Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tomclark ( )
Date: April 22, 2012 09:54AM

I read an article in the City Weekly here in Salt Lake this week wherein a comment was attributed to one of the GAs who said something to the effect that members were leaving the church en masse. Has this comment of his been verified and if so, what has been the fallout of such a revelatory statement? I don't pay much attention to the whole mormon thing anymore but it would seem to me that such a declaration would generate some serious backlash for both the GA and the adherents of mormonism.

If it's true that mormons are leaving the church in record numbers could this explain why the corporation is investing so much money in commercial ventures? To make up for lost revenue?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tomclark ( )
Date: April 22, 2012 10:35AM

That's excellent. Thank you. And it's exactly what I was looking for. Apparently Marlin's comments have been verified and can be taken with some degree of seriousness.

I've felt for many years now that the internet will be the undoing of mormonism as it can no longer keep adherents in the dark about its history. The Age of Information is beyond the church's reach and I don't think any amount of PR efforts will ultimately do any good. The Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith are albatrosses around the neck of mormonism and they're slowly but surely strangling it.

I wonder if the investment of 8 billion dollars in City Creek Mall was a result of trying to make up for lost tithing revenue. Any thoughts on that?

Posted by: E2 ( )
Date: April 22, 2012 11:13AM

I see City Creek Mall as basically the church showing their hand. They saw a steady decrease in tithing due to the Internet and decided they better cash out while they still can...

That said, I don't know if it will pull a profit, BUT at least they have something tangible the government won't touch. They've cashed out.

Posted by: Rose Park Ranger ( )
Date: April 22, 2012 11:36AM

City Creek exists because Crossroads Mall had a Borders that faced South Temple.

Literally across the street from the temple, you could buy an espresso or an anti-Mormon book.

So The Morg had the whole thing torn down so they could put up a Deseret Book in its place.

So much for the Power Of Discernment. Amazon was going to take out Borders anyway.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: April 22, 2012 11:16AM

I'm not in Utah but a TBM friend says the mall was an effort to prevent the area around the temple from decaying and becoming a crime infested blight.

Posted by: E2 ( )
Date: April 22, 2012 11:22AM

Yes, that's what the church says. But you can never believe what those in power say. Often times, those in power will make up believable excuses so as to hide their real intentions.

Posted by: Rose Park Ranger ( )
Date: April 22, 2012 11:32AM

Downtown is where the free clinics & homeless shelters are. If TBM legislators didn't keep cutting funding for the poor, there would be fewer homeless people committing crimes.

Yes, there are gangs out in Rose Park. If TBM businessmen didn't keep hiring undocumented immigrants, these immigrants kids wouldn't be here to join gangs.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 10:55AM

You can't just broad-brush the existence of crime onto undocumented immigrants. While it is certain that some are criminals, most are hard-working folks who have the same hopes and dreams for their families as you have for yours.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 22, 2012 11:34AM

But remember that Jensen was removed and placed in emeritus status right after he made those comments. Whether it was actually because he made the comments or not, LDS leaders can now accurately remark that the comments were not made by a current church leader. This is their MO, the way they operate, is it not?

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: April 22, 2012 11:35AM

The real issue may be the quality of people leaving. A convert who went to church a few times and then never shows up again is far different from a BIC-tithe-paying-RM-married in the temple member. I also wondered if they are referring to people who've official requested their name to be removed? An inactive member is still counted among the 14 million.

I wonder how many name removal requests the church is processing each day?

Posted by: ExMo27 ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 12:03AM

dk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The real issue may be the quality of people
> leaving. A convert who went to church a few times
> and then never shows up again is far different
> from a BIC-tithe-paying-RM-married in the temple
> member. I also wondered if they are referring to
> people who've official requested their name to be
> removed? An inactive member is still counted
> among the 14 million.
>
> I wonder how many name removal requests the church
> is processing each day?

what does BIC mean?

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 08:47AM

Born In the Covenant. (Meaning parents were married in the temple before child was born).

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: April 22, 2012 12:20PM

Or are they starting to accept this as an everyday event?

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: April 22, 2012 01:10PM

Marlin Jensen openly admitted that the exodus was the worst since Kirtland (after the church's illegal ponzi bank failed and Joseph Smith had to escape Ohio by night to sneak past vigilantes or posses).

I recall other recent clues:

Elder Holland's Oct 2009 talk was extremely defensive and he mentioned that the prophecy was occuring that in the last days even the very elect would be deceived. He flat out said that those who "leave this church" are deceived. Why mention it in general conference unless it's of general significance?

Another apostle said in conference that the church would remain small, as foretold in the BoM, yet would be established throughout the world (I think it's a strategy the church depends on to prop up many members' local experience that the church is anemic with tales of steady growth elsewhere. I often thought this as a TBM...The anemia was just in my local area...I figured the church was booming in other places).

Posted by: Steel ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 05:27PM

If all of you don't want to do with the Church and are happy with your life, why to bother in fighting against what you believe is worthless and powerless. Let me leave this for your to ponder:
This, the Church of the Lord in these latter days, it's a clear as the moonlight, as bright as the sun,and as strong as an army. Use your talents and time for a better cause. Peace to all.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 05:29PM

LOL!!!!! That was a lot of flowery words saying a whole lot of nothing. But thanks for stopping by! Strong as an army. Hahahaha!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 06:34PM

The French army comes to mind...

Seriously, Steel, (but no way Nephite steel), many of us oppose the mormon church in the Spoken Word, as well as the written word, because it harms people.

MPs from hell, meddling in politics to promote its religious dogma, being misogynistic and homophobic... Shunning those who love their families but leave the church...

You know what? Some Steel is used to make tools.

Date: October 31, 2016 06:56PM

Nothing like the French Foreign Legion. Those guys are bada$$.

Date: October 31, 2016 07:01PM

Yeah, that hoary old canard about the French always surrendering first chance they get is not deserved. Nobody seems to hold Dunkirk against the English.

Posted by: Magnet ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 07:01PM

Well, Steel, were you as enthralled and faithful as you claim to be, we would not have drawn your attention, even for a moment.

Please be sure to visit the main page.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 07:07PM

What a joke Steel.

The Mormon church worthless? In some regards, yes. Powerless? No way. They are a financial force and a political force to be reckoned with. But even more, they are a psychological force that leaves a path of spiritual destruction.

The Mormon church is insidious in its damage as it perniciously twists the natural trust of its members into doing things that benefit no one but the Q15. Members are coerced into acting in a manner that is against their own nature and against their own best interest.

The Mormon church rips families apart and pits life long friends against each other. They take money from the poor to fill their coffers. All this is accomplished through indoctrination and brainwashing fed by fear.

Powerless? Don't make me laugh. Because it really isn't funny.

Posted by: not logging in ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 08:29PM

"This, the Church of the Lord in these latter days, it's a clear as the moonlight, as bright as the sun, and as strong as an army."

And you, Steel, deserve a medal of pure ziff for your string of trite, hackneyed clichés. Kudos to your laughable third-grade level writing skills, and special recognition for using "these latter days." Not everyone is capable of writing such mindless tripe, but you managed to pull it off without effort.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 01, 2016 11:15PM

Steel Wrote:
> If all of you don't want to do with the Church and
> are happy with your life, why to bother in
> fighting against what you believe is worthless and
> powerless.

I do so because the lying cult you call a church still has family members and friends I care about in its evil clutches. It steals their money, rots their brains, and causes them great harm. I do so to try and get the evil cult you call a church to loose its grip on those I care about.

> Let me leave this for your to ponder:
> This, the Church of the Lord in these latter days,
> it's a clear as the moonlight, as bright as the
> sun,and as strong as an army. Use your talents and
> time for a better cause. Peace to all.

Since plain and verifiable evidence shows your statement to be clearly wrong, I can only surmise that either you are ignorant of facts and evidence, or you don't care about them -- in either case, you're flat-out wrong. And ridiculously arrogant for making such a clearly false claim in the midst of people who have thoroughly studied the issues and evidence (unlike you).

Peace to you too.
A great way to find peace is to open your brain, learn some facts, and get out of the cult that is rotting your brain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2016 11:15PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 09:47AM

"If all of you don't want to do with the Church and are happy with your life, why to bother in fighting against what you believe is worthless and powerless."

Why did Holocaust survivor Simon Wiesenthal spend the rest of his life searching for Nazis who had committed ward crimes during WWII?

"Let me leave this for your to ponder:
This, the Church of the Lord in these latter days, it's a clear as the moonlight, as bright as the sun,and as strong as an army."

The subject of this thread is Mormons who are leaving the church en masse. If the church is so wonderful, why are so many people quitting it?

Another question for you: How do you feel about Joseph Smith Jr. having sex with other mens' wives?

Posted by: wondercat ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 11:29PM

randyj wrote:

>> Why did Holocaust survivor Simon Wiesenthal spend the rest of his life searching for Nazis who had committed **ward** crimes during WWII? <<

hey, randyj, I love your Freudian slippage! ;-)

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 05:37PM

*pondering*

*pondering*

*pondering*

Nope.

It's all still a bunch of nonsense, and today's church is nothing more than a real estate conglomerate.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 07:26PM

Pay your tithing first they said...youll be blessed beyond measure...I wasnt...have all the kids you can....gawd will help you support them...He or she didnt...and gawd said thru his earthly orifice try me...and see if i dont pour out a blessing you cant contain...I did...He didnt...when i was a child i thought as a child...when i grew up i knew it was time to put away childish things...it just took several decades ill never get back...but my children will now live free of the wretchedness belief in a false edifice brings...hope you get there someday too Steel...or perhaps youll enjoy the turd smmiches for eternity..good to see you scouting those who finally figgered it out...welcome...see you around..sooner or later most have to pull off the blindfold and hike up their big kid pants...fairy tales never paid for a cup of water

Posted by: Steel ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 12:42AM

Your all deceived by the adversary.

The natural man is an enemy of god, wide is the gate you have all found, narrow is the way to salvation.

Cease to kick against the pricks and humble yourselves before it is to late.

Posted by: not logging in ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 01:09AM

That's the best you can do, Steel? Is that all you've got? LOL.

Spouting the same tired church horseshit that each of us has already heard hundreds of times is not going to make anyone stop and reconsider their views. You apparently haven't had a single original thought in your entire life. You impress no one, and have no idea how ridiculous you sound.

If you truly imagine you have anything to teach us with your limited reasoning ability, you're the one who needs a dose of humility.

And you have no proof that we're deceived at all, much less by your imaginary "adversary." Get a grip.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 01:13AM

Steel Wrote:
> Your all deceived by the adversary.
>
> The natural man is an enemy of god, wide is the
> gate you have all found, narrow is the way to
> salvation.
>
> Cease to kick against the pricks and humble
> yourselves before it is to late.

What will happen if I don't cease to kick against the pricks?
oh tell.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 07:31AM

Cursed with a black skin?

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 09:51AM

"Your all deceived by the adversary."

The adversary is Satan, right? According to LDS doctrine, Satan is the father of lies, right? The LDS church has to tell many lies about its history and its doctrine in order to attract and maintain converts and members. Meaning, the LDS church is the adversary, and it is the party which is doing the deceiving.

Date: November 02, 2016 01:14AM

The Adversary is on quite a roll, wouldn't you say, Steel?

Another anti-gay 'revelation' and the rate of 'decay' of the church will increase.

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: November 02, 2016 07:11AM

Thank you Steel for starting my day with such a gag (guffaw). You obviously need some cuddling. Love you man. Now if you will pardon me, I got go make a cup of jo.

Posted by: Magnet ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 12:34AM

Here we are, all supporting the words of Elder Jensen, and poor Steel disputing him and his reference to the 15 being very aware of and caring about the "droves" leaving the church.

I think you should blog about this issue, Steel. Be sure to state how wrong you believe Elder Jensen and the 15 to be. Use your real name, so they know your devotion to truth.

You might want to leave out the part where you call them the adversary for speaking to this issue. We won't rat you out, but as a proud TBM, you should bear your heart-felt testimony for all to witness.

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 04:58AM

You must have hit a cord. Peggy Fletcher Slack of the Salt Lake Trib presents this information.

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/4535962-155/mass-exodus-from-mormonism-lds-stats

Date: November 03, 2016 08:45AM

Remember the days when the mantra was "the fastest growing church on the face of the earth"? I think that was used until recently.

Now the new mantra is "we're holding steady, numbers wise"

Kind of catchy, isn't it???

I also thought it was telling that they made a clear distinction that it's a small percentage of overall membership that formally resigns , , , , as if we didn't know that huge numbers of people simply walk away, never to return. I guess that keeps the 15 warm at night.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 06:52AM

Steel isn't on a roll, more like a 'troll'.

I don't buy it. Sounds too trite, hackneyed, and overly sincere.

In either case, go away.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.