Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 08:22PM

Is their touching faith in their leaders. Have you ever talked to someone LDS who is seriously preparing for the end of the world? There is a common theme that the GA's will call people to Salt Lake, warn them of calamities, give advice from the pulpit. They are all just waiting for the day to come when the church will send semi-trucks to ward buildings so people can load up their food storage and begin the hike back to Salt Lake City. (Yes, I know several people who believe this.) They honestly, truly believe that the Mormon church has some plan ready to scoop all the faithful home to the bosom of the church and keep them safe - or as safe as they can be. Their leaders will protect them if they are prepared. Of this, the Preppers are certain.

It's like watching trusting children who you know are going to be stood up by their Deadbeat Dads when they need their dad's the most. Heartbreaking.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: romy ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 08:28PM

Hmmm, I didn't know there was a group of people who believed we would all hike back to salt lake together during food storage times, I wonder what my parents think?

Even when I was still TBM I never cared about food storage and my mom would bug me about it sometimes. She would buy me some to start my collection with every now and then and I would tell her I wasn't too concerned because when food storage time came around she would find me back at home living with her and all her piles of it.

Posted by: PeacePrincess ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 08:35PM

I always thought they were all prepping to hike to Jackson County, Missouri. Or was there yet another doctrinal change I'm not aware of?

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 08:40PM

Why would I want to go to Utah in the event of a disaster?

Apparently these people haven't read their scriptures. SLC will be the most wicked city, and the mo's will be headed for Missouri.

Unless they re-wrote that when I wasn't paying attention. They do that every now and again.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 08:44PM

I think every TBM believed we'd be packing up and heading to Missouri in the 70's when I was still attending. I don't associate with many Mormons anymore, so I don't personally know anyone who believes this now. But there's a website where a bunch of them hang out. I think it's the Freedom Forum or something like that. Scary!

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 08:59PM

ok here goes, I'm outing myself as a former lds doomsday prepper.

I come from a 7th gen tbm family. my dad TOTALLY bought into it, and taught us likewise. Funny how when I finally came to grips with the fact that ld$inc. was a bunch of bullshite, I realised that I really don't care for dry pinto beans and wheat.
Oh well, I guess we will never starve.....live and learn.

Date: April 23, 2012 09:16PM

It's okay. You're forgiven:)
Beside pinto beans can be really good if they're fixed right.

Date: April 23, 2012 09:25PM

Thanks mia, I feel a little bit better now. **grins**

When I read the thread topic, I have to admit I wanted to hide under the table.....but I'm all better now. FEELS GREAT to come out of the doomsday prepper closet at last!

Date: April 23, 2012 09:30PM

There are plenty of Doomsday Preppers in the non-Mo world. But they aren't displaying a touching faith in a fundamentally dishonest leadership that will let them down.

That being said, I'm pretty thankful for the fact some people are really into food storage and emergency prep because it's the one subject I can talk at length with Mormons that doesn't want to make me pull my hair out. Some of it is pretty interesting. It's not the prepping that's sad - it's the hope of rescue that will never come that is.

Posted by: Otremer ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 09:09PM

... besides useing 'em for jerky.

Posted by: djmaciii ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 09:12PM

My dad had a client who he did genealogy for... Yea my dad was a professional genealogist... Anyway the guy bought caves in Utah to wait out the Apocalypse. The guy was 85! Like an 85 year old could survive in a cave.

Oh I find the dead beat dad kind offensive. Why not banshee wife?

Date: April 23, 2012 09:20PM

Whatever works for you. I was talking about the specific sort of parent that promises their kids they will come to their birthday party, or take them for the weekend, or go to Disneyland with them and then doesn't show up or calls and cancels at the last minute because something better came up. Their kids have their hopes up only to have them crushed. You know these parents exist and I used "Dad" because none of the General Authorities are women. They put themselves up as "father" figures who you should listen to and then won't show up when their "kids" are counting on them.

I'm not sure why it would offend you to refer to men as dads. Is there another term I don't know about?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 09:21PM by CA girl.

Posted by: djmaciii ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 10:29PM

You must have ESP! The whole reason I was butt hurt was because I wanted to take my kid to Disneyland this week and the ex wont let her go because she will miss 2 days of school

Date: April 23, 2012 11:00PM

Oh dj, that's so unfair what your ex is doing. Your daughter is really lucky to have a dad who wants to spend time with her. Knowing how much she's loved is more important than anything she could learn in 2 days at school. I hope you get to take her some time soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 11:01PM by CA girl.

Posted by: Can't Resist ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 09:27PM

There is an elite circle within moism that believes that only those who are prepared (with a full 2-year supply +) will be called up, secretly not over the pulpit, to take all of their food storage into the hills to escape the hellscape that is coming.

I saw an old book about this that family members were using to prepare for the end. It's not enough to be a regular TBM, according to this family and the crowds they associate with. Anyone know what book? Or heard of this?

Date: April 23, 2012 09:39PM

All I know is that my dad wAs an uber cleon skousen fan. That dude, skousen, was one effed up tool.

geez, sometimes I want to time travel to the past and just shake the stupid out of myself...........face palm.....

Date: April 23, 2012 10:18PM

Yeah, Cleon Skousen. I've gotta look into that.

Ambivalentmo, you sound angry and frustrated but certainly not stupid... Then or now. You've gotta go easy on yourself, girl.

Date: April 23, 2012 10:24PM

Believe me, I know. Im a'workin on it, slowly and painfully....:)

Date: April 23, 2012 10:41PM

Hang in there... Take good care of yourself.

Date: April 23, 2012 09:34PM

If things get that bad, I want to be one of the first to go (as in die). Why would you want to survive, just to have to live in the hills with a bunch of mormons. The attraction to that escapes me.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 10:55PM

ditto

;o)

Posted by: StiffNekid ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 11:24PM

The saddest thing of all is that you won't know who is really controlling your destiny and life. We have complete control. The world isn't coming to an end. We only give you something to occupy your concious mind with while we have complete control of your subconcious.

Posted by: StiffNekid ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 11:26PM

Oops....heheh....slight typo. conscious and subconscious. Kids, don't smoke marijuana, don't drink expensive vodka.

Date: April 23, 2012 11:44PM

Thumbs up!

Posted by: romy ( )
Date: April 24, 2012 12:59AM

This thread reminded me of a site a ran across a while back when googling for mormon articles etc. involving the area I grew up in.

http://www.reliefmine.com/

It is pretty strange.

Posted by: idk ( )
Date: November 24, 2012 01:41AM

That is the saddest thing i have ever heard, just so so sad. Please tell these people to get some therapy and help ASAP!!!!

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: November 24, 2012 03:07AM

idk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is the saddest thing i have ever heard, just
> so so sad. Please tell these people to get some
> therapy and help ASAP!!!!

very sad, they need help.

Truck their food to SLC? Walk to SLC? These poor folks!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 24, 2012 06:46AM

You make such a good point! T S C C as a deadbeat dad? Sadly that analogy works all too well!

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: November 24, 2012 06:49AM

What is the point of sending missionaries offshore if there is belief that only UTAH AND MISSOURI will be safe? I know that I heard that we'd hie to Jerusalem but seriously, right now, in 2012, would you?

Mormonism is only for Americans in American America, specifically the mid west. It is tiny, Utahcentric and mad as a box of frogs.

Briggy

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 24, 2012 07:50AM

http://www.december212012.com/CDC.htm

and what will become of your TBM friends when the world does not end?

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: November 24, 2012 08:10AM

My ex is one of those TBM doomsday preppers and he drove me crazy with it. He had this big map on the wall where he tracked all the latest wars, rumors of wars, earthquakes and other weather events for years, determined they were all signs from god. I refused to buy into it or participate, so I'm sure he's gotten worse over the years since I left.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: November 24, 2012 06:09PM

I really hope they centralize all their food storage.

That will make it much easier to steal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.