Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 07:00AM

I just read a post here about a child being derided for masturbating. Being questioned about it by his TBM mother, and his TBM therapist. It just makes me sick!!!!

Aren't there legal issues with this? Can't you report a parent for abuse when they follow their kid around interrogating them as to weather or not they masturbated today? Can you file sexual harassment suits on a bishop or MP or SP for boldly asking you if you masturbate???

I know if you asked someone a question like that in school, in the work place, or to someone outside the church or outside your family, you would have a MAJOR sexual harassment case on your hands. So why don't the same laws apply to bishops, as do bosses, co-workers, and strangers? How about that counselor? Does he really have a medical right to ask a child if he masturbates?

Sorry, I'm just really getting sick of their obsession with it. Its inappropriate, and really none of their business.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 07:02AM by melissa3839.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 07:16AM

To answer one of your questions, U.S. law gives a lot of authority to parents, including the authority to question their children about mastaurbation. That said, that same authority is not necessarily given to authority figures in a church--but the children involved or their parents have to file the charges and have the evidence to back them up. Unfortunately, when it comes to mastaurbation and other sexual issues, such cases wind up being a "he-said-she-said" issue.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 07:46AM

about masturbation, and whatever else LDS Inc regularly does. Unless parents explicitly withdraw consent, and an interrogation happens anyway, they don't have much of a legal leg to stand on.

The simple solution is that if an organization routinely does something of which you strongly disapprove, don't participate in the organization. Trying to make them not be what they are is a waste of time and energy.

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 08:56AM

Good points. I guess it just frustrates me the numbers these people have under their boot.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 09:22AM

For the medical staff yes but for Mormon offishals nope because its unpaid clergy that isnt redgesterd the same way. Parants basicly can do almost anything to thair children they beleve will keep them safe. Some states draw the line at life threataning behaviour of the parant some cant even prosicute when the childs dead.

The child can sometimes get leagal representation seprate from the parants but if the child dosent see anythings wrong with how they are treated yet its still harming them well its not good for anyone in the situation.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 11:56AM

As a general rule, people go on and on about whatever they themselves have problems with.

Therefore, it's not hard to figure out that the Twelve and all other GAs masturbated to kingdom come during their teens.

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 12:32PM

Speaking as a US lawyer, I can tell you this. Sexual harassment is not a crime. Sexual harassment is a private cause of action that applies only in the workplace. Thus, it is not illegal to question a child about sexual things unless that child is your employee. If you reported it to the authorities for criminal prosecution, there is no crime to charge. If you sued them for sexual harassment, it would get dismissed because it's not a workplace dilemma. The simple fact of the matter is that in the US, the First Amendment protects speech, and this sort of speech is protected. Thus, I am free to walk down the street sexually propositioning anyone I want to (so long as the completed sexual act isn't a crime, such as actual sex with a minor) or sexually harassing anyone I want to (even children). This is a bit of an overstatement, and there are some legal nuances to it, but this is generally the case.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.