Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bornagainintheusa ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 10:41AM

My DIL went to a Women's Conference on Saturday & made this statement:
"are you looking thru dirty windows?"

Does anyone know what that means?
I heard it has something to do with Thomas S. Monson's talk.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 10:45AM

Tell her that if she says anything stupid like that again that you will "clean her windows".

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 10:54AM

However, and here is where silly analogies fail, I can still see all the things that are out there on my deck.

So, 'perfectly clean' is not required.

Posted by: Thithter Thim ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 11:25AM

How funny. I just read a Facebook status of one of my friends that states:

"Today I am starting fresh..."with clean windows!" Today is going to be a wonderful day. I love President Monson...I'm looking forward to hearing all the leaders this weekend!"

lol

Oh and edited to add: apparently it was "such a cute story" There's nothing cute about any of that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 11:28AM by Thithter Thim.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 11:53AM

Monson gave a talk at Women's conference about a woman who was always watching out her window as her neighbor hung out her laundry to dry. The woman constantly griped to her husband about how dirty the supposedly clean laundry was and made fun of her neighbor for not knowing how to do laundry properly. She complained about her neighbor every day and then one day, she looked out the window and to her surprise, the neighbor had beautifully clean laundry hanging on the line. The woman expressed her surprise to her husband that the neighbor had finally learned to to laundry decently. The husband said he knew why. The husband said he had gotten tired of his wife's complaining and gotten up very early that morning ... and washed their windows.

The point was not to judge others through your own dirty windows. Here's a link to the talk:

http://new.lds.org/general-conference/watch/2010/10?vid=617976890001&cid=7&lang=eng

Date: September 27, 2010 01:17PM

aaahhh. . . .
the comment makes more sense now.
However, I notice that nothing is said about the wife complaining or criticizing the neighbor in the first place.
I would think that something would have been said to the wife not to be doing that.
Instead, they focus on making sure you are looking thru "clean windows."
Kinda sounds like skirting the issue.

Posted by: justme ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 02:53AM

Is this talk available in written form? I couldnt'd bear that sound of voice when I opened the link but didn't found sources to read this conference talk.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 11:20AM

Posted by: Mo Larkey ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 11:56AM

LDS Husband and wife were eating breakfast and drinking postum,reading the church Snooze and the wife kept bitching about how dirty the neighbors laundry was that was hanging on the clothes line. This went on for weeks until one morning she commented on how clean and white and delightsome the laundry was. Husband say's I cleaned the fricken windows now go take your anti depressants and read the ensign and Iron my shirt!

Posted by: Thithter Thim ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 11:58AM

Ah, that all makes sense. What a concept! lol Too bad it'll never catch on. Everything is always how it appears, and never could be anything else.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 12:01PM

stories needed? I guess they help children remember lessons...like Mother Goose stories. This was for adults tho, and very obviously made up. How could anyone only see the dirty windows spots on the laundry and not on the rest of the world? Plus how does this relate at all? Is it supposed to be if you are a sinner you can't possibly see correctly enough to judge others? What a bunchofcrap!

I just don't get it. I wonder if I was a TBM at the conference I would have felt the spirit sooooo strongly. I really hope I would have had the same thoughts I am having now.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 01:30PM

In this case, it's a story with a message for anyone.

It's like the story of the man who did his exercise running a block and walking a block. Those that lived in the blocks thought he either ran to do his exercise, or walked for his exercise. Actually he did both.
But, we only see what is right in front of us and make a judgment that is often not accurate.
I like stories.

Posted by: Tommy boy ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 01:33PM

Oh, I thought it said Dirty Widows. Nevermind.

Posted by: Flecher ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 01:46PM

Dirty Windows is my operating system.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 01:57PM

My old grandma used to say, "Want a better outlook on life? Wash your windows."

Tommy has yet to say anything new.

I like GOOD stories, and Monson's story is lame! He needs a better writer--someone like Mo Larkey!

Speaking of skirting the issue, the woman in the story had waaaay too much time on her hands. A better ending would be that she gets off her butt and helps the neighbor hang the laundry, gets a job, volunteers somewhere, or at least washes the windows herself.

Date: September 27, 2010 02:08PM

I like your solution!
for her to get out & help!

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 02:39PM

Then again, my neighbors use a dryer not a clothesline. :)

Posted by: topojoejoe ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 02:55PM

I got twin 3 year olds... in my neighbourhood, everyone's laundry is dirty. That is, if I still lived in the 40's and they all hung their laundry out to dry.
Frankly, I am too busy cleaning the floors, the walls, the counters, runny noses, doing laundry myself, working, and worrying, to care about anybody else's dirty laundry.
I agree, that woman has too much time in her hands, I bet her visiting teachers have to bring her meals when she gets a sniffle, and the home teachers have to help them move.

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 05:22PM

Too bad the church cant use the "dirty windows" analogy in its judgement of homosexuality.

Posted by: Jenny ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 05:49PM

For me it wasn't that the bitchy woman with dirty windows just couldn't see clearly that her neighbor did, indeed, know how to get her whites sparkling, it was that she was ragging on her in the first place. SO WHAT if the neighbor isn't the best laundress on the block. SO WHAT if her clothes are pristine. SO WHAT.

That this was an issue that BW was wasting even one breath on is something that BW herself needs to spend some time thinking about, dirty windows or not. The issue wasn't that she couldn't see clearly because of her own flaws, it was that she was spending so much time pointing them out and being a negative hag.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 01:04PM

Ah, but if the mormons spent their time doing productive stuff, they might come in contact with the 'big bad world' out there and realize that there are more productive ways to spend your time than going to the temple and sitting thru a boring movie. Better to have them criticizing the neighbors than out there joining them.

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 07:43AM

neighbor's laundry: The dog didn't need a bath, and neither did they need to wash their cars.

It was their laundry and only their laundry that was dirty?

And the moral to the story was to clean your own windows? What ever happened to the "rose-colored glasses" analogy?

Did he include any scriptures such as "Judge not that ye be not judged?"

This reminds me of a commercial from the 70's: "We talk to you like you are children because if we talk to you like adults, you don't listen."

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 08:18AM

DIRTY WINDOWS
a story by
Timmy Monson

DW: "Honey, the neighbor lady doesn't know how to do laundry!"

DH: That's great, babe. Can I axe you a question?"

DW: "Certainly, dear!"

DH: "Who gives a s**t? ... Now get off your lazy a** and clean the f**king windows!"

They never axed me to give talks at conference. I wonder why.

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2010 08:18AM by Timothy.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 08:41AM

Jesus used the saying of looking for your neighbors speck when we have a beam (log) in our own eye.

Oh, that's right- Jesus did his thing already. Monsons got the reigns now.

Date: September 28, 2010 09:53AM

we need an "I Like" button on here :)

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 09:25AM

:-)

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 12:25PM

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 11:45AM

So the stupid woman could notice dirty laundry in the next yard but not a dirty window inches away from her face? How is this supposed to be uplifting?

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 01:42PM

Thank goodness her wiser husband saw the problem and fixed it for her.

Maybe this story is to help women realize that they can't always see clearly and they need someone (probably a priesthood holder) to fix their perspective FOR them. Because they are too stupid to see the obvious.

BUT

If either one of these characters were real, her husband would probably have said:

Um . . . that big old splotch is birdpoop on YOUR window, Honey!

I know MY husband would be mocking me bigtime if I was sitting in the living room criticizing the domestic skills of the neighbors.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 03:17PM

A housewife continually harped on how dirty her neighbor's laundry was as it was drying on the clothesline.

Her husband grew weary of this and prayed to Heavenly Father for a solution to cease his wife's constant criticism.

Heavenly Father answered the faithful husband's prayers and struck his wife blind.

End of Story.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 01:08PM

Don't pick on your neighbours. OR ELSE!!!!!

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 01:16PM

She might have a slightly less sh****y outlook on life. Now there's a good moral!

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 28, 2011 01:32PM

Reminds me of the talk L. Tom Perry gave about "cleaning out the corners" in our lives. Don't do a naughty sin, or you may be flecked with little flecks of history.

But go to your bishop and tell all and you'll be clean--maybe.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.