspect wheat. Any tips?

Posted by: no mo lurker ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 12:52PM

Actually I've been gluten free (no wheat, barley or rye) for 2 years. It makes life a little harder, but is not impossible. I have Celiac Disease so my body treats the gluten protein like poison. Celiac can cause a lot of related health disorders, like anemia, malnutrition, diabetes, thyroid problems, arthritis and other autoimmune disorders. There are also a whole class of people who are "Non Celiac Gluten Intolerants." These people test negative for the disease but still have problems if they consume gluten. Personally I think it's all one spectrum of gluten intolerance, but doctors don't quite agree yet.

I have a lot of sinus problems - continual drainage, infections several times a year, etc. I suspect mine is from dairy. I've tried eliminating dairy from my diet several times, but honestly I find it easier to give up wheat than butter and cheese. For many Celiacs the issue with dairy is Casein, which is a protein, just like Gluten is. If you don't want to give up wheat, I would suggest trying to eliminate dairy first.

There's a really great book about Celiac and Gluten Intolerance called "Healthier Without Wheat." I recommend it. Also www.celiac.com is a great website with an active forum.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 10:00AM

If you've been peeing a lot, then most of your weight loss is probably from pee. In other words, you might be dehydrating. Be sure to drink sufficient straight water.

Posted by: hope ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 10:56AM

I have been using this for awhile now in powdered form. I purchased it from purebulk.com. I mix just 1/8 teaspoon in my morning chug-a-lug drink I make and it wakes me up and gives me energy throughout the day without a crash or feeling jittery like a cup of coffee. Buying it in bulk form is definitely more economical (16.50 for 100 grams). It goes a long way. Runners use it, I believe, in their training - though I am not a runner. I do think it contributes to my metabolism burning, but I eat healthy and exercise too. I'm in the best shape of my life - 52 with 3 kids. I like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2013 11:00AM by hope.

Posted by: maggi ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 12:35PM

i've been looking into green coffee extract too. This Doctor Oz seems to be saying good things about it in his study on his TV show. The case study done by him on his TV shown here [B]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0mqeq6EeJ8[/B] seems to be pretty convincing. I may give it a try based on the results some of those women have seen in that video.

Maggy

Posted by: maggi ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 05:36AM

The link i posted has been taken down by YT for some reason. Here is another video by Dr Oz on his TV show here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_w4G4vJVmA which discusses how good Green coffee extract is

Maggy

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 12:41AM

My wife has been having some success with weight loss with it.

I myself take several supplements, notably saw palmetto with pygeum for postrate health. Bear in mind that a lot of the things on alternative health care shelves are backed up with anecdotal evidence. Now this is more valuable than testimonies about what the garment does for you, but it's not hard science, either.

Read up on things, ask serious questions, and pay careful attention to changes in your weight, sleep and mood, metabolism, etc. Guard against "confirmation bias," where you select data to support your decision to take a product or practice a regimen.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 04:01AM

I don't use the extracts, but I do use green coffee ground beans as a source of brew for rectal implant. Stimulating, but works on different nerve pathways than when ingested orally, so no brain jitters. Very cleansing to the blood and bowel, and stimulating to the liver and blood filtration. Once a week is plenty for me, if I feel the need.

Only about $8lb when purchased in 5lb bag. And the boiled grounds can be pan-toasted and brewed a second time for a pleasant mild drink. High in theobromine!

Posted by: studmuffin ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 12:53PM

I've been taking it in pill form since last winter. I am not really over weight, but took it to try and get cut and get some definition or maybe lose some fat. I work out quite a bit. I've lost about 15 lbs since last December. I'm down to the weight I was when I ran a marathon. But I honestly have exercised less than usual.

It has been slow and gradual. My doctor was wondering why I lost weight, I didn't volunteer anything. He thought it was odd that I actually lost weight during the winter, I usually gain 10 or so in the cold winter months.

I think the way that it works is that it keeps your blood sugar level down. It has been slow and steady for me. I'm not sure if I want to stop taking it. I'm basically down to my ideal weight. My guess is that it probably also helps prevent diabetes due to the blood sugar effect.

You can find it reasonably priced on the internet if you look around. Don't go to a local health food store and pay retail, it is overpriced in the local stores.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 02:26AM

Okay? I can get it on the internet? I will look it up and talk it over with my doctor, she is always up for new things, and is honest in appraising them. Thanks you blokes!!

Date: August 17, 2013 11:21AM

I recently found tablets (not capsules) at Costco for a really good price. It seems to keep my legs feeling more energetic. I don't know how else to describe it but I don't feel like I am dragging my buttocks around when I take it vs don't take it. And I drink a couple of cups of coffee most days. It's different than the caffeine effect from regular coffee.

Everyone is different. I don't think pharmacies have the monopoly on chemically recreating what may be available in nature. My doctor says let her know so she can check for interactions then try it and see if it makes a difference. She said natural remedies don't get funded for research because they when they are so available the profit potential is not as great.

For example my husband and I both take Trifala. I buy the powdered form and it is fairly in expensive. I buy capsules and have a little filling machine that makes quick work out of getting the bitter powder safely out of reach of out tongues. We both see digestive benefits. My doctor said if I was on a Station there would be a potential interaction in the liver on this supplement. Funny thing is Trifala is also suggested to help keep ldl and triglycerides lower.

I don't see why natural remedies are automatically bad. We all know a crazy person or two but why throw everything out?

Posted by: thederz ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 03:21AM

I tease people and ask, "hey, is that the Green Bean Coffee extract?"

Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 03:34AM

My TBM mother considered herself an herbalist.
She read up on volumes of cure all herbs for years.

The end result was her getting carried off by the paramedics in a straight jacket.

Not just once. But 3 times. I wasn't there for the show, but, I tell you this just so you know. She considered herself one of the all knowing of herbalists.

She didn't get off of it until her family threatened to tell her bishop and get her excommunicated. She then got the message.

Before you get all excited about a cure all, stop and consider who is telling you this info. Are they making money????

Don't forget that TBM's and also X TBM's are susceptable to this kind of uneducated info.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 11:50AM

Some herbal remedies may actually even work more or less. But then fasting works too, if not as an aid to spirituality, it is an aid to brainwashing, which is the real goal for TSCC and other organizations that use fasting as a control technique. Just because something sort of works sometimes, doesn't make it a good solution.

A sure-fire way to reduce type 2 diabetes, lower weight and heart disease: eat less and exercise. Cost, zero. In fact, it saves you money. But it's unpleasant and hard for many people, and magic potions are easy, though potentially expensive and time consuming. So we tend to reach for the magic.

Posted by: hard6 ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 12:29PM

I've lost almost 50 pounds in the last 7 months. Down from 205 to 157, I'm 5'4". I just stopped eating a lot of crap, and exercise my butt off 6 days a week. No treatments, no herbs, no injections. If I can do it, anyone can.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.