Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 10:51PM

Just some news from up here. The trial is getting a lot of coverage.

---

"A clinical psychologist from Utah on Thursday described the dark side of polygamy in fundamentalist Mormon communities."

Read more:
http://www.theprovince.com/life/Psychologist+describes+abuse+robotic+demeanour+polygamist+women/3919384/story.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mrs. Estzerhaus ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 11:14PM

Oh, HELL no! At least not the religious based kind of polygamy. Really gross. Please keep us updated on how this turns out.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 11:18PM

but that they'll finally start enforcing the polygamy laws. It's a travesty that they don't protect the children better -- although I know most people really don't "get" the problems with polygamy -- particularly with religiously mandated polygyny.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 11:27PM

This trial is the first step towards that... ie; the courts are attempting to decide whether Canada'a anti-polygamy laws are unconstitutional - are they (the current laws) violating protections of religious freedom, or not.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 11:47PM

it's not that much easier for most people to leave the monogamous kind. They don't hunt you down and drag you back kicking and screaming, but the belief about losing your salvation is almost as strong.

It's really the same religion. That was one of my big shocking realizations from reading Under the Banner of Heaven. The regular Mormon church may not be as extreme, but it's still extreme and at least half as weird.

A convergence of circumstances and coincidences including an interstate move, parents who were never really into it and reverted to inactivity at the same time, and a mostly inactive extended family made it super easy for me to leave. Few people can just walk away, like I did, and not get any crap from anybody.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 12:13AM by munchybotaz.

Date: December 03, 2010 12:12AM

Regular Mormons may seem to have more normal feelings, but there's a similar weird emotional culture where negative feelings aren't allowed and people who don't fit a certain mold are bombarded with disapproval.

Date: December 03, 2010 12:15AM

If not for that, I might still be Mormon. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 12:17AM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 05:23AM

From the links provided (and please keep us up-to-date, S-Oh, we have another who reports here regularly, but she's also buried with work obligations).

http://www.theprovince.com/life/Women+polygamous+Bountiful+happy+healthy+academic+testifies/3914180/story.html

>A professor who interviewed nearly two dozen women from the polygamous community of Bountiful, B.C., said they have happy, healthy lives, as well as control over their marriages, when they got pregnant and over their education.

>But, under cross-examination Wednesday at a constitutional reference case that is weighing Canada’s law against polygamy, McGill University law professor Angela Campbell admitted she had done little fact-checking to support the women’s stories.

Another link...

http://www.theprovince.com/life/Expert+testify+polygamy+case+after+intense+scrutiny+over+qualifications/3907849/story.html

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 07:08AM

Those perverts make me want to vomit. That's all I can say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 07:09AM by melissa3839.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.