Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: flash ( )
Date: April 28, 2012 03:17PM

Reading the many posts on resigning, I began wondering if anybody resigned their membership as a missionary. I can picture an Elder throwing his nametag and a letter of resignation on the MP desk, then walking out and catching a flight home. The opening scenes of the old 'Prisoner' TV show come to mind.

Does anyone know of someone doing that? Or do Elders just sneak away and find their own way back home? Inquiring minds need to know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: April 28, 2012 03:19PM

Most sneak away. I came very close to resigning on the mission. I quit attending church for the last couple of months and was an inactive in the mission. It was quite an interesting experince.

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: April 28, 2012 03:27PM

Have you told that story here? I'd live to read about it.

Posted by: flash ( )
Date: April 28, 2012 07:33PM

I 2nd this request for 'dthenonreligious' to post the story of being inactive on his mission. So On Sundays you just hung out at your flat?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 28, 2012 03:26PM

A surprising number of members don't even know resignation is an option - part of the reason the CHI won't use the term, calling it name removal instead.

Over the last ten years or so, more Mormons are aware that they can resign, so I expect at some point a missionary will resign as they wave adios to the MP, if it hasn't happened already.

I did meet one senior missionary who resigned after his senior mission, but the couple did finish the mission first. It does show that it is never too late, and you are never too old to see reality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2012 03:26PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: April 28, 2012 03:27PM

No, but after serving "honorably" during my mission and serving both as a district and zone leader, I confessed to my mission president during my "exit interview" on my last, that I no longer believed in the church. I'm sure it was quite the shock to him.

Posted by: gjoth ( )
Date: April 28, 2012 03:30PM

I lost any faith I had. Met some wonderful people who made me thonk, nothing anti, just scientific. I talked to MP about losing faith, not wanting to attend church, etc. His respone was, let me know when you figure it out so I can help others. I wasn't aware resigning was an option.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.