Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: April 25, 2012 11:27PM

While you were still TBM, how often did you notice anti-Mormon websites? Was it easy or did you have to actively search for them? When you searched for info on the church did you have to be careful not to accidentally click on one? Did you care if you accidentally clicked on one?

It still boggles my mind that most Mormons have not discovered the truth about the church online but I understand they are so brainwashed they they don't dare.

What was your experience navigating the web as a believer trying not to land on the evil anti-Mormon's websites?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rgrraymond ( )
Date: April 25, 2012 11:44PM

I was out of the church 23 years before I would look at anything ant mormon. I never realized how much of my life was still controlled by the cult. I knew the church was false, I did not really know why. But now I know and feel completely different. Very free.

Posted by: happilynotmormon ( )
Date: April 25, 2012 11:45PM

I found them on about half of my searches when I was looking for YW or Primary ideas. If anything looked like it might have been "anti" I would not click on it, or if I accidently clicked on it I'd quickly hit my back button. It seems stupid in retrospect, if I would have read things on sites like this one sooner it would have saved me a lot of grief and money. :-) But, as a tbm, I was afraid to read anti material on the net, like it would hurt me or something.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 12:04AM

I never once saw anything anti-Mormon on the web. The first time I did ... well, you know what happened. I'm here, after all.

I'm not sure if I never saw them or never noticed. It's amazing in life how you see what you want to see and I never wanted to see anything outside the church. Not because I was happy in the church but because I didn't blame my unhappiness on the church. So there was no reason to even notice anything or anyone who did.

Posted by: pathdocmd ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 05:56PM

Ditto! The answer is never. My mental filter worked flawlessly. The power of the mind is amazing.

Date: April 26, 2012 11:59AM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 12:30PM

I had been inactive for a long time and had been a nonbeliever for about 18 months when my exmo therapist told me about this site. I had NO CLUE there was anti stuff on the internet.

I must add that I have worked from home on a computer for 22 or more years. Gives you an idea of how much time I work on a computer and I'd never noticed any anti stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 12:31PM by cl2.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 12:40PM

I wasn't bright enough to even consider that it existed other than furtive characters in dark alleys handing out subversive tracts.

One day I was looking for info on Dwight Eisenhour.

That led me to Salamander Society. I read there for a few weeks feeling naughty reading the satire.

On Salamander there was that constant link to exmormon.org.

I was really naughty and clicked it.

Posted by: faithnomore ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 12:49PM

Ironically, I started dipping my toes into the "Anti" water by reading topics on FAIR (I was trying to avoid straight-up Anti sites at the time). I think that the FAIR website did more to push me out of the church than any other site that I looked at. Most of the appologetics used on those posts were so brain-numbingly stupid and infeasible that I had to turn to the Google God for answers. Once I started Googling for topics and threw away the blinders, I quickly found sites like RfM that led me the rest of the way out. Once you want to look, the information is abundant. :D

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 02:23PM

I never knew such a thing existed till someone told me about one. People need to be told about the problems of Mormonism, they are hard to find if you are not looking.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 06:47PM

When I was a TBM there was no internet.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 09:07PM

There were the occasional cheesy paper tracts, but you had to go out of your way to find them, (and usually they were more sensational than accurate).

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 08:51PM

Like others, FAIR was one site I looked at since it was something I could get away with reading. I could never do a Google search when I was married to my TBM ex, since if he found out, it would have been really nasty.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 09:25PM

"It still boggles my mind that most Mormons have not discovered the truth about the church online"

Ex-CultMember, sure it boggles the mind. But Mormons don't want to know the truth. They're much too busy being impressed with themselves to actually join the human race and use their God-given brains to think.

Date: April 29, 2012 04:06PM

So was I, but I guess I had intellectual curiosity. I "knew" the church was true but was curious what the critics had to say. I assumed they were just misconstruing the truth or outright lying about Mormonism. I thought "what could they possible say bad about the church?" I assumed I could refute anything they had to say.

Posted by: liberalbutteffer ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 09:43PM

I have a confession to make. I was an asshole who used to read a few sentences of the stories posted here and say, "These people just don't know what they're talking about. They're spouting anti-Mormon lies and they must all be gay and unable to control themselves which is why they left the church." Then, I would try to push it out of my head and ignore it but it bothered me. I'm sorry guys. I think I even sent hateful emails.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 09:43PM by liberalbutteffer.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 11:26PM

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: April 27, 2012 12:34AM

There is only one true website, lds.org.

I actually ended up on josephlied.com (org?) after seeing a protestor at Conference. I don't even remember how I ended up here, after seeing various other forums--I liked this one best. I used to get that little pit in the stomach like I knew I was doing something bad--that indoctrination sticks with you--and, even as I type this, I feel like I'm betraying my TBM wife, who hates you all very, very much. :)

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: April 27, 2012 12:32PM

There were 'anti-Mormons' at the annual pageant we'd go to and they would give out tracts. Frankly they were not very good and not convincing. They used the 'my Jesus is better than your Jesus thing'.

They should have harped on BofA, BofM anachronisms, temple & masonry, polyandry, etc. Those things would have given me pause back then but not just harping on Joseph for fighting back when they were trying to kill him and other minor issues.

The Internet has improved the communication of the most serious problems of Mormonism. Perhaps the biggest reason is now most of those providing the information are former members and not evangelical never-mos just trying to convert you to another faith.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: April 27, 2012 05:41PM

I read The Godmakers at 18, 5 months before I went to the temple for the first time.

Left 20 years later.

But I still believe the church's own materials are the most damning.

My personal favorite:

Temple and Cosmos - Hugh Nibley.

That is one crazy ass book.

Date: April 29, 2012 01:18PM

Posted by: Ima Lurker ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 01:47PM

Never until I found this site. Well, sometimes my husband would pull up youtube videos for me to watch about mormons and their "magic underwear" or "jesus jammies". And that would sometimes lead me to other videos about the temple, since I haven't been through. I was curious.

But seriously, it never occurred to me that there was a chance that the church wasn't true. I just thought that people fell into inactivity by being too busy with other things. I never knew people left the church because they no longer believed it's teachings!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 04:07PM

Didn't have any access to the web for many years.
When I did have access, I found the primary, documented sources that I could use to back my non-belief in the claims. That was the late 1990's.

Posted by: PeacePrincess ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 05:49PM

Because when I quit the church, the Internet in the public domain was only in its infancy.

I only discovered the "Mormonism X-Posed" kind of websites in the following decade while reading the "Is There Room in Heaven for Women" issue of the feminist magazine "Off Our Backs," and of course, Recovery from Mormonism is one of those sites I eventually discovered.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 05:54PM

When you are a TBM, everything is anti-Mormon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.