Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 01:10AM

I got a book shop gift certificate for a pressie - yay! and I'm looking for a good fictional read. I normally read non-fiction... and sort of ignore fiction. But once in a while I like the escape of fiction.

I'm looking for a good escape... recommendations?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 01:15AM

The bible or the BoM for starters.

Then the rest of the 14 holy books.

Date: April 17, 2012 01:28AM

:-P

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 01:23AM

I've enjoyed:

The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo trilogy
True Blood novels
Lee Child - Jack Reacher novels
Michael Chrichton
If you like Star Wars, they have some entertaining books, I enjoyed the Han Solo trilogy

Haven't offered a synopsis, I'm figuring Amazon will do a better job at that than me!

Those are just a few of my favourites, I'm interested to see other people's suggestions too.

Happy reading!

Date: April 17, 2012 10:13AM

I liked the Millennium trilogy too - actually I loved it. I want to read something like that. I'll research your other suggestions, thanks!

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 01:24AM

They're young adult but with excellent storyline and plot development. Quite deep, really.

Also, if you like D&D-ish fantasy stuff there is the Sheepfarmer's Daughter triology by Elizabeth Moon -- really fun stories about a sheepfarmer's daughter in a medieval-ish society (with magic, elves and a few guest appearanced of gnomes and dwarves) who becomes a paladin. First time I've "met" a paladin I didn't want to smack. ;)

And anything by Jack McDevitt -- he's sci-fi. Moonfall was very interesting to me, in a depressing, let's-kill-off-most-of-the-characters-I-introduce sort of way. :)

Oh, and if you like mysteries and dogs try Susan Connant's series about a writer for Dog's Life Magazine and her two show Malamutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2012 01:25AM by Rebeckah.

Date: April 17, 2012 10:17AM

Hmm, I hadn't even considered The Hunger Games! I'm not bothered by the young adult category, most of my favourite books were books I read when I was in high school.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 02:18AM

I've been reading Wicked, and rather enjoy it. Already read "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" and thought it was a wonderful period piece. I normally read more manly fair, but of late I have been trying to overcome some of my social awkwardness by intentionally reading books that were meant for audiences other then myself.

Date: April 17, 2012 10:21AM

I just googled these and they look very interesting to me! Cool!

Posted by: rqt ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 11:17AM

Not to be a wet blanket but confessions of an ugly stepsister was one of the most boring books I have ever read :(.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 12:24PM

and Also "Mirror, Mirror" and "Son of a Witch" by the same author. They good, but the last one was a struggle for me.

I also echo on the Southern Vampires (Trueblood) and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. Also the Anita Blake or Meredith Gentry series by Laurell K. Hamilton if you want a guilty pleasure mixed with horror/fantasy.

Marion Zimmer Bradley books are good feminist fiction and the Dexter series is amusing. Anne Rice is always classic.

Posted by: archaeologymatters ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 02:27AM

Have you tried this fictional account of what happened in America a few thousand years ago?

Nevermind, it isn't that good.

Date: April 17, 2012 10:23AM

Haha, another smart ass! ;-) (not that I mind!)

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 02:46AM

Latter Day Deception is pretty good. Lots of truths in it about the mo language and temple stuff even though it is fiction.

Date: April 17, 2012 10:27AM

"even though it is fiction" heehee ;-)

Posted by: dominikki ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 10:14AM

The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop...hands down the BEST books I have ever read!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 10:23AM

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and my boyfriend started reading it. He is on the 3rd book now and said they just get better as they go along. The movie was excellent.

I saw the movie the Hunger Games and didn't like it much, but was intrigued enough to wonder what they left out. I just started the first book last night and I'm on page 100. Book is much better than the movie. I can't wait to read the second one as I know how the first one ends already.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 10:31AM

If you like fantasy, I don't think it gets better than "A Song of Ice and Fire." The first book is called "A Game of Thrones."

Posted by: davesnothere ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 10:32AM

If you like mystries/thrillers try James Rollins novels:

Subterranean
Excavation
Amazonia
Deep Fathom
Ice Hunt

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 10:38AM

Along the line of Hunger Games are:
Divergent - V Roth
The Giver - Lois Lower

If you don't have anough colorful realitives / neighbors, anything by Fannie Flagg is good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2012 10:38AM by nomilk.

Date: April 17, 2012 10:39AM

dominikki - The Black Jewels Trilogy looks like the kind of books that I have never read before. I'll look into them!

kimball - I'm not sure if I like fantasy as I've never really read that genre! But I'm willing to explore it... it makes sense in terms of my wanting escape.

cl2 - Love the Millenium series - haven't seen the US film but I've seen the three Swedish ones and they were excellent! Highly recommend them - Noomi Rapace will always be my Lisbeth Salander!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2012 10:40AM by spaghetti oh.

Date: April 17, 2012 10:50AM

Ah!!! I can't keep up with all of these recommendations! :D

davesnothere - I do like thriller/mystery films! And the description of Subterranean sounds especially creepy! :D

nomilk - The Giver by Lois Lower! I remember reading a review of that and thinking 'oooo must read that' and forgot all about it, thanks!

Thanks everybody! I enjoy seeing what other people read!

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 12:38PM

"A Game of Thrones" is not your standard fantasy. It's more like dark, realistic midieval fiction for adults, in which every once in a while you'll see a reference to magic (thus making it officially "fantasy")

Posted by: anon7 ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 10:49AM

I enjoyed "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. It's itimidating to look at (almost 1,000 pages) and the story at first glance appears to be boring as hell (European stone cathedral builders in 1200+AD) but it's a book that will blow you away with characters that you really come to know and an attention to detail that is amazing. Once you start reading it you soon realize that you don't want it to end.

Date: April 17, 2012 10:55AM

I saw the mini-series! :D It was great... I might consider the book but sometimes seeing the film first ruins the reading experience. I'll think...

Date: April 17, 2012 11:01AM

Keep them coming... but I have to bow out for now, work's a calling.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 11:58AM

The Big Over Easy & The Fourth Bear, a nursery crime by Jasper Fforde

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 12:08PM

I Know This Much is True - Wally Lamb

Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides

Destroying Angel - Charles Larson (yes, THAT Charles Larson - everything you ever thought of with respect to Mormonism and then some!)

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 12:13PM

The Stephanie Plum novels are my favorite guilty pleasure.

Pure-silly-escapism-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: the one and only ( )
Date: April 17, 2012 12:28PM

The passage by Justin Cronin

Super good read.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.