Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Toasty ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 10:53AM

I need to vent somewhere-- my grandparents have just returned from a foreign mission where they were worked to the bone and now that they've been back two weeks, they are being sent on a full-time "service" mission for a year! This new position involves hard labor and is taking over for what up until now was a paid position. Unbelievable, but also angry that even though they are tired, they're just shrug their shoulders and accept it as "God's Will." Wake up people, you're in a cult and while you hate me for it, I'm the only one in the family that can see it right now! Why isn't their bishop or stake president speaking up and saying they deserve a break?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 01:08AM

…as it can get away with. Any bishop or stake president who would get in the way of this goal by speaking up on behalf of the overworked member would be either reprimanded or released. It is their job to gloss over the members’ feelings or their physical exhaustion and instead tell them how “blessed” they will be for their faithfulness.

It is very frustrating to see our loved ones being taken advantage of. “Wake up, you’re in a cult” is a perspective they cannot open to until they are ready.

Posted by: New Victoria ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 06:23AM

(Sorry, I can't edit)

They have no air conditioning, and they can't sleep, it is so hot.

She has been sick, but still hasn't missed one day of labor, not one church meeting, not one English class, not one counseling session. They aren't allowed breaks at work, to get up and walk around. Old people have circulation problems, you know! Wow, I would never have my employees work under those conditions--it is cruel! Let alone not paying them anything!

She asked permission to come home and help with the birth of her daughter's first child--but that is "not allowed." Not allowed? Isn't this volunteer work? Another daughter had surgery, and she wasn't allowed to go home and help out with the kids, etc.--not even for a few days. Our favorite aunt died, and she and her husband were not allowed to come home for the funeral, either.

She called me yesterday, and said she can't seem to get well, and has lost tons of weight. She said that the mission president gave her a special blessing, though. WTF? No doctor? No days off to rest? Just a blessing.

All I said was, "It sounds like you are in prison, or something. When are you coming home?" She said, "In 432 days."

Cult cult cult cult cult cult cult cult!

Posted by: duffy ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 07:57AM

It was one thing when I was 24 yrs old and very naive. But to do this to senior citizens is beyond the pale. What is TSCC thinking? Are they SO desperate for free labor that they will exploit old people now? This is SICK!

Posted by: archaicoctober ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 04:11PM

I wouldn't call it "desperate" for free labor, its just part of the indoctrination process, IMO. Just like with the younger missionaries, the more you convince someone to give to the church the more likely you are to stay in the fold.

My grandmother and grandfather were called to "serve" the Lord (which really means serve the church) by managing our bishop's storehouse, which in the eastern US means your servicing several states. Anyone who has worked even an evening or 2 in the storehouse or cannery understands that this is WORK, not just some spiritual desk job. Due to several years of working in this capacity my grandmother's health took a turn for the worst and suffered some minor strokes. The doctor told her to stop the work, but my grandmother refused because of Nephiesque faith in the Lord's ability to deliver her from her ailments. My grandfather, in his late 70s, asked for a release from his calling and was basically given the runaround by the church bureaucracy. My grandmother finally had "the big one", so to speak, and was left physically and mentally ravaged. When it became apparent my grandfather could not function in his capacity as full-time worker and full-time caregiver he was given a reluctant release by the brethren.

Fast forward 3 years, at Grandma's funeral. We are all sad that she is gone, but it wasn't a shock seeing as she was in a half vegetative state for the last few years of her life, being lovingly tended to by her patient and long suffering husband. Had they not been so strong in their faith, had their leaders had half a heart (or brain), this probably wouldn't have happened. As for Grandpa, he is still a member of the church despite his bitterness, working a full time temple position.

Everything task, from Senior "service" Missions to the nursery supervisors, has a design. You invest your Sundays, your Monday nights, an additional night, 5 + hours a week during high school, every other weekend for a random function, 2 entire years in the prime of your life, and whatever else might be asked of you. When you invest enough you won't even want to consider if the sacrifices you are making are pointless. It happens at every level of the church. When the church becomes a significant part of your identity you cannot just shut it off, and for the elderly it has only fossilized further.

The church is wealthy. They have no "need" for this free labor. But the convenience of free labor and deeper indoctrination rolled into one donut is too tasty to pass up.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.