Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michael ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 01:19PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: flo ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 01:45PM

Loved this gem:
"[Mormonism is] like I'm standing on a hill and can calmly organize the turmoil below."

Wow.

Guess that would be a hill of bull$#*& ?

Posted by: Haha ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 08:55PM

That sounds like the Tom Cruise interview when he was talking about a hypothetical Scientologist observing a car accident and knowing he was the only one who could really help. Made of kooky.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 02:54PM

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 07:43PM

Uh, never. Their theology is opposed to one another. In fact, the basic premise of mormonism - earning your way to celestial glory - is absolutely in conflict with Christianity. Many other doctrinal aspects of mormonism is contrary to christian teachings as well.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 08:42PM

Joseph Smith reinvented Christianity (some call it Twistianity)
which is a big no-no to devout Christians. You don't mess with and try to improve the gospel. Sacreligious blasphemy.

So I guess the day Bible believing Christians don't care about their holy books will be the day that pious America will make peace with pious Mormons.

Posted by: Schlock ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 09:00PM

The christianity practiced by most mainstream protestant churches today isn't even close to the gospel preached by the wandering, radical, ascetic mystic that was Jesus (as portrayed in the 4 canonized gospels). Or for that matter, is it close to the original christianity in its myriad expressions during the early years following the death of Jesus.

Let's have a little historical accuracy, at the least.

You're right, mormonism is differently wacky than most mainstream protestant christian churches are wacky, but arguing that it's more wacky is opinion, nothing more.

Anyway, What is with the argument: "Yours is wackier than mine, so mine has more merit than yours."? Huh? Wacky is wacky. How does one measure wacky? With a wacky-ruler?

http://www.vexen.co.uk/religion/christianity_historical.html

"'Christianity' as a single religion is not 2,000 years old. A series of varied different religions, flowing on from one another, have all called themselves 'Christian'. Rightly so. But the beliefs and form have changed so much from time to time that it is best to consider Christianity a series of religions and the word 'Christianity' to be an umbrella term for multiple faiths all of which have the same name but different beliefs. Unfortunately for hundreds of years until the Enlightenment, it was thought that modern-day Christianity in its various forms, represented early Christianity. It hardly does. Christianity now is quite varied, but in history the varieties were much more exotic."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 01:37AM

Historical accuracy of what ? A make believe story ?

Posted by: Schlock ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 12:34PM

Point well taken Dave.

I'm just trying to point out that the 'christianity' practiced today by many protestant churches today has very little in similarity to the erstwhile 'christianities' (100 - 500 CE) from whom today's 'christianity' claims provenance.

But your point was mine as well: How do you measure wacky? And who determines that wacky A is wackier than wacky B? Based on what metric?

The pink flying unicorn is less wacky than the flying spaghetti monster - says them. Okay, whatever. So when christian envangelicals scoff at the mormons for being bat$hit crazy, it doesn't mean that much to me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.