Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: emma ( )
Date: April 28, 2012 07:53PM

And do they still talk to you. My family know i have left the church, but they have no idea just how strongly i feel about the church. I tend to think no one would want anything to do to me if they found out i thought the church is a cult. DH is taking a religious class and there is a part about cults. I am dreading it because i am afraid he will ask me directly about it. I have no clue what i would say.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: April 28, 2012 09:21PM

I told my family that I think the church is a cult. I'm a return missionary married in the temple and at 35 years old I figured it out.

My family does not talk to me and they support my TBM ex-wife.

It's been 8 years and there has been no communication.

To me, that further proves its a cult.

Posted by: PeacePrincess ( )
Date: April 28, 2012 11:36PM

I 2nd that motion!

Exactly what I was thinking all along.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 08:47AM

That's right praydude. Follow the program and if you don't you are shunned. Related to me or not, you are a no good piece of scum for leaving this cult. I say congrats to you for being honest and shame on them for loving an organization more than their own child. All their hateful actions prove they are a cult.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: April 28, 2012 10:35PM

I'm working on it...
Unfortunately, my exit letter is turning into a novella..
Seriously.
I may need an editor for this monster :)

Why, just this very day I read an illuminating article on rfm.
Seems another young gay Mormon has committed suicide.
I'll need an editor to cull the frequent cursing and blasphemy from the thing........
Yes, today I have confirmation, with every fiber of my being,
that the morg is a cult.
Now, saying that on rfm is one thing.
Saying it coherently and clearly, logically to my family is another..

It's probably going to be a while......

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: April 28, 2012 11:21PM

"We are not a cult" and walked out of the room. Very cultish. Now I know how to get rid of her.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 12:14AM

I don't even think I could convince them JS was a con man and a pervert, let alone that he created a cult.

It would be a pointless mission to go on at best.

If I can show them that my life is better without moism, I've made huge progress with them.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 12:20AM

yep, I totally relate.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 12:16AM

I was definitely a nonbeliever. I was actually always the most mormon in my family--though my family is mormon. I was the DEVOUT believer, but I had been a nonbeliever for about 2 years when my niece said at Thanksgiving that her nonmo husband would not allow their children to be baptized into a cult.

For many in my family--when I quit believing, it was either, "it is about time" (niece and nephews) or for my inactive siblings "if she doesn't believe, then maybe I don't have to!!!"

I certainly have lucked out where family is concerned.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 08:48AM

It was my mother who told me she thought it was a cult and I finally agreed. I'm sure my Dad thinks it is too. They're just relieved that I left.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 10:07AM

but if they decide to bring up the subject of church, I'm pretty good at placing mormonism where it belongs with other similar religions. Comparing, and such. Mormons like to think they're special, just like people in other other religions think they're the special ones.

The transitive property... if A is a cult, and you're just like them, then....

They get defensive, and the conversation ends.

Posted by: StiffNekid ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 10:47AM

I don't ever want to talk religion with my parents again. I'm in a crappy place in my life at almost 40. And I see no end to the crappy nature of things in my life. My head ain't right. I'm done hoping.

Discussing religion with my parents is one thing I really don't want to do again. I told my mom I just didn't believe. She said it was ok I didn't go on a mission.....that wasn't what I was talking about. It's that "I just don't believe Joseph Smith and mormonism"

Well, I just don't wanna hurt my parents. They've done too much for me. The world is a crappy place anyway. There is no bright happy shining world outside of the "cult". Escape is futile. They allow me freedom to pretend I'm free. That's all. I'm still part of the program, the good man who lost his way and didn't find the way back. that's all that I will ever be.

Study anthropology. You are only what your culture allows you, wants you to be. There are too many with solid culture to back them up.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 11:09AM

I tried, but if you hold a mirror up to a cult member they cannot see themselves. They can however see Satan pulling your strings.

Posted by: djmaciii ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 11:18AM

I told my dad the morg was a cult, and he defended the mormon church, even though he is out. My dad was the last hold out after each member of our family left one by one. I was the first to go, then my mom and siblings. My dad finally stopped going after he realized he could no longer use the church to control us.

Posted by: Socrates2 ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 11:51AM

ultimately will get you nowhere.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 12:15PM

+1 Telling a mormon they are in a cult is the same as telling a woman, "No, that dress does not make you look fat, your fat makes you look fat." Don't expect a lovely evening after that.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 08:56PM

I told my mother I thought the church was a cult, and her response was "Well, I don't like the stigma attached to that word, but your (TBM) father and I agree with you. We have thought for years that The church technically meets the definition, and there are some negative cultish behaviors among members. It's a problem we have and we need to work on it."

So basically, my parents think they are in a cult, but they don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 09:02PM

wow

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 09:31PM

They know I don't believe, but I see no reason to tell them their religion is a cult. That would just stir things up and nothing good would coe of it.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 09:33PM

I told my parents, brothers, and one of my sisters. Of course they all left the church. My four TBM sisters, I wouldn't dare breath a word to them, less I lose what relationship I have left with them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.